Looking at new laptop

General J

I had the feeling that the 17" one was going to be a burden to carry around.

Now my serious question is the difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of vista, and just how much better the 9700M GT will perform compared to the 9600M GS or the 1 gig ATI 3650.

get the 15" one. 1gb of memory on a laptop vid card is pure overkill. very few desktop card even have 1gb right now. only the newest ati/nvidia desktop cards even have enough horsepower to utilize that ram.

So, I went with the G50V-A1. I figured the 15.4" was more than big enough. I also had read a lot of things talking about how the 32-bit version of vista would show all 4 gigs of ram, but couldn't actually use it all. I don't know if that is still true after all the updates. But, if it is, it amuses me that they sell machines with 6gb ram and pre-install 32-bit vista.

Anyhow, I will give a review once I have it in hand.

Just so you know my SLi lappy is 17" with 1920 x 1200 and I still don't think SLi is necessary :-)

I mean I LIKE it, but I don't think it's necessary.....

That being said--everyone complains about 17" laptops not being portable enough, but I gotta say, I haven't regretted this laptop at all. I wouldn't go any smaller because I like the full sized keyboard and number pad (though not all 17" lappys have this). I have no problem carrying it around, I don't mind getting it out at Panera bread, and yeah--the point I'm trying to make is that the large size doesn't bother me at all. I can still tuck it under my arm and go somewhere with it.

It sounds to me like you made a good choice! ASUS G-series laptops are AWESOME--especially for the price! Congrats, my friend!

(edited)

yeah, some folks here need to take their skirts off with the whole 17" laptop not being portable thing :D

.... of the choices above though, go with the 15.4" one.

Edited by boilersax

So, I have had the laptop a few days, and only had a limited time to mess with it. CS:S runs like a dream with everything cranked. System is fast, build quality is super nice. I would definitely buy another Asus in a heartbeat. The machine I bought for the money is worth every penny. You can not beat ASUS's warranty, and they were ( I believe) the only company offering 802.11n that I noticed. Battery life is great when it is set to "power saving." "High performance" sucks through the battery in less than an hour from what I have seen. But it is running a lo of stuff. Even comes with everything down to a Logitech MX518 mouse. My only complaint is the keyboard, which feels a bit loose for my taste with a new computer. It's not horrible, but it feels a little pre-broken in to me.