fogging headlights

Fairweather

i was wondering if anybody knew of a good polish or product that works well to take the "fogging" out of headlight covers?

at first i was just gonna replace them but I cant find headlights on the net for under 200$ a piece and the ones on ebay are those black or chrome flashy types that just look stupid when put on a stock family car

i drive an intrepid and it just makes the car look old and junky so i'm pretty much sick of it and need to do somethin about it before i go nuttzzzzzz

Those headlights are plastic, right? Start off with a product like Meguiar's Plast-X, see if that helps. You may have to put some elbow grease into it.

If that doesn't work, that means the fogging was caused by leaks in the headlight assembly seal. Water/condensation get in, evaporate, leaving mineral deposits behind. If you're a DIY kind of person, here's a way to clean it:

1. Take the headlight assembly out of the car (varies based on mfg)

2. Put 1 headlight assembly in the oven on its lowest temperature for 1-2 min (yes, really)*

3. Take the assembly out, start prying it open for 10-15 seconds.

If you can't open it fully, repeat steps 2 and 3 until you can.

4. Clean the inside with Meguiar's Plast-X until it's suitably clean.

5. You can repeat steps 2 and 3 to press the assembly back together again.

You may need to remove the seal + reapply some kind of weatherproofing seal, so this doesn't happen again. If you don't seal it properly, you'll just have the same problem again.

* I did this with an older car - Lady unclean gave me the most hilarious look when she saw me stick the headlights in the oven. The headlight assembly wasn't fogging, but I wanted to "clear it" - aka take out the amber plastic. Just be careful not to touch metal directly, I burned the crap out of my finger that way. If you touch plastic only, or use gloves, you'll be fine.

I had a buddy that lapped his headlight covers like what one would do lapping a heatsink.

Seems the yellowing is the plastic breaking down due to the UV rays of the sun? You just have to remove it.

The sandpaper technique can be found on the net, this will give you a guide to which grades of sandpaper you will use. And we're not talking 120 grit here. :)

Unclean's oven technique may be easier.

(edited)

step 1) remove headlights

step 2) remove H2O. You could either put them in your oven for a little bit or some other way to turn that water into vapor.

step 3) place headlights back

I was told that the yellowing is from water being trapped in there over time, not from sun rays. However, if you don't remove the water soon enough the yellowing may not come out so easily if ever.

edit* oops, Unclean already said that.

Edited by YoMamma

lol yesterday i tried just the polish, that worked alllrigghtt but not as good as i wanted, so i happened to walk by a headlight renewal kit in canadian tire that contained the sand paper required and everything and was like alright i'll give it a try.. sssooo anywho this sanding method involved about 4 hours of my time and i'm pretty sure it only made the headlights worse LOL CRAP guess i'll try the oven method

Plastics + sun exposure + salt (Ontario right?) + time (Intrepid = how many years old?) = gonna have some stuff happen.

Might want to try a junk yard for some cheap options (depending upon where / how stored)

The front bumper on 1st gen Nissan Xterras are a plastic of the type that just discolors as the years go by - most folks just sand, prime, and paint them, or try using various plastic restorers (randomly successful that)

-Fk

Pros use a machine buffer, if you have access to one, use a slower speed, a fine grit compound, a foam pad, and KEEP THE PAD DAMP, this is key to not melting your lens, keep a spray bottle close and mist the light and the pad when it looks like you are starting to buff dry.

Oh yea..remember that we have a Cars forum towards the bottom :)

I'll move this there tomorrow if it hasnt already been done.

Pros use a machine buffer, if you have access to one, use a slower speed, a fine grit compound, a foam pad, and KEEP THE PAD DAMP, this is key to not melting your lens, keep a spray bottle close and mist the light and the pad when it looks like you are starting to buff dry.

I agree with Clueless - if you've already started the sandpaper method, you might want to finish that first. Definitely use a buffer of some kind. If you've never done it before, get a friend that has. If you see yellowish water dropping down, you're doing the right thing - continue that until it's clear or white water.

What's the latest on this?

i took them out and put them in the oven for a few minutes but couldnt pry them apart the sealant that was still there was too strong so got all the moisture out that was possible and re-sealed the headlights with a clear silicon sealant and polished them about 300 times.. think its about as good as its gonna get, better than it was tho, should make driving across the country a little safer anyway with the extra visibility

thanks for the tips guys

• 3 weeks later...

One more tip. Your dishwasher. (I'm not joking)

Most expensive dishwasher detergents have a "streak free", anti-fog design. If your headlights can let a lot of water inside, then do that. I did it for my buick and it worked. Just wait a day or two before putting them back into your car.

This is obviously a temporary fix, and it doesn't do anything for yellow headlights. Just foggy ones.

I got the idea from watching Wheeler Dealers