PS3 Thread

Shropshire Slasher

(edited)

you know how to fix those ps2's that don't read discs? Mine stopped working after less than a year. I just took a screw driver, took the case off and found a dust ball the size of a nickel on the laser. Used a Q-tip and it worked perfectly.

Now that I think about it, one of those cleaning CD's, with the little brushes on it would probably work just as good.

Edited by NOFX

First off, Sony and Sharp are direct competitors--the two largest competing independently in the LCD market--so Sony doesn't sell them technology to my knowledge, and after doing some research (again) I still can't find any evidence that they do. I have however found several articles stating that Sharp and Sony compete and use different panels. For instance check this article out. Here we can see a partnership between Sony and Samsung as well as Sharp and Toshiba, but that's really it as far as the major manufacturers go.

PS2 failure rate: my friend who is completely obsessed with keeping his system clean is on his 5th PS2 due to defective systems (nearly all laser related). The laser gets misaligned and you have to void your warranty to fix it yourself. In addition, when working at Gamestop for a year and a half or so, I saw at least 1 broken ps2 come in every day. Usually it was 2, sometimes as many as 4. That's a little ridiculous. In my time there I saw about 6 broken XBOX's, 1 Gamecbube, a few PS1's, and no 360's. However, I only worked there for about 4 or 5 months after the 360's launched.

Sony's RootKit was worse than simple spying--it did some BAAAAD stuff, and anyone that knew how to exploit it basically owned your computer.

Removing the reverse compatibility was a crappy move, but I'm glad it wasn't removed on the higher end model (though I heard it was) because that would be really crappy.

By the way, I'm really glad you all like your systems, and I have no problem with people buying/owning PS3's, I just joined this convo because someone started bashing MS and called them money-grubbing while abdicating Sony...I had to jump in at that point. Just seeing how they treat their gaming division customers alone (when working at Gamestop) is enough to make you realize that Sony must hate its customers. :shrug03:

Fact is this: I'm happy with my 360, PC, and Wii--you guys are happy with your PS3's, and all that matters in that statement is that we're all happy! Just make sure, if you buy yourself a game system, that you enjoy it and it's all good. :peace:

Why can't we all just get along?

Edit: Crap, why do I always write so much?

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Coming from a consumer standpoint, none business model related. I am perfectly happy with my 7 cell processor, wifi enabled, high def movie playing, Linux installable PS3 that doesn't make me pay for the internet twice and comes comes with a rechargeable controller for $370. :)

Coming from a consumer standpoint, none business model related. I am perfectly happy with my 7 cell processor, wifi enabled, high def movie playing, Linux installable PS3 that doesn't make me pay for the internet twice and comes comes with a rechargeable controller for $370. :)

Good!

And I'm perfectly happy with my 360, so we're all good. :boing:

I found this article interesting as a non bias comparison between the two super-powers when it comes to graphical and computational power. This is a follow up to an article written about the two when the PS3 launched. http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-...one-year-later/

I've said from the beginning that the 360's graphics capabilities are much better than the PS3's but the PS3's cpu architecture is much more powerful (yet extremely difficult to program for). The PS3's Blue-Ray player was seen as a bad idea in the beginning but may be a huge benefit now with the HD-DVD format dying off. IMO the HD-DVD format was much better from the very beginning; network support out of the box and all of that plus the name makes it easier to understand that it is a better version of the DVD. People know what "HD" means which I think gives it a huge advantage. Early adapters of the Blue Ray format who bought the players (not PS3's) will be screwed when the new Blue Ray version 2 format becomes the norm. The only thing Blue Ray has going for it is the money backers (looks like a lot of pay-offs have taken place) which have resulted in a lot of defections.

they won't be totally screwed, they just won't be able to do a few things like network support and special features depending on which blu-ray player they bought. But in the end, their player will still play Blu-Ray disc just fine, which is what we all want anyway. There is alot less bloat on th disc.

Sony Makes all the technologies and then sells them to sharp and samsung. Sony does use better image processors so they will always have an edge.. is it worth the extra money? probably not.. but sony can definitely produce the best contrast ratio's this world has ever seen and they WONT let anyone catch up so if u want the BEST right THEN sony will always take the lead..

What? Wait...no. Sony doesn't "make" all the "technologies". In terms of LCDs Sony and Samsung are nearly-even partners in S-LCD, a manufacturing company that makes all the panels that go into both Sony and Samsung TVs (technically Samsung has one more share in the company than Sony and most world markets consider the arrangement to be Samsung selling TFT-LCD panels to Sony, and since last year Samsung opened a private venture manufacturing 60,000/month for themselves, out producing Sony by more than double!).

Sharp is among the biggest panel manufacturers (with nothing to do with Sony) and leads the industry in R&D.

If you want the "best contrast ratio this world has ever seen" I don't know why on Earth you would mention Sony since Pioneer has just trounced the entire industry with the Kuro boasting a previously unmeasurable 20,000:1 ratio on their 8th gen Plasmas.

I would make sure you have done your homework :D . I won't even touch your other post considering the context...

Strictly speaking with LCD technology and not taking into consideration plasma, I feel I should just simplify Mo's point.

Sony and Sharp are two completely different companies with different ways of making different technologies. Sharp does some things better than Sony, and Sony does some things better than Sharp, but they're completely different. :)

(Mav being concise for once)