xbox360

dragonfly

Ok, I'm prolly gonna buy one (right after christmas). I'm in Canada, remember, so no US links please!

1. What should I buy? Obviously want a harddrive in it, but what size do you recommend?

2. Where should I buy? Any place to keep an eye on for good deals?

3. What are your favourite games? I'm buying gears (1and 2), any other favourites (especially racing-ish ones?)

4. Just felt like having 4 points.

5. Actually, point 5 is me asking if there's anything else you really recommend I buy along with the system itself... like peripherals.

Thanks, console gamers!

I would buy an Elite if you can. The 120gb hard drive is great since the lasted Dashboard update lets you copy games too your harddrive. Each game is around 6gb, which can fill the 20gb fast.

I don't know of any good places that have it on sale but I was a sucker and bought it from Best Buy with a 2 year warranty. :D

If you like racing games I would recommend Forza Motorsport 2 and Burnout Paradise. Both are great games. Forza is much more realistic if you are into that. Burnout Paradise has awesome crashes. It is also getting constant content updates.

I also highly recommend Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. It's probably one of my favorite 360 games.

If you can, I would rent games before you buy them, as they are pricey.

FYI, there is no 20GB version any more. They have been bumped up to 60GB for the Pro, and 120GB for the Elite. Realistically, I don't think you would NEED 120GB for game installs. For older games (such as Gears 1 and Forza 2) there isn't much of a performance difference and for Halo 3 it's actually worse to install than to run from the disc! Fallout 3 and a few of the newer ones benefit a little from installing, but the biggest advantage to installing is the noise reduction from not spinning the disc. It's also easy to delete game content from the hard drive for games you won't be playing too often. It takes about 10 minutes or so to install a game, so putting one back on isn't a big deal.

I would recommend getting the quick charge kit with an extra rechargeable battery.

To be honest, I would be surprised if you find a "good deal" on a new console. They are generally priced about the same most places you look. The 60GB model is $399 US and that's about true for most sellers.

A few recommendations of favorite games on my 360 (you may have some for PC):

Fallout 3

Mass Effect

Dead Space

Bioshock

Halo 3

There are a few others I'm forgetting at the moment, but those are some good ones. I'm also planning on picking up Prince of Persia after Christmas.

I like the Lego games (have Star wars complete sage and Indy). If you liked the movies, you'll enjoy the game. Mindless fun, but entertaining if you're not in the mood for something more hardcore.

Ack, I meant to say 60GB was $299 in my previous post. :( The elite is $399

??? Canada's Best Buy is Best Buy... :unsure: BB just owns Future Shop, maybe that's what you're getting at? I know it's cold up there but...

Anyways...I highly suggest getting the Elite bundle as the 120gb HD is expensive as heck if you ever decided you want more storage.

Also, the new SKU is being sold now, the Jasper edition, I highly recommend making sure you get one of these, for more info check out this article: http://kotaku.com/5107093/get-close-maybe-...to-a-jasper-360

I would expect many deals to pop up on boxing day but I doubt you'll see a significant drop on the MSRP for 360's at all.

As far as FutureShop being their Best Buy, I just thought that the US didn't have FS, so the closest thing they had to it was BB. Someone from "down there" made that comparison once, so yeah. Maybe it is too cold.

Thanks for the info btw, I'll keep my eye out for the 12.1A. Part of the reason I'm waiting is that I'm most likely going to get some gift certificates too. Hopefully they don't sell ALL of them before I get there. Either way, I could buy arcade and a 60GB hdd for $5 more than just buying a pro... I think that the Elite is overkill for me. I can't see myself wanting to upgrade ever, to be honest. Thanks for your advice though!

Edited by dragonfly

Update: Ok, so I waited in line for about 10-15 minutes this morning at 6:25AM and got the 360 pro. I also bought the quick charge pack. Apparently they're very very smart and Futureshop and thought they needed to give me the 2 free games that came with the bundle (supposed to be indy lego and kungfu panda) but they were out of those. Instead, I got halo3 and some racing game (Gotham racing or something like that) for free. Then I open the box and inside are the 2 games that were supposed to come free anyway. :D

So I got 4 games, recharger kit, and the pro (with the usual stuff that comes with it) for $338 with tax. Unfortunately I didn't get the Jasper edition, but I'm ok with that because you can't tell until you open the box anyway. Thanks again for the help guys! :D :D :D

Ok, now where can I find the best looking 52" lcd? lol jk

I thought the whole deal was that you got 4 free games and not just the two that came with the system...or have I been reading the wrong flier?

Nah, I'm probably the one at fault. The initial deal was 2 free games, then I saw the system for cheaper and just assumed it was the same deal, only more $$$ off. Quit coming in here and making me look dumb! :D

That's the one thing I really like about the PS3 over the xbox 360 and that is the standard 2.5 inch Hard Drive that the PS3 uses. Much cheaper to upgrade later. That and it is a bit quieter.

My sister's bf owns one, they're very very nice. The price is what grabbed this poor student though :)