Microsoft Natural 4000

Playaa

Anyone else used this keyboard?

I've always been a big fan of ergonomic keyboards...I type much faster (and more importantly, much more comfortably) with them.

For the longest time I had the Microsoft Wireless Natural keyboard. Then I spilled my drink on it last week (after about 2 years) and half the keys don't work anymore.

I went out and bought this one because a former coworker told me it was amazing.

I gotta say, so far it is WELL work it. Quite literally I only have two little complaints.

1) It's not wireless. If there is a wireless version, I couldn't find it.

2) The spacebar is more "clicky" than the rest of the keys. It only seems like it when I push it with my right thumb though, but sadly my hands are so trained to use my right thumb on the spacebar that it literally took me 3 times as long to type this sentence as it should have.

It's benefits so far outweigh every single negative I can think of. The keys aren't too silent, not too loud either (except the spacebar). The wrist pad built into it is amazingly comfortable. The "Gull Wing" form factor feels so incredibly natural after using it for a day.

My favorite part so far though is the weird "7 degree palm lift" thing that comes with it. It's a removable lifter that pushes the front of the keyboard up off the desk so that the keyboard as a whole is leaning away from your body. At first I took it off because it looked and felt weird, but I figured I'd give it a try. Even then I didn't like it right away until I conciously thought about the position of my wrists and how much more natural it is. Let me tell you, after just one day of using this thing, I don't know that I can ever use another keyboard. The 7 degree angle away still feels a teensy bit strange, but the comfort that my wrists are in is utterly amazing. They are just resting at a perfect height off the desktop...about a quarter of an inch higher than my elbows and they are well supported by the foam pads on the front of the keyboard.

Long story short...give this thing a try if you're in the market for a new ergonomic keyboard (obviously if you don't like ergo's you won't like this one either). Even if you can't stand the palm lift thing, you can easily take it off and you still have the best ergonomic keyboard I've ever used.

i've got that same keyboard, but i never 1) knew what the hell that lift kit was for or 2) the model number. my only complaint is the entire width - my mouse pad sits in a different zip code now, and it kills my angle of attack. no, seriously.

i love the rest of it (*gasp* HE admitted liking a MS product??!?!).

now i just need a new mouse.

i've got that same keyboard, but i never 1) knew what the hell that lift kit was for or 2) the model number. my only complaint is the entire width - my mouse pad sits in a different zip code now, and it kills my angle of attack. no, seriously.

i love the rest of it (*gasp* HE admitted liking a MS product??!?!).

now i just need a new mouse.

Logitech MX Revolution.

I have it right next to this keyboard and it's the best mouse I've ever used. Not sure if that's true for gaming, but for everyday use it definitely is.

I've been thinking about replacing my old natural multimedia with something new, considering I've had it for oh 6 or 7 years...

I've been debating getting one of the new ones Microsoft has. Have you used it for CSS or any other FPS? One of the reasons I've held off making my decision is I don't wanna get something that will be problematic (such as some wireless models).

I'm glad he said that he disconnected his usb keyboard first, before putting it in the dishwasher. I was just gonna put mine in without disconnecting :D

"Hey! The dishwasher seems to be writing something!"

C:\tobeornottobethatisthequestionwhethertisno....

"SHUT IT DOWN BEFORE JUDGMENT DAY!"

lol

I'm glad he said that he disconnected his usb keyboard first, before putting it in the dishwasher. I was just gonna put mine in without disconnecting :D

"Hey! The dishwasher seems to be writing something!"

C:\tobeornottobethatisthequestionwhethertisno....

"SHUT IT DOWN BEFORE JUDGMENT DAY!"

lol

LOL!

Was in Best Buy yesterday (Sunday the 24th) and noticed they had this keyboard on Sale for $39.99. This was cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else, including Newegg.com right now.

I bought 2 of these, (one for parents PC), and so far definitely liking it. The stand is a little wierd looking but really not hard at all to get used to. It really does make it more comfortable since it keeps your wrists straight instead of bent up. Also helps if your desk has a lip or raised edge on it like mine.

So far definitely recommending it. One note, you do have to install the SW before hooking it up, at least accodring to the instructions. I didn't try it without. Based on past experience some of the extra buttons probably won't work if you don't.