Squinty needs a new HD

Squinty

So I dunno if anybody pays attention, but I often complain about my HD freezing in game (cs:s), and I have a little extra money, so i was wondering which I should get. I'm only looking for a 250g, but I don't know which brand I should go with. I always went with Seagate until recently, because it completely died on me, so i sent it back in, and so did the next one. and the 2 I have now (a 250 and 300) are IDE and my 250 is starting to fail. So if anybody has a decent sized HD that they haven't had problems with lemme know what kind it is so I can check it out :)

Squinty >.<

Well Maxtor and Western Digital have always been good to me. I have had really bad luck with hitachi deathstars and have never had much luck with seagate either. 250GB WD but for $20 more I'ld go with the 500GB WD (same one I use x2 or if money is really tight you can get a WD 320 refurbished for cheaper here or a 500gb Refurbished one for $61.99

Hope that helps :)

Short answer: no

Long Answer: I have 2 500gb drives and they are just fine. On older systems like windows 98 you had to install updates for the drive to be seen correctly but if you are using a system made with a p4 or amd 64 or newer this shouldn't come up.

also, you can partition the 500gb so that only say 100gb is boot and the other 400gb is storage. that makes starting fresh on windows much easier if you get a virus or something.

also, you can partition the 500gb so that only say 100gb is boot and the other 400gb is storage. that makes starting fresh on windows much easier if you get a virus or something.

I was going to say this, but you beat me to it. Bad cujo, bad cujo!

I usually partition my boot drive for just the OS plus a bit more for programs that work better in the same partition. So, 100gb should be more than plenty.

If your OS has to be reinstalled, you don't have to mess with the data in the "larger" partition.

Also, you should look at getting a HD with a good speed. Faster HDs = faster loading of your proggies/games.

this is really not a real stat. I know that there is more than likely a measuring device somewhere that will say that the game was loaded 1.4ms faster but the reality is that if you have a hard drive that is at least 7200rpm and has a cache of at least 8mb then you will not see load times increase by using a raptor or the like. Real world testing shows little or no improvements by using these faster drives. Benchmarking scores (if that is what you want to increase) do get a boost. No matter how fast your hard drive is you are still bottlenecked at the RAM, CPU, Mobo or something that makes it pointless at this point in technology.

That is my opinion and I've had a set of raptors running in Raid-0 and when I did my new build went with a regular 500gb WD w/ 16mb cache.