upgrade

mohawk

I got an open box mobo and had no problem with it. Even came with all the cables and connectors it was supposed to.

cool dweez, thanks.

How powerful do you think my psu should be? Assuming I'll only be using it for this build (not a future one) and will probably push my gpu from a 7900 to an 8800gt or gtx or 260 in the near future.

600-650?

I got an open box mobo and had no problem with it. Even came with all the cables and connectors it was supposed to.

cool dweez, thanks.

How powerful do you think my psu should be? Assuming I'll only be using it for this build (not a future one) and will probably push my gpu from a 7900 to an 8800gt or gtx or 260 in the near future.

600-650?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp <--- PSU calculator

There is no reason why you couldn't run a e8500 and a GTX 260 with a 600w. Nvidia recommends 500w, so I figure 600w if you dont plan on upgrading any further in the next couple years. If your buying that tri-sli board, you might as well grab a 1000 watter for the future when the 260s are ~$125.

cool dweez, thanks.

600-650?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp <--- PSU calculator

There is no reason why you couldn't run a e8500 and a GTX 260 with a 600w. Nvidia recommends 500w, so I figure 600w if you dont plan on upgrading any further in the next couple years. If your buying that tri-sli board, you might as well grab a 1000 watter for the future when the 260s are ~$125.

good point... and with a 7900 it's not even close to 500 (what I have now).. looks like i'll stick with that for now and upgrade the PSU when I pick up a new card

(edited)

a word of warning. you do tend to get better quality at the higher rated psus. i would still stick with a 700w minimum. plus if you're stressing the psu you'll have the fan spinning up all the time.

Edited by Cujo

a word of warning. you do tend to get better quality at the higher rated psus. i would still stick with a 700w minimum. plus if you're stressing the psu you'll have the fan spinning up all the time.

I did a good short stress here in another post. http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=37925

Sure my system got loud, but it was the CPU cooler cranked to 100% and a little bit of the video cooler. When i checked out the video vent in the back I also checked out the PSU and it was only puffing air like it usually does under normal conditions, maybe a tad warmer but not much. Kidos for PSUs mounted in the bottom of cases, so much cooler down there.

On another note my last system had the same CPU but had a 8800gt and an antec 500w and never had any instability problems, and always run all my case fans in my antec 900 on low.

Pulled the trigger:

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

Going to see how these run with my Antec 500W and 7900GT.. I'll probably end up upgrading those componenets when I got to 1920x1200

THanks for the help

DNA
(edited)

I was also very impressed with the size, so many people had said it was fairly big, but it was the same size if not smaller then the Ultra 450w one it replaced. You will be very happy with the Corsair PSU IMO.

If you do want something a little more powerfull get the 750 version of this PSU, it has a great rating and the same power setup except it pushes 60A's on the single rail at 720watts, very nice....

Edited by DNA

(edited)

Finished my build last night with no hic ups.. I thought my sound was fubored for a while, but it turns out you need to actually plug your headset in before it works..

I started playing css a bit and my video card started over heating.. turned out to be a big dust ball in the gpu fan from blowing out my whole antec 900 case. I wouldn't buy that case again, and would trade it for a 300 straight up ( I get 70 miles a gallon on this hog)... way too much dust.

Haven't done any benchmarking yet, just played a bit of css..used to play with an amd x2 4400+ and 2 gigs of ram and would get avg 100 fps, 40-60 in a firefight with zero eye candy at 1650x1080.. now it's capped at 200 and doesn't drop below 150 with all settings high and 2x AA.. I don't think i'll have to upgrade my gpu from a 7900gt until i go 1900x1200..

anywho, thanks for all the hardware recommendations.. very happy with the choices so far.. enjoy your thursday

embed this please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyo7dEPvwU

Edited by mohawk