American Eagle Misleading Promotion

EbilDustBunny

[rant]

post-1538-1206738781.jpg

So I have an American Eagle account and I get a the occasional newsletter about sales and their neat promotions that they have going on. And this was the one I got today. I was like wow a dollar per view and sharing? So I go on to the website because Fall Out Boy and Gym Class Heroes = Awesome. As I'm listening to the music videos I was browsing the rest of the contents of this page... I see a little box that says "AE's Better World: Pay Per U". Clicking the tiny tab that says "details" it pulls up this... (btw After googling "AE Better World" I found out it's a foundation that support three of the main charities Jumpstart, Big Brothers Big Sisters and The Student Conservation Association. )

post-1538-1206738787.jpg

For company that makes a Revenue of 2,794.4 million and Net Income of $387.4 million in 2007 and have 900 stores all over the US of A... I'm sure they already hit their max donation already. I guess it's better then nothing and more than some big clothing companies will ever give, but they way that they advertised it was a little dirty in my opinion. I mean I would be the type of person that will send a link to my friend and in a way "rick roll" to watch a music video or two. :D (for the greater good or to amuse myself :)) Or even post it (... like I am now and yes I'm a hypocrite of some sorts) say how awesome it is and go visit the website and such.

I'm sure other people that receive these newsletters would initially feel the same way I did when I first saw the letter and go out and spam their friends about helping charities for kids and students by watching some music videos and sharing the videos (which is a little naive of me to think it'd be that simple :(). And for those people that aren't keen to details... I feel sorry for, because the moment opened that newsletter their maximum was probably reached. And the free advertisement they are providing American Eagle Outfitters may all be for nothing.

I'm a sad bunny from seeing this... it annoys me.

[/rant]

Just find a regular Rick roll instead of a diabolical one.

I would've been skeptical right off the bat when I read they were going to donate "a $1" to something. Maybe someone just accidentally slipped a little Mario into their dictation though.

They probably consider part of their "donation" setting up the website and getting the content to attract people to participate. I'd think getting all those videos, salaries for everyone involved etc. would add up to quite a tax write off. $25000 is probably as much as they could make the cap because they're already writing off a few million behind the scenes. :shrug03:

Stingy...but hey, that's capita... :ignore:

>.> They ARE awesome! >.>

[citation needed]

ya srsly