Monitor or TV?

dwEEziL

Ok, I've been wondering about this for a long time and thought I'd finally ask in here. I'd like to get a monitor that I can use both for my computer and TV. What do people suggest? Are their specific types of monitors for this purpose? I've always assumed using a monitor is better than using a TV...is this true? Are their monitors out there with coax in? I assume monitors with HDMI connectors can take inputs from cable boxes...is this true?

I know if I want to do dvr/pvr type stuff I'll need a capture card too. Any suggestions on this?

you can use a TV just fine

Just make sure it's 1080p, and don't get too large for where you're going to be sitting. In other words, if you're going to be sitting 2 feet from the thing while using your computer, you DON'T need a 52" TV, nor should you get one. For a computer monitor I'd recommend 37" to 42" as the maximum size. If I did it, I'd go 37" personally, but it depends on your set up.

Don't buy plasma for a computer monitor, the LCDs work better for your buck. You can get a Plasma that does a fantastic job, but you're going to spend a lot of money to get the kind you should. You can just go buy a $999 plasma and expect it to work spectacularly as a monitor. However, you can go ahead and buy a $700 LCD and expect it to do a fantastic job. :)

Hope that helps! I can throw out some specific models if you like.

Well, I've already got a 52" TV for the living room. This will be for my bedroom. Right now I have a 19" WS monitor for the computer and a 32" regular TV. I'd like to replace the 32" TV with an LCD monitor that I can use on my computer and then use the 19" as either a dual setup or on another PC.

1080p resolution means that the lcd can usually do at least 1920x1080, but mostly likely 1920x1200. If you go with a TV and want good resolution, stay away from 720p. That is basically 1366x768 resolution. Although it doesn't look bad(I have my laptop hooked up to my gf's 32" 720p. I doubt it would do for gaming.

1920x1200 is the same resolution no matter how it is marketed.. If it were me and I didn't own this 28" LCD. I would buy a 37" 1080p and mount on the wall in front of my computer desk.

1080p resolution means that the lcd can usually do at least 1920x1080, but mostly likely 1920x1200. If you go with a TV and want good resolution, stay away from 720p. That is basically 1366x768 resolution. Although it doesn't look bad(I have my laptop hooked up to my gf's 32" 720p. I doubt it would do for gaming.

1920x1200 is the same resolution no matter how it is marketed.. If it were me and I didn't own this 28" LCD. I would buy a 37" 1080p and mount on the wall in front of my computer desk.

Agreed :)

I know he said above to make sure it's 1080p but like you posted before your TV signal is only 720p anyway so why blow a few hundred on tech that won't be utilized. Personally I shopped around a ton and ended up going to bestbuy and getting the very cheapest 32" they sold. The brand is Dynex and it is very nice. My parents bought an expensive 32" sony and it has a huge line across the middle now and the picture is grainy. I picked up the Dynex for around $400 and if you don't mind a middle of the night waiting game I am sure Bestbuy and a few other places will have some crazy deals on TVs next Friday. Personally I did the wait all night thing once and that was enough for me, it would take an insane deal to get me to do it again.

Dynex has a great picture for monitor and TV. I have been told the LCD panel is an LG but this is unconfirmed. I walked through the showroom at the super bestbuy here and there was only one that had a picture that was "better" and it was $1199 and not that much better.

Dynex has a great picture for monitor and TV. I have been told the LCD panel is an LG but this is unconfirmed. I walked through the showroom at the super bestbuy here and there was only one that had a picture that was "better" and it was $1199 and not that much better.

Any HDTV can look good in a store when fed an HD signal. What really separates the "OK" TVs from the great ones is how they handle SD signals, PC signals, quick action (ie sports and GAMING), etc. You are paying primarily for signal processing, and depending on your application can be very much worth the difference in price. There is a lot more to it than who makes the actual display panel. I'm not saying your Dynex isn't a decent TV (especially for the price), but you can't say it compares to higher end models in picture quality.

My question regarding the monitor vs. LCDTV thing is this: for which application would it be most frequently used? If you will be using it for computer/gaming 75% of the time and TV 25% of the time, then you may want to get a computer monitor that also accepts signals from other sources (ie HDMI, component, cable). Computer monitors can make OK TVs, and TVs can make OK computer monitors. There aren't many options that excel at both. That said, it would be cheaper to buy an LCD TV for this case here as you could get a bigger size (say 37") for less money. MAKE SURE that it can do 1080p though as you would be miserable trying to use a 720p TV with your computer. That resolution just doesn't cut it these days for computer usage (unless you like working on 15" or smaller LCD monitors). Keep in mind that you need to check the TVs you may look at for their supported VGA resolutions (unless you hook up via HDMI). Some 1080p TVs don't actually accept a 1080p signal over VGA, and that is particularly the case with cheaper models.

Edited by boiler