Trying to avoid BSOD

TheFirstMonk

Hey all,

I built my computer, and I booted it up last night. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit with SP1 without a problem. I set everything up in Vista, such as username and password, and I was able to shut down and boot up normally. Unfortunately, I can't seem to install the ATI drivers for my Radeon HD 4850 correctly. I installed the Intel Chipset INF drivers first from my motherboard support disc, then I installed the most recent ATI drivers for Vista x64 from their website. After installation, the computer asks to restart. I hit okay, and it gets past the Windows loading screen with the green meter that shows progress. Instead of booting to the welcome page where I type in my password and username, I get a blue screen; I try seeing what it says, but it always switches in under a second. I have to restart in safe mode and go to system restore to an earlier point. The blue screen only shows up after I install the ATI drivers and restart.

This morning, I made a clean install of Windows Vista again (with formatting), but I haven't installed anything else yet. What do you guys think the problem is? I don't think it's my memory; I only have 2 GB installed for now until I update Vista so I can use 4 GB. I haven't updated to the latest version of BIOS yet either, although I planned on doing that after I install my antivirus software.

Some of the devices in device manager have exclamation points next to them (including the "standard VGA adapter," which is probably my Radeon); I think one of them is for my USB mouse, another is for a USB flash drive I'm using to transfer programs from my old computer to my new one (small programs like CCleaner and cpu-z), etc. I'm thinking about trying to disable the audio since some people say that their 4850 has audio that interferes or something. I don't think I have onboard graphics turned on, although I can't seem to find that device anywhere, so it could in fact be on. I know that there was a hotfix for the 4850 in the summer or some time ago, but I don't know if I should install that and then install the newest drivers (?).

It's not the PSU; there's more than enough to power my computer. I don't think it's due to overheating either since I haven't done anything intensive with it, and I haven't had the computer on for more than an hour.

My specs:

PC Power and Cooling 750W PS

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 CPU

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

Patriot 2GB ddr2 1066

ASUS P5Q SE PLUS motherboard

Seagate 500GB HD

LG 22x DVD Burner

I'll post more info if I eliminate any other possibilities. I'm going to try installing the chipset drivers from the ASUS website and then retry installing the ATI drivers, but I don't think that will solve it. Thanks again for helping me build my computer, guys. :smillie_smilling: Hopefully, I can get past this driver installation mess and actually use my new computer... :biglaugha:

Drivers for the Mobo "should" work, I usually go straight to the manufacturer, and download the latest and greatest. Same for your ATI card, download the latest and greatest. Best possible problem could be the ram, use only 1 stick until you get everything updated and rolling.

I would assume there is a power outlet ON your ATI card for extra power, make sure that is plugged in, that could cause issues with the drivers installed because the computer starts running everything in pretty mode, and without the extra power, it will BSOD.

Also you have your 24 pin and 4/8 pin connectors plugged into your motherboard. (just looking at a the mobo pick really quick) The 4 pin looks like it is all the way on the top left corner of the board.

It could also be an issue with Vista, and you may have to do an update for that before you install your ATI card drivers.

I don't use ATI and never liked them, but my info should help a little... I hope. ZD may have an answer.

Edited by NorgmaN

My 4870 has 2 6 pin connectors so your 4850 may also. Also pitch that ATI CD in the trash and just DL the newest driver pack from www.ati.com

Also if you have an onboard video port (can't recall which mobo you bought) make sure you go into the bios and make the PCIE the video preference. Make sure all your windows updates are done and then if you are still having issues uninstall/reinstall the ATI drivers (newest)

Thanks for the suggestions. I rechecked that I connected a 6 pin connector to the video card (I did) and made sure it was attached firmly. There's only one connector that I can see on the card, and only one is required in the manual (I'm not using Crossfire or it would have required 2 connections).

I also checked in my manual to see if there was an onboard graphics card on my motherboard; there wasn't. I also rechecked my 24 pin and 4 pin connectors like Norgman suggested, and they're all in there tight.

I installed all the drivers for the devices that had exclamation points next to them in the Device Manager (except for the "standard graphics adapter," i.e the Radeon HD 4850), so those should not be variables anymore. I'm going to try updating Vista, but that will require me to install antivirus first (to avoid infection) now instead of the graphics drivers. I'm also going to have to figure out how to make a direct connection between my old and new computer since my wireless adapter on my old computer is not 64 bit capable; it only has 32 bit vista drivers available on the Internet, which doesn't help me much.

So, my plan now is: find a way to make a direct connection between my 2 computers to access the Internet for my new computer to update Windows Vista, while a different adapter is ordered through the mail. Until that new adapter gets here, I'm probably going to be stuck tinkering with my new computer instead of actually using it. <_<

Thanks for the help though. I'm going to keep searching and losing sleep; so many, many possibilities as to how to fix this problem according to the Internet forums. :biglaugha:

Hey everyone, welcome Monk into the world of problems of building your own computer!! *clap clap clap* He's now part of the club, welcome brother. :D

Anyways, my serious response to this is, I have never had this problem in my 2 builds, and well, the only time i get that blue screen and then no windows load is when i try to OC my CPU too high or i changed settings in the bios that actually require a reinstall of the OS for them to work properly or it wont boot. I would definitely download the newest drivers straight from their website and use those rather then the disc.

Update: Install is not going well. Instead of installing video card drivers again, I updated Windows using Windows Update first so that I could make sure that wasn't the problem. After successfully downloading the necessary updates, the computer asks to restart. I say okay, and I get the BSOD again after the Windows loading screen with the green bar. Didn't even have to install video drivers to get it this time; this time, I update Windows, and it happens. I don't know what the problem is anymore.

I went back to doing a clean install of Windows again. Here's what my plan is this time based on what you guys suggested and what I've experienced:

Install Windows OS-done

1. After OS, install chipset drivers.

2. Install audio drivers

3. Install Realtek Lan drivers

4. Install Asus EPU 4 engine

5. Install Express Gate

(These are all drivers that are listed in the motherboard manual. I'm installing all of them to be on the safe side, except for Norton antivirus, which I don't want or need.)

6. Install Asus Update BIOS Utility

7. Install Microsoft Directx9.0c(?)

(There are more utilities, but I'm installing the Update BIOS utility, so that I can update BIOS from within Windows safely. The Microsoft Directx9.0c is just to avoid any problems with the video card.)

8. Install wireless adapter that will allow me to connect to Internet.

9. Activate Windows online(?)

10. Run Asus Update BIOS utility and download latest from ASUS website.

11. After restart, update Windows through Windows Update. Restart.

If successful, then install video card drivers.

If not, go back to system restore to beginning before audio driver installation.

If necessary, I'll install the wireless adapter after the chipset installation. Install Asus Update BIOS utility. Then I'll connect to the Internet and update to the latest BIOS. Then install everything else, and then update Windows.

I dunno, I'm feeling pretty lost here. Anyone else got a better installation plan? I only changed one setting in BIOS, which was the boot order priority (DVD drive first, HD after that, etc.) If everything still goes wrong after this one, I'll probably rip out the 2 GB of memory and replace it with the other stick that came with it. The memory shouldn't be a problem unless I'm supposed to go into BIOS and set the voltage; I left it to auto.

If anyone has their own method of installing stuff, I'm open to hearing it, even though I might not be able to apply each step exactly since everyone has different components. I could use the help though.

Update: Install is not going well. Instead of installing video card drivers again, I updated Windows using Windows Update first so that I could make sure that wasn't the problem. After successfully downloading the necessary updates, the computer asks to restart. I say okay, and I get the BSOD again after the Windows loading screen with the green bar. Didn't even have to install video drivers to get it this time; this time, I update Windows, and it happens. I don't know what the problem is anymore.

I went back to doing a clean install of Windows again. Here's what my plan is this time based on what you guys suggested and what I've experienced:

Install Windows OS-done

1. After OS, install chipset drivers.

2. Install audio drivers

3. Install Realtek Lan drivers

4. Install Asus EPU 4 engine

5. Install Express Gate

(These are all drivers that are listed in the motherboard manual. I'm installing all of them to be on the safe side, except for Norton antivirus, which I don't want or need.)

6. Install Asus Update BIOS Utility

7. Install Microsoft Directx9.0c(?)

(There are more utilities, but I'm installing the Update BIOS utility, so that I can update BIOS from within Windows safely. The Microsoft Directx9.0c is just to avoid any problems with the video card.)

8. Install wireless adapter that will allow me to connect to Internet.

9. Activate Windows online(?)

10. Run Asus Update BIOS utility and download latest from ASUS website.

11. After restart, update Windows through Windows Update. Restart.

If successful, then install video card drivers.

If not, go back to system restore to beginning before audio driver installation.

If necessary, I'll install the wireless adapter after the chipset installation. Install Asus Update BIOS utility. Then I'll connect to the Internet and update to the latest BIOS. Then install everything else, and then update Windows.

I dunno, I'm feeling pretty lost here. Anyone else got a better installation plan? I only changed one setting in BIOS, which was the boot order priority (DVD drive first, HD after that, etc.) If everything still goes wrong after this one, I'll probably rip out the 2 GB of memory and replace it with the other stick that came with it. The memory shouldn't be a problem unless I'm supposed to go into BIOS and set the voltage; I left it to auto.

If anyone has their own method of installing stuff, I'm open to hearing it, even though I might not be able to apply each step exactly since everyone has different components. I could use the help though.

The one thing i would suggest is when u do the chipset install make sure you DL'd the neswest ones from the MB site, get the DL with all the drivers, it should install all of those things u listed after that on its own. Also DO NOT install anything from windows until you get everything from the MB site installed and the graphic drivers installed after that do the windows install and DO NOT let it switch u to automatic update wait until you hav everything updated on your own first. Also make sure you ignore any update that will change anything about your MB installed items (update is well known to downgrade to older drivers because they have not gotten around to cert'n them), really making sure it does not try to install another video driver use the newest ones from AMD. In my past 4-5 builds this was an issue i found. Good luck monk...

Tried a number of different ways to install drivers. Nothing works. Installed chipset, motherboard drivers, Windows Update in a number of different orders without a change. Once I install anything from ATI, I get a BSOD.

I think it's the card now. I'm getting artifacts at BIOS, Windows loading screen, desktop (oddly, there are less artifacts here than in the other ones), etc.; a couple of vertical blue lines at BIOS, a lot of red lines and green lines at Windows loading screen, a couple red lines at desktop, and some similar problems in between screens.

I'm guessing the card is defective since I'm not OCing anything, and it can't be overheating since it happens right as I turn on the computer. Everything is plugged in right, card is seated correctly, 6 pin is in securely, the monitor doesn't seem to be the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's the card. I'm going to switch monitors from my old computer to the new one, switch cables, etc., but I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong now. My 7600GT never showed artifacts when I first installed it in my current computer, just a lower resolution because I hadn't installed drivers yet; the 4850 shows a lower resolution and artifacts.

I'm inside the 30 day period for RMA to Newegg. Anyone got any tips for me? It should be a straightforward process, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with Newegg's RMA procedure and had any advice on how to deal with them. Thanks.

Tried a number of different ways to install drivers. Nothing works. Installed chipset, motherboard drivers, Windows Update in a number of different orders without a change. Once I install anything from ATI, I get a BSOD.

I think it's the card now. I'm getting artifacts at BIOS, Windows loading screen, desktop (oddly, there are less artifacts here than in the other ones), etc.; a couple of vertical blue lines at BIOS, a lot of red lines and green lines at Windows loading screen, a couple red lines at desktop, and some similar problems in between screens.

I'm guessing the card is defective since I'm not OCing anything, and it can't be overheating since it happens right as I turn on the computer. Everything is plugged in right, card is seated correctly, 6 pin is in securely, the monitor doesn't seem to be the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's the card. I'm going to switch monitors from my old computer to the new one, switch cables, etc., but I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong now. My 7600GT never showed artifacts when I first installed it in my current computer, just a lower resolution because I hadn't installed drivers yet; the 4850 shows a lower resolution and artifacts.

I'm inside the 30 day period for RMA to Newegg. Anyone got any tips for me? It should be a straightforward process, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with Newegg's RMA procedure and had any advice on how to deal with them. Thanks.

Ya go ahead and do the RMA, they are really good about things and quick. Hey atleast this way you will know if it is the card when you get the new one in.. :)

I never install the software that comes with devices if I don't have to. I don't know what their executable is really installing.

I basically go to control panel and click on the hardware that doesn't have a driver installed. I then use that page and browse to where the driver is located and tell it to use that. To me this seems much cleaner. Although, I have never done this with my video card. You might want to give it a try.

I switched monitors, swapped cables, etc, and I'm pretty sure it's the card now. Artifacts still show up even with a different monitor and different cables. Nuts.

I actually did download a display driver by accident during the first time I installed the updates from Windows Update (I haven't repeated the same mistake since); it gave me a BSOD too, but I appreciate the suggestion, .fx. I read that some people do that for Windows Vista 64 Bit OS since Vista 64 is kinda picky with drivers. I've used the latest drivers from ATI, the hotfix version for the 4850, the ones from the disk, etc., and none of them work. I've been able to download and install drivers for all the other hardware in device manager successfully, so it confirms for me that it's still the video card that's the problem.

Meh, at least the other components/parts are fine. 1 out of 8-9 isn't so bad. :biglaugha:

Off to RMA and waste money shipping this defective card back. Argh. :freak3:

EDIT: Well, I'm screwed. RMA is void for newegg.com if I sent in a rebate for my item, which I did unfortunately a short time ago. I have a copy of the UPC code, but I doubt they'll take it. Going to try Sapphire, but I'm guessing I won't have success there either. I'm out 150 dollars either way. Nice going, idiot. I actually thought I could build something that didn't suck... :bang:

Edited by TheFirstMonk

I took nightling's suggestion, and it is definitely the video card. I popped in an old, unused 7300LE that came with my old computer, and it worked fine on my new computer. Picture was clear, and the 7300LE also appeared on my computer information without any drivers installed; the 4850 never did show up, and it had a crazy number of artifacts.

I emailed newegg and Sapphire yesterday. Sapphire contacted me back, although newegg hasn't. Even though newegg may not allow me to return it, the email I sent them could still be used as evidence that I tried in case Sapphire suggests I take the RMA up with them. I still have a copy of the UPC code, so I have the information they asked for. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Man I am sorry you are having so many issues...Nothing like getting all the gear and excited about building it, but to run into a wall is just fustraiting. Dont let it discourage you in the future...soo enough the good times will roll and you will now be "that much" wiser...

Cheers,

Happy Holidays