FFXIII

anonymo

Yeah, now all the XBots will be changing their opinions and stop saying the game sucks (Like DMC). I bet they can't wait to play it. :)

What's really ticking me off is Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia as XBox exclusives - they were obviously paid off big time. These are both games with HUGE Japanese fan bases and Xbox continues to do poorly in Japan, so I see this as the height of selling out. They'd rather make dirty money than make games their fans paid for and allowed them to continue making games. Just another reason why I'm about ready to boycott all Square-Enix games. (Though Tales is Namco, making this their first)

Multi-platform is always a good thing, though.

You do realize this is an age old Sony tactic? Paying more money than the competition for exclusives? GTAIII(albeit timed), FFXII, Chrono Cross, MGS2/3/4...need I continue?

Also

[utube]k-uTnqYHZ-I[/utube]

I agree with all of those, except Hideo has stated many times that he favours the PS consoles, and MGS4 truly is a huge game and would take multiple discs to be put on the 360. The real thing I was saying, though, was that I feel MOST Xbox owners have zero appreciation for JRPGs. Even the mention of that word around my brother spouts the same response EVERY time: "lame". I know a few people on these forums that turned their nose up at me for being interested in anime and Japan, in general. Everybody over here knows that Japan doesn't like the XBox, let alone Japan themselves - and here's two Japanese companies willing to release a game solely to a crowd that won't even appreciate its value as much as the fans that put them there. There's a saying in Japan: "Neko ni koban" - gold coins for a cat. Even the best gift is useless if they don't know how to use it.

(edited)

Uh, guys, FFXIII is a multi-platform release, and the xbox versions will only be available in the US and Europe. Japan will only get the PS3 version (and thats probably the only version that would sell over there anyways). Enough with the sell-out talk already.

FFXIII is NOT an exclusive, that's the big news here. To be honest, I don't get why some people get upset when there are games that used to be exclusives that are now multiplatform. I personally could care less if a great game is available for other systems - it's still a great game after all. The only way I would care is if they got lazy and did a poor port or something for my system of choice. That would suck.

*I haven't played it yet, but a sneaking suspicion tells me that utoob video is NSFW...

Edited by boilersax

(edited)

The sell out talk is not about FFXIII. Please re-read my post. -_-

Because to me, I wouldn't even classify FF as JRPG - its too epic and too many people enjoy it. I'm talking more about what are "anime games".

Edited by Saris

Yeah Saris I agree unfortunately, too many people give the average 360 owner a bad name. There are many of us who yearn for good Japanese-made games that aren't held hostage by Sony and trust me there's a lot of appreciation despite the high numbers of xjock360 owners. That being said, there are probably equal numbers on the Sony side who are too close to that guy in the video who don't think video games that aren't strictly Japanese are worth anyone's time.

(edited)
The sell out talk is not about FFXIII. Please re-read my post. -_-

Because to me, I wouldn't even classify FF as JRPG - its too epic and too many people enjoy it. I'm talking more about what are "anime games".

meh, I wasn't thinking too clearly on that, my bad. Somehow I doubt Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia will be xbox exclusives forever - if they're as big over there as you say they are (never heard of either of them)

on a side note to mo's post - I can't stand the "fanbois" of either console. get over yourselves already. no one cares if you think your console is better than the others. If money was no object, I would already have a PS3 to go with my 360 and Wii, and would be enjoying MGS4 right now. I shed a single tear when it was released and I knew I couldn't play it :(

Edited by boilersax

Yeah, I'd have a 360 if I was rich, too. I still haven't played Halo 3 or Gears of War (Oh, wait, it's on PC and I still didn't get it! [j/k :P]). What I'm sick of is this exclusivity garbage - and Square Enix is the king of it. It's fine for a series to be exclusive, like Halo, or MGS, but to take a game mid-series like FFTactics or Kingdom Hearts and release sequels, prequels, etc. on different consoles is ridiculous IMO. My jaw hit the floor when they put so much time and effort into making FFXII so epic, then made its (for the most part) crappy sequel on a rival, handheld console. Everything released on PS3 should be on 360 and vice versa, they're pretty much the same console.

Everything released on PS3 should be on 360 and vice versa, they're pretty much the same console.

Word.

I'll bet the biggest reason MGS4 couldn't fit on an xbox dvd in its current form is due to all of the huuuuuuuge cut scenes it probably has. Compress those and it might just work :P

Actually, there was a lot of garbage on there. When you start a new game, for about two minutes, you watch a live action video that appears completely random, but then I found out if you push buttons you can change the channel like you're watching TV. It has all the ads on gametrailers.com for the four PMCs featured in the game, some game show, a David Hayter interview and others (I didn't watch them all, they're boring) and they add absolutely nothing to the game.

The areas are huge and constantly changing, there are a ton of sound effects and the cutscenes are immense. But even though it really did take up the full 50GB, it could easily be compressed to less without changing the quality much.

Yeah and it's not like there have never been multidisc games before.

Additionally, the BR drive in the PS3 is 8x read. 8x. If you released MGS4 on 360 it would load faster solely due to the fact it's reading the disc at 52x even with you swapping discs out. Then you get into the actual game data that's on the disc, 12 languages worth of uncompressed audio on each disc takes up a bit of room (generally >1/2 the total space from the torrents i've seen).

(edited)

If they made an announcement that they were trimming some unnecessary fat, compressing some audio, then porting MGS4 over to the 360 (even if it's gotta be on 2 discs - remember MGS for PSOne on 2 discs?) then I would be online 2 minutes later pre-ordering my copy.

Make it happen, people.

*also, I believe someone said you will soon be able to load games on your HD prior to playing if needed, maybe that could help the situation as well.

Edited by boilersax

Metal Gear Solid 4 was released on a Blu-ray, which the PS3 reads at 2x. Seems like even if they released it on DVD it would still read faster if it was on the 360 or the PS3 since the PS3 reads DVDs at 8x and the 360 does it at 12x. The PS3 Blu-Ray drive is so slow you have to go through like five installs while playing Metal Gear Solid 4. I would prefer swapping disks compared to waiting for installs.

Actually, every time you switch to a different act, you have to sit through 3 minutes of installation again. When you load up the game, if you continue the same act you were playing, you don't need to install. It was a pain, but oh well. Good to take a break every now and then anyway. Or in my case, grab something to eat.

The only time I compared load speeds was with GTA4, and 10% slower sounds about right (for PS3). DMC4 was way faster, but that's only because you can install it on your PS3.

I have bad news for you guys, FF XIII is coming out for the PC aswell, so long 360 and PS3. :D

Why on earth would you want to play it on PC except for not owning a console?

He was probably one of the ones who played Gears on PC too :wiggle2:

My 360 is plugged into my monitor which has a max res of 1920x1200. The 360 stretches 720P to 1080P and it looks pretty bad. Having the full 1920x1200 or at least 1920x1080 in FF XIII would look much better. Can throw some AF and AA on there while I am at it.

I play games on my 360 if they are console exclusive, like Grand Theft Auto 4 and Forza 2.