warhammer online

Ringadon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked this up this morning & started it up. I dunno if anyone has played DAoC, but this game is incredibly similar. I probably

should have expected that, seeing as mythic is the creator of that game and said they were baseing it on that. I was really

impressed at how smooth the game ran for a new release. The information is easily accessible through the tome of knowledge,

controls are standard hotbar/point & click MMO fare. The graphics are lacking IMO though, comparing this game to the likes

of Vanguard or LOTRO, or even WoW for that matter. The public quests are the absolute coolest thing I have ever seen in a

MMO, I must say. Look for Blizzard to incorporate this idea into WoW. They would be foolish not to. I have little experience on

the PvP side of this so far. I tried one battleground at level 5, a basic take & hold 2 points on the map deal. Once both points

are secure for 10 seconds a large explosion occurs clearing most of the battlefield of both friend and foe alike. It was kinda cool,

but I found myself up against level 11 players and, despite the game boosting me to level 8 to compensate, they made short work

of me pretty quick. Open world PvP is all over the place. There are areas that seem to move around, that are automatic flag areas.

This represents the ebb and flow of battle, but again, I am only a level 7 ATM and have yet to see any significant opposition. I'm

curious about some of the larger pvp areas, and I'm itching to get to one of the big cities to have a look. I definately will not stop

playing WoW for this, but it is certainly different. I have a high elf archmage. I'll post up again later what server it's on cant remember ATM,

I'm not sure how much time I'm going to sink into this game though, new patch coming out for WoW very soon. This will give

me some much needed change for a little while though. :)

Edited by wayfarer

Ok, the server I'm on is Hochland. One thing I failed to mention earlier. I have to accept the player terms

of agreement every time I log in. I really hope this is a bug, becuase it's really annoying. Has no effect on the

gameplay, unless I decline then I don't play lol.

Here are my thoughts on this game at level 9;

- One point that has not been mentioned this far is that four of the original six major cities have been axed from the game prior

to launch. The only auction houses in the game at the moment are in the two major cities in the human starting area, which I

have yet to figure out how to get to. The way this game is set up, I'm really trying to grasp how four major cities got axed when

the whole point to the end content is to save the major cities of your faction while sacking the major cities of the opposing faction.

- If you find an item you would like to sell, there is no way of advertising it in general chat, that I am aware of. I have yet

to see any advertisments from people selling anything. Finding gear is very difficult here, though I have seen some pretty good items

from public quest loot and renown rewards.

- The graphics in this game are terrible. I have games that are several years old that have better graphics. I'm really

surprised anyone is having difficulties with this game.

- The musical score, when it plays which is not often, is not bad but really fails to deliver the hopeless, all is lost, general mood

that seems to be the focus of this game.

- Alot of what I have experienced here really reminded me of my trial in Dark Age of Camelot. The graphics are slightly better in

WaR, but it is essentially a clone of that game. Seriously, anyone that is thinking about this game should go and download the free trial for

DAoC and play it first.

- As for PvP I found it pretty cool the way the game flows, taking control of one point, losing another, the consequences of your actions all

playing a role in the general flow of the entire game, both PvP and PvE. This is all the same as DAoC however, and one on one tactics seem

to be lacking. There is no specific classes to look out for, no counter to what an enemy is doing, whoever nukes first wins. Kill the healer and it's

all over for that paticular fight.

- One redeeming quality I must say is the public quests. As long as enough people are contributing, these quests are alot of fun, and very rewarding, in

both experience and gear. In this regard WaR is groundbreaking, and I'm pretty sure we will see this aspect of gameplay spread to all of the major MMO's.

- Don't even bother worrying about professions. You are only allowed one crafting and one harvesting profession. Which is not bad considering there are only

two crafting, and three harvesting professions available. I thought I would try one, but after finally finding someone that could teach me at level 5 my ONLY recourse

was to go back to the level one - two area and farm for rare drops that I could use to get materials to level this. (yes level five drops are too high to start aquiring mats)

absoloutely unbelieveable. I dropped the whole idea at that time.

Anyone who considered this would be competative to WoW in any way shape or form is seriously mistaken. This game needs a ton of work to salvalge it into a form

good enough to even be considered a major MMO, let alone a contender for WoW. Unless this game gets a major transformation I can not forsee myself going past the

30 day trial period. Although I have yet to play EQ 1 or 2, nor have I played AoC, I do feel at this time that the only MMO that is worth considering as an alt game for WoW

is LOTRO especially given its 9.99 per month subscription fee.

Thanks for the writeup wayfarer! So what about class balance? It sounds like they went for "anyone can kill anyone" rather than the paper-rock-scissors approach. And are there a lot of broken skills? How's the levelling process... does it seem like it's going quickly, or it's going to be months before someone reaches the level cap?

Levelling up seems pretty easy enough. The levels are harder to grind than most MMO's, but this is understandable given it's

low level cap of 40. I have only played 2 classes so far, but it seems like there is some degree of balance. Like I said earlier

whoever nukes first wins, and all classes seem to be capable of that. I have not seen any broken skills so far, but my warrior

priest is only level 4 and my archmage is level 9. I'm going to put a little more time into this and see where it goes, though I'm

sure the new WoW patch will be available on tuesday and I'll be grinding more there. I've been having a hard time finding people

to do the public quests, I'm wondering what the overall health of this game is like.

- The graphics in this game are terrible. I have games that are several years old that have better graphics. I'm really

surprised anyone is having difficulties with this game.

Why do you say the graphics are terrible? It certainly does not have realistic graphics like HL2 or anything, but they are still pretty good in my book. How would you rate them compared to WOW? Seems like they both use the same kind of style.

I'm still trying to figure out where people are playing, server wise et race wise et cetera

Same here.

In the meantime, I created a Swordmaster on Grimnir - currently at level 5. From what I'm seeing in some of the forums, Order seems to be favored over Destruction. I'm open for either, though - just need to find a server you guys are all on! :)

I've got 2 on Heldenhammer

A Dwarven Engineer: with my name and everything

and A High Elf White Lion: Named Greyfell

If someone wants to form a .gc guild on a particular server in a particular race (or if you guys can figure out how to get from one race's starting map to another I've yet to figure it out) I'm game

I reserved two names on Heldenhammer this morning. I'm going to try out the runepriest class tonight. Is everyone else cool with starting a character on that server?

Btw, my experience with GC guilds so far is that they really don't end up going anywhere, and we'd just join a bigger guild or stay small and go dormant. Not sure how it was in WoW, but that was the case for Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Hellgate?, etc

Fresh view at level 12.....

I got my warrior priest to level 12 last night and I must say I'm really starting to see some of the color in this game.

I still think the graphics are terrible. Wow's graphics are "cleaner" and more detailed. You can't compare this

games graphics to games like vanguard, you just can't. Maybe I'm a little harsh here but given the hype behind

this game, and the release date of late 2008, I think the graphics could have been a little better. This game does

have alot more tactics in PvP then my initial thoughts. The way this game is intertwined is kinda cool. Once you

get to your first flightmaster you can get to any of the three flightmasters of that level plus the capital city.

Once you open up the next tier warcamp you can get to all three flightmasters in that tier. It's important to

travel between all three and get your influence up high enough to get the good rewards in each chapters

public quests. All three have different rewards so you can score some pretty good loot definately giving

you an advantage on the battlefield. I'm really having a lot of fun with this now.