DirectTV anyone?

Clueless

I am interested in personal experience if you guys have it. I know they won the JDPower satisfaction thing this year for satelite AND cable, but I wanna know how good it looks, and more importantly, does the weather affect it much like the old stereotype says?

Here in New Orleans...Cox cable really puts the screws to you in a bad way....less HD channels....and the digital tiers are split up into 4...all of which containing a few channels that you want so that you have to buy all 4 but at the same time, they try to convince you that you are getting choice....ya right. I told them that if they really wanted to offer choice...allow customers to chose a certain number of channels...even a fewer number than what is currently in a tier...and let them build their OWN lineup...i'm sure you can imagine the response....

Anyways...sick of getting bled for all the stuff that seems to come standard on DirectTV...so please...lemme know how it works and if the billing is really as good as it looks...or do they hit you with crap later.

When I had DirectTV in Montreal (y'arr) it worked great! The only time it lost signal was during an enormous snow storm, otherwise rain and overcast days didn't affect it at all. If I had to pay for all those channels I would sure have felt like an idiot though...

I've had DirectTV for at least 10 years now. I've been very happy with it. I probably notice an outage due to weather about 3 times a year but it's brief...maybe a minute or two at most. I think my internet goes out more than that.

I just have Total Choice (I believe) and no HD at this time. I do use the DVR/TIVO units and love them.

I guess my only complaint is the 5 bucks a room they charge after the first room. Very 1980's cable to me. So, I only have 2 rooms.

Course my reasoning for staying with DTV for 10 years is 100% NFL Sunday Ticket. I'd still probably be with DTV but I might have actually considered changing to something else.

Had DirecTV for about 10 years now. It used to be really bad when it stormed, but I don't remember having anything more than a few screen glitches in the last year during storms (and Missouri has some pretty nasty storms).

I don't have the HD channels though, so I can't help out there.

I prefer Dish to Directv... but thats only for minor interface issues. Directv works great and I've never had any signal problems. But that could be because I live in the land of milk and honey known as Southern California, where a cold day is 60 F.

Shaftiel

I prefer Dish to Directv... but thats only for minor interface issues. Directv works great and I've never had any signal problems. But that could be because I live in the land of milk and honey known as Southern California, where a cold day is 60 F.

Shaftiel

I am now committed to smuggling a snowball into the states just to throw at you at FF.

Had Dave for 8 years or so.

Had Comcast for cable many years ago. Hated it in comparison. Visiting friends with Comcast/Dish has not shown me anything to make me want to switch.

My experience with DTV has been generally good. The good old days of sweet talking CS into giving you all sorts of deals are over, but the support is still generally good. I recently got a new HD receiver for free as an upgrade... and have had 2 of the HD DVR's for a year and like them very much.

Oh... and as for outages... if you have ANY tech savvy at all... you can tweak your setup to get optimal performance. I added a power insertion switch to my front end and tweaked my alt/az to get excellent signal on the new D10 sat (103b). Very few outages... only in the biggest thunder storms. When SWM rolls out things should get even better.

With ANY service provider, I should point out... you'll only be as satisfied as the last tech you deal with. There are EXCELLENT field techs out there for all providers. If you get one, you'll likely be very satisfied. Get a bad one, and you'll be aching to switch. Just my 2cents.