school is offering me Vista ultimate Upgrade

Laz.e.rus

Its $65 for Vista Ultimate Upgrade.

Its offered in 32 or 64 bit, your choice.

Should I do it ( running Home now)

If so, which version? Is there still that many issues with using a 64 bit? Any positives about using 64 bit to offset driver and compatibility issues?

I use Vista Ultimate 64 at home and I've ZERO problems with it. It's never crashed--at all.

The only real issue I've had is that some of my OLD Win95 games have issues running from time to time. I've been able to get most of them to work, but I can't seem to get FFVII to run. Everything else does--including Masters of Orion II, which was, and still is, a fantastic game.

However, the difference between Ultimate and Home isn't the same as the difference between XP Home and XP Pro (home being a giant POS). The only difference between Home and Ultimate in Vista is that a few components are missing from home that are in Ultimate. So I suggest looking at a chart and deciding whether it's worth spending your cash:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...ns/default.aspx

For basic use, I'd say stick with home unless you're like me and want to make full use of your 64-bit processor. If you decide not to buy it, lemme know, 'cause I need a 64 bit copy of Vista for my wife's computer! :)

Sorry, I meant Im running 'XP' home on this one right now.

Im running xp64 on the wifey's 3800, Vista home premium on the new laptop (only a couple issues here and there), and xp-pro on the old laptop.

Will I notice improvements in anything other than a cool desktop, and DX10 effects?

And still and more importantly...

any other info on comparing vista Ult 32 to Vista ult 64. Pro/con.?

no real reason to upgrade tbh, Vista is nice but to go from home prem to ultimate is absolutely silly unless you need one of the features for something specific. I only upgraded to vista so I could play Crysis and you can't do that on a lappy that comes with home premium I don't believe lol

On another note I will but the copy of Vista Ultimate 64 from you for $80 for when I build my parents a new PC for xmas :D

Sorry, I meant Im running 'XP' home on this one right now.

thats xp, not vista.

the upgrade would be xp home to vista ultimate

Friends don't let friends use XP Home....it's almost as bad as ME...if not worse. Get rid of that ASAP. Also, XP64 is a lot more quirky than Vista64 Ultimate. My dad is still using XP 64, and it's a pain in the neck sometimes--though not as bad recently as before, it still has more issues than my PC running Vista64.

What ever you do, GET RID OF XP HOME.

i feel dirty saying this, but i agree with the real maverick, mav.

xp home? are you nuts?

I can see it now, the next MS commercial featuring Bill Gates and his new bff sj:

"My name is Stuttering "Leon" John, and I'm a PC I agree with the real maverick that you should upgrade to Vista Ultimate."