computer keeps crashing

Brew

it started happing when i built my new computer. the game freezes and the fans start ramping up to high speed. then, either the comp restarts or i have to restart it myself.

the only old parts i used were my vid card and HD... cs is not installed on my old HD so that can't be it.

i dont think it's over heating because i checked my cpu temp and that was normal. the vid card's fan is running and it doesn't feel too hot... plus, the comp can crash when i just start to play the game...

im goin to check if i have all the updated drivers for my vid card but is there any other suggestions out there for me?

thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well WITH the updated vid drivers the game just crashed on me so thats not it... crap...

ATI Radeon X700 PRO

2.66 ghz core 2 duo 4mb l2 cache

2 GB RAM DDR2

6 channel 16 bit pci sound card

430 WATT PS

intel media series DP35DP motherboard

XP Home edition

i forgot about the sound card. that was part of my old comp that i installed on the new one...

well im gonna go to intel now make sure i got all the drivers for the cpu and mobo

well WITH the updated vid drivers the game just crashed on me so thats not it... crap...

ATI Radeon X700 PRO

2.66 ghz core 2 duo 4mb l2 cache

2 GB RAM DDR2

6 channel 16 bit pci sound card

430 WATT PS

intel media series DP35DP motherboard

XP Home edition

i forgot about the sound card. that was part of my old comp that i installed on the new one...

well im gonna go to intel now make sure i got all the drivers for the cpu and mobo

Maybe a coincidence, but my son's computer has the x700 also and does the same thing once in a while.

if it's consistent (like exactly the same every time) then it's likely a software/driver issue. if it's more random then it's likely a hardware issue. one thing to try is to take it all apart and then put it all back together again. you could have a short somewhere or maybe a cable isn't full plugged in.

Make sure your onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS.

Make sure you clean off the old ATI drivers before ever putting new ones on.

Make sure your HD has enough room to fit your paging file (and that your paging file is at least 150% of your RAM, and preferably you have your paging file on a separate HD than the one with your OS and no paging file on the HD with your OS)

Make sure your HD has enough room to fit your paging file (and that your paging file is at least 150% of your RAM, and preferably you have your paging file on a separate HD than the one with your OS and no paging file on the HD with your OS)

i keep my pagefile on the os hdd and install and run my games off the other one.

you lost me there :unsure:... what is a paging file *gulp

Make sure you clean off the old ATI drivers before ever putting new ones on.

whats a good driver sweeper?

i keep my pagefile on the os hdd and install and run my games off the other one.

I was under the impression that Windows uses the pagefile more than any other application, especially when you have enough physical memory to handle whatever application you're using (let's say, CS for example).

I just recently realized my page file was on both my HDDs, so I removed it completely from my C:\ (OS HD) and my PC is running much, for the lack of a better word, more smoothly. This might be because I have a IDE as my C: running at 100Gb/s and a SATA as my alternate running at 150Gb/s.

Also, I think my C: pagefile was causing memory hungry applications to crash (Hellgate London and Cubase were both pretty unstable before I did this) as they work fine now that my C has no pagefile.

It's only recently that I've been poking around various Windows optimization guides and one of them recommended removing the pagefile from your Windows partition...

Brew:

Control Panel>System>Advanced Tab>Performance Settings>Advanced Tab>Virtual Memory Change button

There you can set which HDs have a page file and how big it is. The page file is basically your OS using a harddrive as low priority RAM.

I recommend using Guru3D's Drive Sweeper as you don't have to install this version.

it's weird that your pagefile would have been divided by windows by default. yes, i've heard taking it off the windows drive helps. the reason i haven't done this is because i run my css off my other drive so i figure loading to pagefile would be fastest this way. i may try switching it and see if i notice a difference.

it's weird that your pagefile would have been divided by windows by default. yes, i've heard taking it off the windows drive helps. the reason i haven't done this is because i run my css off my other drive so i figure loading to pagefile would be fastest this way. i may try switching it and see if i notice a difference.

Oh no...no default...just me forgetting stuff I had done long ago.

I'll go for months not touching anything in Windows and then go ape messing with settings one day...then forget I did it. Alcohol and computers mix.

I was under the impression that Windows uses the pagefile more than any other application, especially when you have enough physical memory to handle whatever application you're using (let's say, CS for example).

I just recently realized my page file was on both my HDDs, so I removed it completely from my C:\ (OS HD) and my PC is running much, for the lack of a better word, more smoothly. This might be because I have a IDE as my C: running at 100Gb/s and a SATA as my alternate running at 150Gb/s.

Also, I think my C: pagefile was causing memory hungry applications to crash (Hellgate London and Cubase were both pretty unstable before I did this) as they work fine now that my C has no pagefile.

It's only recently that I've been poking around various Windows optimization guides and one of them recommended removing the pagefile from your Windows partition...

Brew:

Control Panel>System>Advanced Tab>Performance Settings>Advanced Tab>Virtual Memory Change button

There you can set which HDs have a page file and how big it is. The page file is basically your OS using a harddrive as low priority RAM.

I recommend using Guru3D's Drive Sweeper as you don't have to install this version.

ok, my paging file is on the HD that my OS is on so ill switch the paging file to the other HD...

im gonna clear and reinstall my video drivers

i gotta make sure my sound is turned off in the bios also...

thanks guys, ill report back to you soon.

• 3 weeks later...

i took the cover off my case and set a fan to blow right into it. it hasnt froze yet... i have a feeling it might be my video card overheating

i remembered the video card fan ramping up when i started playing video games. this stopped after i installed it in my new comp. either the fan speed is shot or it's not sensing the need for more cooling... or somthing

anyways can anyone recommend a good heat sink or something that will fit my radeon X700 PRO (PCI slot)?

(edited)

update:

well im back to square one... even with the house fan on the pc it's still crashing... i started to troubleshoot the PS. i disabled both of my cd/DVD drives and it still crashed... im feelin the temptation to buy a new PS even tho this one is practically new...

Edited by Brew