Handgun advice

Laz.e.rus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

For home defense I would agree with Lunk on a nice 12 gauge or even a 20 gauge. There was a pole take on convicted felons back in the 80's that stated the scariest thing that could happen during the commission of a crime would be to hear that loud double click of a pump shotgun. This same idea covers Sgt. Slaughter's point as well, because the pellets from a shotgun will tear a man in half at close range but won't exit the house through a wall. No matter what you buy, everyone in the house should understand and fully learn how to operate the firearm. If you aren't completely comfortable with firearms (years of using them) then I suggest you and the wife take a course on operating it. People shot by accident are usually done so by someone who is clueless about it. If you have young ones about you also need to make sure to keep it locked up.

Edited by Preacher

no the last thing you want after defending your family on the worst night of your life is the guilt of killinga 2 year old next door sleeping in his crib because the bullet went throughan interior wall and exterior wall and into the house next door.

Go hug a tree mac boy ;)

From what I read earlier regarding the purpose of the hand gun being hiking in the mountains and dealing with cougars, bears ect.. I would recommend getting a 44 or 357 mag revolver. I'm currently a ccw carrier and carry a p220, but that wouldn't even phase a bear, not enough foot pounds. 44 mag would be the best way to go.

I've spent hundreds of days in the back country...including a 33 day stretch covering 200 miles in the North Cascades of WA state.

My last two trips, I've packed a Glock 21 .45 cal. I've used 2 rounds that absolutely are dead accurate and reliable (never shot anything living with these, mind you) CorBon 185 grain and the 230 grain Hydrashok. Both are dead aim and, given placement and number of rounds, should stop a bear...

Bush is right tho', check the muzzle energy...that, along with the bullet spread, would be key to stopping bear.

But, I've had CLOSE contact with 4 bears in my 20 years in the wild, and not one time, did I reach for a piece.

real men use bats.

panzy.

K. We'll trade shots. 15 feet apart...you go first :)

But seriously, where I live, you DONT go up in the hills without one. I got verbally smacked around for that early on out here...

between rattlers, cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, or a "tinkled" off moose....you get the idea.

The gun laws here are ...eh... pretty lax to say the least. At least the enforcement of them. Basically dont bring em into bars, court, or a school. Thats about it from what Ive been able to glean.

Bear, moose... Not gonna be able stop them with your average handgun.

Better yet, stay home. :P

I have a S&W 9mm. I got it off one of my friends for $200, he bought it new and put a couple hundred rounds through it. I only shoot it when Im back at my parents on the farm, but I do live in a townhouse by myself in the largest city in Virginia, so I keep it right beside my bed.

no the last thing you want after defending your family on the worst night of your life is the guilt of killinga 2 year old next door sleeping in his crib because the bullet went throughan interior wall and exterior wall and into the house next door.

Go hug a tree mac boy ;)

you need to move. :)

Ive had experience with several various shotties, muzzleloaders, revolvers, and .22's.

Im not experienced with large caliber rifles ( only a few shots...they arent popular in lower michigan as you cant hunt with them there), or semi handguns.

I sold my shottys before leaving Mich, I'll be getting another 12ga pump for myself and most likely a 20ga auto for my wife when we get there. She has experience with shottys ( a little), high power rifles ( more than me...she's a Montana girl), and various handguns.

My Dad hunts with a S&W 44mag with a 10 5/8" ported barrel. It does exactly what he bought it for and he likes it, but he said if he was going to do it over again, he'd go .357 with a shorter barrel. The 44 is too heavy, too unweildy, and expensive to shoot. But he's amazed at the accuracy of the .44.

I've seen prices from $99 to $1400 for handguns. Thats where the $300 came from. Ive been running under the assumption that I'll find "something" decent in that range, but I didnt want to go completely uninformed.

For example, I was considering the FEG until I did a little homework and discovered: 1- Its overpriced, 2- Its famous for trigger and slide spring issues 3- It doesnt like HP's, and 4-I had no idea how little powder is behind one of those 9x18 mak rounds until I pulled one out of a box and looked at it. They're just.....funny lookin! ( And harded to find, and more expensive for the same reason) The only thing I found that was said thats good about it is that its size is ok for CCW...but then again, large handed people like myself will get slide-cut for that same reason.

Its entirely probable that I WILL get a .357 or a .44 revolver at a later date. But for now, I'd like a "decent" semiauto. I was kinda shying away from the 9mm's but thats been recommended to me a lot around here for my first semi due mostly to the price of the rounds.

For an all around round, I recommend the .40 like the other posts here. It's a nice compromise between the 9mm and the .45. I've owned a S&W 4006 model, since when the .40 came around and always thought it was a great caliber.

Just my 2 cents.

If you have a large hand avoid the glock or carry some bactine and bandaids lol. I highly recommend the Ruger P series. The P89 is ideal for a 9mm since you can get preban high cap mags that hold 18+1 rounds. That way if you run into a firefight with rampaging mac fans you don't have to reload as often ;). I had one and like I stated before the gun was very dependable, it was my daily carry weapon for 2 years.

If you have a large hand avoid the glock or carry some bactine and bandaids lol. I highly recommend the Ruger P series. The P89 is ideal for a 9mm since you can get preban high cap mags that hold 18+1 rounds. That way if you run into a firefight with rampaging mac fans you don't have to reload as often ;). I had one and like I stated before the gun was very dependable, it was my daily carry weapon for 2 years.

100% agree, P series ruger would be a good place to start.

ok. The Rugers have been recommened to me twice locally too. Sounds like thats some pretty solid advice.

Also, whats the story on the mag caps?

It is illegal to own one? Is it just illegal to mfg more? If you buy a used one, or already owned one, is it unlawful to continue to own it?

I noticed one I was looking at the other day had a 12 round mag, and while discussing it locally is the first time I even heard of this ban.

(edited)

10 rounds is the max capacity that can be manufactured or imported in the US due to the Assault Weapon Ban. You can still buy, sell, trade and use what was manufactured prior to the ban. When I sold my Ruger p89 in 98 there were several places you could buy high capacity mags for it. I think I had 3 USA Mags.

Edited by Preacher

More likely to die of an accidental gunshot than die from someone invading your house. Protect all ya want.

Who's he talkin to?

I want advice on a handgun to make a good purchase. Im not very concerned about home invasion or my ability to "protect" it with what we already have or will have for hunting later anyway.

10 rounds is the max capacity that can be manufactured or imported in the US due to the Assault Weapon Ban. You can still buy, sell, trade and use what was manufactured prior to the ban. When I sold my Ruger p89 in 98 there were several places you could buy high capacity mags for it. I think I had 3 USA Mags.

Negative Preach, you can buy high cap magazines new. The ban ended 2.5 years ago so there is no such thing as preban postban mags.

Actually the ban on LCAFDs (long acronym for high cap mags) expired a few years back. I went to a gun show show a month ago and saw new glock mags for my model 21 for around $25...which is a third the price they were during the "Clinton Gun Era Ban" that began in 1994.

And as to the big hands argument. I have pretty large hands, and while the fit is pretty snug on the mid-sized glocks, the fit is perfect for me on the full size glocks, like the .45 model 21.

I've been out of the loop for a long time here. My only automatic pistol is a Belgium made Browning 32 auto (same model that started WW1 btw). The last gun I purchased was a Taurus .357 Mag and I ended up hating it and sold it. My home defense weapon is the 12 gauge :D and I don't hunt much anymore (not at all in the last 3 years) and I haven't shot competitively since before I went to Bible College (1999) so like I said I'm out of the loop :)

(edited)

I know you said you had a price cap. Glock is the only way to go. The wieght is perfect for any user. They have a .40 I recomend the .45 though. I have always been a 1911 type guy however this gun is amazing.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

They all come with a lockable case. They can be dropped and will not fire. They are virtually rust proof. The reinforced metal bound to plastic has been tested to withstand being dropped from an airplane and still being usable. I have done research online and this pistol is on every top 10 list for all weapons I have read. Its a little expensive though because the high demand for them. They also have dif sizes for smaller hands if you look on the website Preacher you nancy I can't see any reason 4 a 9 mil other than a target gun. That baretta I had overseas was a piece of crap.

The g22 .40 holds 15 rounds.

The g21 .45 Auto holds 13 rounds

If I couldnt afford one the only other route I would even spend my money on is good old S&W made in America proven for years.

Edited by Tyranus

(edited)

If you buy a 9mil just go buy a pelet gun they are cheaper. Unless your soul purpose is for target practice your waisting your money. I thought you wanted both for shooting and to have at home. If so nothing less than a .38 however I recomend at least .40.

Edited by Tyranus

its about shot placement not the caliber. The correct ammunition in a 9mm will stop any bad guy coming for you.

For what it is worth, when I took my CCW class the instructor recommended a 45acp for the reason that you don't have time for shot placement when a bad guy is coming at you. In fact we had to fire with out aiming at different ranges at a fast firing rate, which I still do today when I'm at the range.

Those are the very reasons I didnt want a 9mm. I really liked the SigSauers. p220 and 226. One was a .40 the other a .45.

But they were a little out of my price range.

I think the reason that it was recommended to me around here is cuz they know it would be my first. So I can dump a gillion cheap rounds thru a somewhat cheaper gun, then once I gain some comfortability I could sell it off and spend some money on a good one. That isnt really bad advice , but not what I want to do either.

If I practice and learn and become comfortable with something, I don't wanna sell it for something different afterwards.

Any advice on guns I should avoid like the plague? For example, I almost bought that FEG and that wouldve been a bad move. Glad I researched its history and reviews first.