upgrade

mohawk

It's even cheaper to get the 8500 (I have the 8400 constantly @ 3.83 with no problems, heat or otherwise) and a P45 board, like the Asus P5Q Pro or something like it. I have the OCZ reaper ram (1066) and it's been pretty good (had it around 1150 at one time).

As for GPU, if you dont want to spend much, 8800GT does ok still, but a 260 is really nice :D Everyone seems to love theirs.

If your into overclocking I'd get lower clocked quad for cheaper then that E8500.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115055

OK maybe not a great chip to o/c, my bad.

I love my 260 GTX i picked up $175! In high rez new games it's bout twice as fast as my old 8800gt. Why are people calling this card loud btw?

Edited by bushwack

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Item #:N82E16819115036

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$187.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820231166

Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant

$64.99

$54.99

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813131299

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

$129.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Item #:N82E16835100007

Return Policy: Consumable Items Return Policy

$5.99

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817341002

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

OCZ Equalizer Laser Gaming Mouse

Item #: N82E16800998120

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

-$40.00 Instant

-$9.99 Combo

$45.00 Mail-in Rebate

$159.98

$109.99

Grand Total: $488.95

I'm going to hold off on a GPU and get by with my 7900 gt until i find a sick deal.. thoughts on PSU?

if all you play is css the gpu should be just fine. should be a pretty big improvement in fps with that new hardware. i have the same ram, p5q deluxe and my e6600 is clocked at 3.2. big improvement over my old x2 3800.

from experience. that'll be loud. my 510w was annoying loud. 12cm fan ftw.

They even make loud PSUs nowadays? Past 3 I've had been near silent. I'm impressed with the Rosewill I just bought, ran Furmark for 2 hours and the PSU was still silently puffing out cool air. Well from what I could tell it was quiet, my cpu cooler and 260 gtx was a hummin'.

For the money I would get this one

More than enough power and it's a good brand to boot. Also it's modular and cheapest in the power range. Everyone has their opinion on who makes good PSs. Dweez likes PC Power and Cooling (OCZ now), Cujo likes Antec and Zerodamage likes Enermax. I used to love Ultra, but the last few series of PSs have been poor quality, anyway I'm happy with my Coolmax.

For the money I would get this one

More than enough power and it's a good brand to boot. Also it's modular and cheapest in the power range. Everyone has their opinion on who makes good PSs. Dweez likes PC Power and Cooling (OCZ now), Cujo likes Antec and Zerodamage likes Enermax. I used to love Ultra, but the last few series of PSs have been poor quality, anyway I'm happy with my Coolmax.

Doesn't seem to be all that great according to this review, but at least it didn't go boom like 700w by the same reviewer.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ry&reid=106

Here's the one I picked up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182149

I picked it up for $60 shipped to the house thanks to the use of a promo code. If I had the money I would have grabbed that Antec or an OCZ but they come in at nearly twice the price.

630watts will most likely limit you to a mid level PC though, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 700 watts for a current build. In all honesty I suggest at least 900 so that it will last through 2 builds.

That would be like recommending Intels top CPU to avoid upgrading your cpu for the next couple years. Well almost. :prplwacko:

Well the PS demands currently are in the 600-700 watt range for a mid-high system and most folks think of the PS last on their list of cool things to put in a PC. I like to buy stuff that will go from PC to PC without compromising the quality of the new build (PS, hard drives DVD drives etc). Also the price difference is really negligible as apposed to spending that much extra on a CPU.

And you can get the CPU for me for my B-day lol.

my 1000w enermax should last me at least another year or two and i've had it for more than a year. you buy a psu like you buy a case. once every 3 or 4 years. which is why i spend more money than is initially necessary.

for the record i like antec, enermax, and thermaltake. ocz/pcpc should be good also. i really recommend checking hardocp for psu reviews. i'm sure they've done one in the last 6 months that got a good review and will fit your price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227289

Better price, better cooling HS and about the same quality

I'd go with these too, I have the older 800 series but they serving me well slightly OC'ed. I never even sent my rebate in 4 gigs for 100 back then was dirt cheap. They look cool but it's just marketing glitz, I can't get decent overclocks with mine even at 2.2v but they still are cold.

Also - Has anybody had a bad experience with open box mobo's from newegg.. there is an open box p5q pro that would save me approx. $40 on this build

bump - anybody have good/bad experiences buying open box products, specifically mobos from newegg?

Looking at $130 vs $75 for an open box

Also - Has anybody had a bad experience with open box mobo's from newegg.. there is an open box p5q pro that would save me approx. $40 on this build

bump - anybody have good/bad experiences buying open box products, specifically mobos from newegg?

Looking at $130 vs $75 for an open box

"Step 1: you cut a hole in the box..."