Fired!

Playaa

a friend of mine runs a software development company that does business consulting and application development with a remote team of developers. .net, sql, java, plus others. i'm not sure if they're hiring, but i know his business isn't slowing down. send me a current resume if you want me to pass it on.

otherwise, :(

My family has been without a paycheck since August. Unemployment is about to run out and the job market here is bad. It'll probably get worse after the New Year as well due to Chrysler and GM cutting back jobs. Luckily you're in a specialized tech profession. GL I'll say a prayer for ya.

The number of computer science majors in college has been on the decline since 2001/2002.. aka the .com boom. Programming jobs have been on the rise since 2002. You shouldn't have much trouble. A skilled programmer is a valuable asset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In what way?

I never touched Javascript but I knew C# so picking up Javascript was a piece of cake.

It's like Portuguese and Spanish. Similar but different.

C/C++ is more dangerous, has more traps, etc.; some stuff is just crazy, such as template meta programming; a lot of stuff that .NET libraries support for you, you have to do manually; when i was in uni, my partner and i started a C# project with him having no experience in C#, and me having extremely minimal experience in it. in one short session, we got our networking + threading framework up and running; at the end of the year, our group of 2 ppl had a project that was much better than another group doing the same project, who had 3 ppl but coded in C

In what way?

I never touched Javascript but I knew C# so picking up Javascript was a piece of cake.

It's like Portuguese and Spanish. Similar but different.

C/C++ is more dangerous, has more traps, etc.; some stuff is just crazy, such as template meta programming; a lot of stuff that .NET libraries support for you, you have to do manually; when i was in uni, my partner and i started a C# project with him having no experience in C#, and me having extremely minimal experience in it. in one short session, we got our networking + threading framework up and running; at the end of the year, our group of 2 ppl had a project that was much better than another group doing the same project, who had 3 ppl but coded in C

so your basically saying C# is much much easier to program in? I agree. You can do the exact same thing in C++ as C#, but you have to be a much better programmer. Also, if you want to do open source, you can't do C#. Not to mention the overhead of having to use the .net framework, it's not good for embedded hardware or attempting to minimize your footprint. If your dealing with embedded you might want to use C anyway.