.iso burning

mrX

Ok, I got Easy CD creator 5. It will burn the .iso images to disks, but with a success rate of about 2/3 or less. Updated to the newest version of the software, seems to burn faster, but not sure yet if it's better.

I know there's Nero, and some other programs. Any better than what I got here? I tested Nero a year or so ago, and was unimpressed.

Drives me crazy trying to burn these Mandrake iso's and get a working disk. :(

cd coaster creator isnt named that for anything else.

nero, cdrwin, or winiso

in that order

(and it depends on your iso rip and if the ripper provides md5sums or some other chksum)

Drives me crazy trying to burn these Mandrake iso's and get a working disk.

ah ha! in your case...

always...always...wait...ALWAYS CHECK MD5SUMS.

heh

i loaded 9.1 up last night ~3am

mrX
GC Alumni

Have repartitioned and loaded 9.1 up about 8-10 times, have 4 copies of the .iso's burnt to CD, with various programs (most success came burning under 9.0 with X-CD-Roast). Burning it under 9.0 with that made it install a lot faster, 25-30 mins compared to 1+ hours with the other burns.

However, no matter which CD set I use, it will not boot into Gnome or KDE. (well, once it did, but few programs were there and it was very unstable) Only thing that will come up is Ice, which is ok to get the servers started and all, but often programs are crashing, it's just not stable. Every program I've tried under it has crashed at one point or another, except for the terminals.

Going back to 9.0 atm, then maybe upgrade from that instead of a clean install. Not sure why it's not loading right.

Will verify that I did what you said, or just make another copy. Thanks yer and everyone else for the advice.

Ok.

I gotta run to a meeting.

So...here's what u do:

Download your .iso's from your fav mdk server (i use secsup at 150k/sec)

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra...e/Mandrake/iso/

including that little md5sum.asc thats in there (f the readme)

run the program below (shhh dont tell Dest) on all the .iso files.

http://www.etree.org/md5com.html

the numbers calcualted better match whats in the md5sum.asc file else u got a bogus download (usually during download, not the image stored on the FTP server).

MDK 9.1 Final - MD5 checksum:

6f1581974e12420fef87868ed6caa31f Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso

87afe11ddef6b619866322aa0797e45f Mandrake91-cd2-ext.i586.iso

ff187c7a552722f42790b5726fdb62b3 Mandrake91-cd3-i18n.i586.iso

If they all match, burn yourself the images to cdrom and everything will be fine unless you have crap media that your cd drive doesn like in your linux box.

now if these dumbdonkeys would just zip up these iso's, youd know immediately if you had a 'corrupted' copy...cause it wouldnt unzip and give u a crc error....which is what md5sum is...anyway i could go in circles for hours. do the above on your current .isos and lemme know if they match. if they dont, get yerself another download going of the iso thats bad.

a beer says...its not u, your cdrw, or your OS. its your images.

lol i installed 9.1 about 10 times as well and it couldnt boot into any gui cuz my video card, i finally got it to boot after i did a bunch of stuff, but now I never even use it.

wow...kinda same prollem here with mrX, hes on a tnt2 32mb

im using a matrox millenium...no prollems at all.

txt2 s/b a-ok tho.

were trying the media...but if u had same problem, and your md5sums matched ( i know u didnt check yours nofx)...then hmmmm

mrX
GC Alumni

Well, trying different medias and combinations of drives, got 4 or 5 around here, so one should work, I'm hoping. :unsure:

Anyways, another strange thing happened last night. It actually installed, seemed correct and all. Would load into KDE. The login screen however did not allow you to type in a login name, only gave a user list (w/o root) and a password box. But I could login and was somewhat happy. Rebooted twice and it gave that same login, but it worked to get into KDE.

Then, 3rd login, it allows for the entry of a user and password. So I go with root and ended up back to where I started, stalled on initializing services, and the HD just running constantly. Reboot, try a different user, same thing. Reboot a few more times and never get the original login screen.

So today finds me burning some more potential coasters with different programs and drives. o0o Also trying a upgrade from 9.0 instead of a clean install. Seems to me that the 2nd install disk is the problem on most of the burns, it makes the drive make unusual noises during installation. I've re-dl'ed the iso for that one from a different ftp and same thing.

mrX
GC Alumni

Doesn't seem to work right. Tried different burners and media to no avail. Maybe another day I'll get back to this. For now, 9.0 works fine.

I've got about 5 or so copies of it burnt to CD. If anyone would like a copy, just PM me an address and I'll drop it in the mail.