Current UT3 - UT2K4 #s

Flitterkill

Well, you know...

I think what we need is a bit of time.

I think people will come back to play this game, b/c 04 was a great iteration of the franchise.

I know ppl play other games (I just got COD4 and like it) but for me, none of them seem like they could keep my attention for the same amount of time that UT04 has done.

I mean sniping people in COD is fun, but I didn't throw a beer can into the wall or scream a string of expletives at the top of my voice...I've never done that with ANY game 'sides UT.

In addition, I haven't found a game that just offers the over the top, flying around the map, last second kills, double jump-dodge, shock combo'y goodness of UT.

I suggest that we set aside a couple nights a week where ppl can play UT...if only for a couple hours or whatever. Drop the others games for a bit (TF2, Cod4, poker [really lex...ftw :biglaugha: ]) and play with their GC bros...no matter what server it is on.

Tues and Thurs...are my nights...prolly Sunday too.

Oh, and FK, I'd like to see those stats for a weeknight...just piqued my interest.

p.s. I think this is a testament to how lame the UT community feels about UT3...what COULDA BEEN vs. what SHOULDA....

Edited by Tek-Almighty

Well, you know...

I think what we need is a bit of time.

I think people will come back to play this game, b/c 04 was a great iteration of the franchise.

I know ppl play other games (I just got COD4 and like it) but for me, none of them seem like they could keep my attention for the same amount of time that UT04 has done.

I mean sniping people in COD is fun, but I didn't throw a beer can into the wall or scream a string of expletives at the top of my voice...I've never done that with ANY game 'sides UT.

In addition, I haven't found a game that just offers the over the top, flying around the map, last second kills, double jump-dodge, shock combo'y goodness of UT.

I suggest that we set aside a couple nights a week where ppl can play UT...if only for a couple hours or whatever. Drop the others games for a bit (TF2, Cod4, poker [really lex...ftw :biglaugha: ]) and play with their GC bros...no matter what server it is on.

Tues and Thurs...are my nights...prolly Sunday too.

Oh, and FK, I'd like to see those stats for a weeknight...just piqued my interest.

p.s. I think this is a testament to how lame the UT community feels about UT3...what COULDA BEEN vs. what SHOULDA....

OK this is now 3 nights in a row that there has been a good GC turn out on the GC server that you whined about not having. OK, Friday night was "date nite". Saturday night was try COD4 night even though you said you'd be around. Tonight, Sunday is on your preferred list. Let's see... Flitter played, Wentz played, Primus played, Dingy was in, even Ebits showed as "Monkey", I played... but no Tek.... :shrug03::shrug03:

GC Board Member

lols

Sunday Night numbers for 1030pm (game-monitors.com used - gametracker, which we use for the fancy banners, doesn't catch as many and serverspy is just not good at all listing 7 ONS server for all NA - think not...)

USA UT2K4 ONS: Just under 200 (then dropped at 11pm)

USA UT3 WARFARE: 114

Will do it again Monday evening.

-Fk

I didnt get home til 930, then decided to play Starcraft with my friend who lives in the same appt building as me. Needed some good ol' SC! :D

Oooh SC can I play, I haven't played in almost 10 years. Installing now...

No, no you may not. :P Of course! Ima noob though! Take it easy on me! lol

PS I'm playing broodwar right now, fyi

Edited by DarkArchon

Oooh SC can I play, I haven't played in almost 10 years. Installing now...

You know Bushwack, you really are a nerd at heart aren't you. :biglaugha:

I do have to admit though, the kids picked up Nintendo 64 and have like 20 games for it. Pretty fun actually.

GC Board Member

In the short time it has been up, yes, simply because other GC are playing it - hence getting others to join.

Also, I think we are seeing some more numbers simply because there are so few decent ONS servers left. If you actually look, there are a whole lot of demo servers jacked up on Torlan - those are full as usual, leaving Omnipotents and a few others for the full game players. A lot of the servers that used to be full all the time shut down with UT3 and haven't come back - so, in Homer Simpson terms, by default (the two sweetest words in the English language), we have "more" players available to us then we did prior to UT3. Poorly stated but I think you get it.

The server space available right now for UT3 is pretty large compared to who is actually playing (simply put, too many servers, too few players) - even the ZeroFrag comp UT3 folks are getting antsy now...

So short term, I think we can let this ride for now and see what the next UT3 patch brings (I wonder if there will be a push with the XBOX360 release???)

I *loved* UT3 with the UberBoards and the DestroyableDeployables but that set us non-pure (un-pure?) as a server and numbers were zilch. Hard for me to play UT3 without those now :(

The way Epic has handled the pure/std vs. modded server browse is a lesson in bad usability (for both 2K4 and Ut3). Instead of a checkbox that completely separates the two forms they could just add in another column to the server list

indicating pure or otherwise thereby keeping all the servers on a single sortable list - but that would be asking too much I guess.

We wait for the patch and see what shakes out - hard to push for GC UT3 server now with most of the UT2K4 players actively stating they are out (and/or selling their copy). I might try to pug on Sunday evenings with the ZeroFrag group - feel free to join me!

-Fk

OK this is now 3 nights in a row that there has been a good GC turn out on the GC server that you whined about not having. OK, Friday night was "date nite". Saturday night was try COD4 night even though you said you'd be around. Tonight, Sunday is on your preferred list. Let's see... Flitter played, Wentz played, Primus played, Dingy was in, even Ebits showed as "Monkey", I played... but no Tek.... :shrug03::shrug03:

You know, I wouldn't call it whining so much as concern, but since you seem to have the ever so holy, pointy the finger at me syndrome going on:

a) I work a job that requires me to do approximately 50% of my work at home, off the clock, after/before hours (That would be the 45-50 hours I spend AT work.)...and no, unless you're a public school teacher in spec. ed and low income, you won't really get the import of that.

B) I have a relatively new wife and we're trying for kids.

c) I POSTED that Tues and Thurs were good for me....I played 1 hour on Tues.

d) I have bronchitis.

e) My grandmother died 4 days ago, and I've been a bit busy with that, plus out of town of and on.

So...I'm sorry I showed concern with the disappearing UT community, but I try to play a couple nights a week, which I actually did between my initial posts and today (just got home).

I was upset (rightly so) because, besides MP, it seemed that no one was really trying to rally the troops...so that we LOST our entire GC UT server.

My bad, Cannon.

Take care bro.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

I was upset (rightly so) because, besides MP, it seemed that no one was really trying to rally the troops...so that we LOST our entire GC UT server.

*cough*

Ever since the summer I did too... in fact, I tried and when it didn't go through I went to play with v3x for a while because I really wanted to play.

*cough*

****EDIT: I have no hard feelings guys. I wanted to see it go, but it didn't. Such is life... sounds like my love life :):freak3:

Edited by DarkArchon