WOW! Every frakin weekend!

ZeroDamage

STeam is down and hosed again this weekend. You cannot play L4D without Friends. TF2 servers drop me because of my connection to the VAC servers does not exist. Why can this company NOT keep this from happening on a weekly basis? I foresee a class action in the near future unless Valve gets their poop together.

I haven't tried joining an L4D game without friends yet, but I am getting some problems I've never had before this weekend:

1. Joined a server for Versus where my ping went to over 1500. :twitch: I exited the game and checked the game info (a friend was still playing in there) from my friend's list. My ping would change within a range of 15-46 (which is normal for me) when I clicked on refresh several times. After about 5 seconds, hitting the refresh button did not refresh the game info; it would stop responding completely. Did this several times to make sure.

2. Completed Death Toll with some people Friday night. Got through credits, but after credits rolled, our team did not get sent back to a lobby. Instead, the screen just went black, and I could hear sounds of the boat and a Tank. Problem hasn't happened since, but this was the first time it did for me.

3. Played 2 campaigns Saturday night/ Sunday morning. Could not find a server where I had under 100 ping.

4. As of this writing (2:35AM CST), I cannot currently access Community or Store in Steam.

I don't know if this is related to what Zero is experiencing, or if it's just a fluke for me. :shrug03:

STeam is down and hosed again this weekend. You cannot play L4D without Friends. TF2 servers drop me because of my connection to the VAC servers does not exist. Why can this company NOT keep this from happening on a weekly basis? I foresee a class action in the near future unless Valve gets their poop together.

I'm concerned that perhaps they've cut back on support staff -- and that they are not a healthy business anymore. :(

Welp, that's what happens when games are free to play online. This is why Blizzard games such as WoW have so much support, when they have $15 or whatever a month coming in from every player, its easy to keep people on board running things.

agreed ... and helps keep things updated frequently.

boo... Steam is simply an interface that allows me to connect to a server. WoW and other MMO's charge you per month to connect to their server. This money keeps the server up and pays developers to fix bugs and provide updates.

(edited)

I never fully understood the need for steam. Launching the stand alone game and finding servers through it always worked for me... But forcing you to run your games through their software, which then has to be connected to the internet is a bit ridiculous. If their servers are down, you can't play a game that you bought to be able to play whenever you wanted.

I understand they wanted Steam to be able to have the game store and for ease of updating, and the ability to download your games to whatever computer you are using is nice. But I like the old fashioned stand alone games better.

Edited by General J

I never fully understood the need for steam. Launching the stand alone game and finding servers through it always worked for me... But forcing you to run your games through their software, which then has to be connected to the internet is a bit ridiculous. If their servers are down, you can't play a game that you bought to be able to play whenever you wanted.

I understand they wanted Steam to be able to have the game store and for ease of updating, and the ability to download your games to whatever computer you are using is nice. But I like the old fashioned stand alone games better.

Instead of installing a game with its rootkit like DRM, you run it from Steam instead. It is an alternative and from a business perspective, it is profitable for Valve. They get a cut of each game sold, and the game makers/publishers can save money by not having to make so many physical media.

It it one easy step to set your Steam account to be available when "offline". Just because you never found it (or thought to google it) doesn't mean it's Steam's fault.

I love the idea of Steam. Now I don't have to worry about having the original media if I want to re-install, not to mention digging up my original box/cd case so I could find the product key. It's all saved on Steam's side of things. Also, when I bought the Orange Box, I had already owned a couple of the games it came with. Instead of having to take the hit, Steam let's me "gift" them to others (I sold it to a friend cheap and just transferred it via a "gift" to them through Steam).