iPod Touch

boiler

Ok, so for my birthday I got a new 8GB iPod Touch. I'm getting it set up now, but had a quick question for those that may have one or are at least more familiar with Apple products than I am (I have already played out the ensuing anonymo/sj posts in my head).

My dad got it from Best Buy, and they offered the replacement plan which he did not initially accept. I have 30 days to add it though, and I'm wondering if it would be a wise investment for $50. I have no idea what kind of coverage Apple offers for this thing, and of course I intend to take good care of it. It will primarily be used in my car with the occasional excursion and I am going to buy a protective case/sleeve for it. The biggest thing that is making me consider the replacement plan is the battery question (especially since it's all enclosed and I would have to take it to a "genius" to fix).

What do you guys think? Should I get the plan or not? Any suggestions for cases?

You bring up a good point.

I have the iphone 3g, and I wish I got the extension plan b/c of things like battery.

Wonder if you can get this directly from Apple?

I had a post about cases when I got mine.

I ended up getting a hybrid case.

A hard case, with silicone grips on the back, so it's tough, yet not slippery.

I didnt want to get a normal silicone one b/c it's tough getting in and out of my pocket and doesnt protect from drops as well as a hard care.

http://www.dlo.com/products/hshell_touch_P...wpage&cart=

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...G2&v=glance

amazon is currently out of stock, but gives u more spec and a better picture.

btw, this does include a screen protector which i highly advice if anything.

btw, this is for the iphone, i just thought, maybe they make an ipod touch version, where there isn't a hole cut out of the protective screen for the ear speaker.

added the dlo.com link goes to the ipod version

Edited by ZesteR

how much is the ipod touch? if it's

you don't need to protect the screen. it'll be fine. if you like things to stay pretty, get a case. as a windows user, you probably don't care, want to overclock it, then complain when it starts becoming unstable. *ehem*

fwiw, i've got the agent18 case for my iphone, but i dont see it for the touch.

sorry, back to the sudafed. carry on.

It was $230, and from what I've read the battery life is much improved in this model (gen 2) compared to the original model. I'm kinda leaning towards skipping the plan at this point. I guess I'm curious as to what kind of support I could expect to get if I had a problem with it in the next year or so if I took it to an Apple Store.

The Touch is essentially an iPhone without the phone (at least from the outside), so I'm guessing iPhone cases would probably work. I do want this thing to stay looking pretty since it looks oh so nice out of the box.

I finally got to mess around with it a little after the pain of installing and configuring iTunes ( <_< ) and I am really impressed. I like that it has an internal speaker as well so I can play music without headphones if I'm not worried about perfect sound quality.

I just ordered this so that I can have iPod integration with my stock stereo in my Accord. I'm going to do the install myself, so that should be a fun project :)

iphone != ipod touch -> different dimensions. the agent18 is a hard plastic case, which i prefer to the soft cases that get stuck in your pocket.

if you're thinking about a warranty, think about the apple care from the apple store, or triple check that your best buy extended plan carries over to the apple stores. i really doubt that's the case, and in my experience, apple support > best buy support.

oh, and try genius in itunes8. it won't discover new music for you, but it will build a dynamic playlist around the song you're now listening to. i was a skeptic, but am sold now.

care to compare your touch to a zune? :D

huh, I guess I needed to do a side-by-side compare with the iPhone because at a glance they look similar in dimension :shrug03:

I'm sure there are plenty of protective options available. This will probably spend the majority of it's life in my car or my briefcase so sticking in pockets won't be too much of an issue (wear moar baggy clothes, sj). I will take a look at Apple Care and see what they offer/how much compared to Best Buy.

Wait, is Mo jealous of an apple product? :biglaugha:

I do have to give a point to Apple on this: the iTouch is definitely better than the Zune I looked at.

touch(me):

Height: 4.3 inches (110 mm)

Width: 2.4 inches (61.8 mm)

Depth: 0.33 inch (8.5 mm)

Weight: 4.05 ounces (115 grams)1

phone(home):

Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)

Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)

Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)

Weight: 4.7 ounces (133 grams)

so, at the end of the day, imo, as you can clearly see, size does matter. it is what it is.

(double point bonus for incorporating annoying phrases?)

nice post sj.

not to hijack, maybe this will help you boiler.

Im looking for a charging station that is a clock with speakers for my iphone 3g.

walmart has them where i can plug em in, but i get that error all the time, is that normal? "This device is not setup or w/e, would u like to put the phone in airplane mode?"

None of them say compatible with iphone 3g.

Any ideas?

nice post sj.

not to hijack, maybe this will help you boiler.

Im looking for a charging station that is a clock with speakers for my iphone 3g.

walmart has them where i can plug em in, but i get that error all the time, is that normal? "This device is not setup or w/e, would u like to put the phone in airplane mode?"

None of them say compatible with iphone 3g.

Any ideas?

I've read that this may have something to do with the fact that the 3G, new nanos, and iTouch 2nd gen all have a different charging configuration (they use USB instead of Firewire). It's a similar situation with the car integration thing I am getting. I have to get the "new and improved" cable that charges the new iPods/phones separately from the manufacturer. It may be a little while until you see "clocks" that are fully compatible with the new stuff since they haven't been out very long. Unless you want to spend a silly amount on Apple-branded solutions.

afaik, the "not supported" message you get is because the device doesn't have a way to reduce the speaker interference you get when the phone is roaming, pulling data, etc. it's that beeping you hear when someone has a cellphone next to a speakerphone, speakers, etc. it happens everytime i plug my phone into our belkin-fm adapter. just click no to airplane mode, and keep the phone as far away from the speakers as possible. if it's a dock, i guess that complicates things, so either throw it in airplane mode, or enjoy listening to the beeps every time the phone pings the towers. its a non issue for me, so i have no idea if any other products have come out to address it.

the iphone 3g/edge/nano/touch doesn't have a problem charging from these adapters, just the interference...well, afaik.

btw, boiler/newest mac convert - apple's strategy is to deliver the product, then let 3rd parties create the addons. so, silly amount on an apple-branded solution - not seeing it.

:peace:

how much is the ipod touch? if it's < $200, don't worry about the warranty. 2 years from now, when the battery is dying, we'll all be in hovercrafts and taking personal teleport machines.

you don't need to protect the screen. it'll be fine. if you like things to stay pretty, get a case. as a windows user, you probably don't care, want to overclock it, then complain when it starts becoming unstable. *ehem*

fwiw, i've got the agent18 case for my iphone, but i dont see it for the touch.

sorry, back to the sudafed. carry on.

For the record: I've been running my home PC with an overclocked Core2Duo from 2.4ghz to 3.0 for over a year now and it hasn't crashed once. :)

In any case, I'd consider the plan if the thing was over $200 mainly because of the battery (as someone else said). But before you decide, MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS COVERED in the plan. :)

yea, i have an aux input on my car stereo and i have the iphone 3g adapter that plugs in the bottom and goes to red/white rca plugs into the stereo. And also usb port that allows me to charge my iphone while driving and playing music off the iphone.

Of course i get the interference from the pinging, but i also get a small fuzz in the background from the charging.

All goes away when I turn the music up though :P and keep the iphone away from the speakers/wires

i actually should take pics of it.

Before things get nuts here, let me make it very clear that I still hate iTunes and will never own a Mac :wiggle2:

On the interference thing - I'm kinda surprised this is an issue considering the iPhone has been out for a while now. You'd think they would have worked out a way to prevent this by now. Strange.

funny-pictures-cat-wishes-to-access-your-cookies.jpg

Edited by boiler

sooo...alot has been said in this topic.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Apple coverage is good. From my experience (though others have had different) if you take an Apple product that is busted to the Apple store within a year or so of its purchase, they will replace it for you with a refurbished product. If you buy the Apple Care protection plan (which can be purchased at any time, separate from the product and applied to the products serial number online) you will get 3 years of coverage. I don't think the 3 years coverage is worth it.

2) Be careful about peripherals because certain ones won't work correctly with the newest iphones/touches. It looks like you already know that though.

3) You will buy a Mac some day. You just got your entry drug into the Apple world. There's no going back.

Apple TV is a computer running OS X. So yes...you will own a Mac.

And one day, you will have a normal Mac computer as well.

You will ALL give in, you just aren't aware of it yet.

lol, it sounds like you're inviting us to drink the purple Kool-Aide, or telling us how sweet it is do sniff glue behind the bleachers after school....hahahaha...

PEER PRESSURE!