A fair warning

wayfarer

This is mostly for the Canadians that surf these forums as I don't think Rogers operates in the U.S (I could be wrong tho)

After 3 years of internet service from rogers I decided to return to sympatico (Bell) by buying a wireless

card and hooking up with my sister. This would give me a savings of roughly $50.00 per month. As part of the deal

with rogers when I signed up I was offered a "free" email address that would be powered by yahoo.ca the domain

however would be rogers.com No less than 2 hours after terminating my internet connection my access to my email

was severed. Funny how a "free" email address was suddenly cut off when I stopped paying. After several hours of

heated debate, in which I did little to hide my impressions of rogers or their policies, the only outcome I got was that I purchase

another months' internet to reaquire my email address, or find someone willing to transfer that email address to their account

so I can access it. I don't know anyone else that uses Rogers, and I can see why now. Seeing as Rogers will not get another

dime out me come hell or high water, neither of these options are applicable. After speaking to one superior and told this

can not be done, I was given the name of another superior who is not present but will return my call regarding this situation

later this week.

Email addresses are free from a number of different domains, when I switched from hotmail to rogers email, I did so

strictly because my hotmail account was getting too much spam. Had I known this was the stance rogers was going to

take with their offer of "free" email service, I would have gone someplace else. So now you have fair warning, if you

have a rogers.com email, you should ensure that it is not your primary email source if any at all.

What ISP will keep giving you e·mail service after you cancel?

Totally understand this position.

So trust me, I will never have both in the same location again. period.

Most ISP's account managment software that runs your email addresses are tied in with your modem. If your modem gets deactivated in any way, your email addresses follow.

Wayfarer, you are not alone with this. I deal with 2-3 customers weekly that get escalated to me trying to get past this exact issue.

I just have my own domain. I could set up my e-mail server for it but right now a buddy of mine who works at www.mailtrust.com set it up (and some space) there. I know many of the upper level management there so it's pretty secure there but even if it had to be moved, I know they'd give me time to transfer stuff.