Pre-order Windows 7 for $50 starts tomorrow

bushwack

FYI supposedly it's first come first serve so when they run out of pre-orders they will go back to full price -or- it lasts until July 11th, as far as most sites show.

http://gizmodo.com/5302371/windows-7-prici...ood-news-mostly

So do I upgrade to Professional or Ultimate? I'm still really bitter they announced dropping Vista barely a few months after I got it with my laptop and offer no upgrade and no support.

BTW, this is an UPGRADE copy of Win7, not a FULL copy of Win7. I would pre-order it otherwise...

is this not a good deal for the upgrade? I been using an upgrade edition of XP through the years and with several mobo and HDD changes and even a complete new system. Will there be a problem with doing the same thing with Win7?

(edited)

haha i was about to post this up too but beat me to it, yea imma def. pick me up one of these tomorrow

one question tho, when I upgrade from vista 64x to win7, will I lose any of my files /programs?

Edited by Sedah

still using XP at the office and at home.. Will I be that guy who's still using Windows 95 in 2001? Nah.. Major advancements in OS's have slowed down quite a bit.

(edited)
It most likely will require you to enter the copy of vista into the PC during install.
dang no upgrade for me. i sold all my vista licenses already.

You can upgrade from XP.

I like XP, thing is time for it is running out and soon it wont be supported. Seems like a good time to change over instead of waiting for a few years and doing it anyway. At $50 seems like a steal, I spent just as much on video games that I've only played for a day. I Figure I'll be using Win7 for the next 6-7 years.

I just ordered a copy from newegg, free shipping and no tax as opposed to paying tax from bestbuy. Seems all stores offer shipping only.

Edited by bushwack

It most likely will require you to enter the copy of vista into the PC during install.
dang no upgrade for me. i sold all my vista licenses already.

You can upgrade from XP.

I like XP, thing is time for it is running out and soon it wont be supported. Seems like a good time to change over instead of waiting for a few years and doing it anyway. At $50 seems like a steal, I spent just as much on video games that I've only played for a day. I Figure I'll be using Win7 for the next 6-7 years.

I just ordered a copy from newegg, free shipping and no tax as opposed to paying tax from bestbuy. Seems all stores offer shipping only.

yea think its all free shipping, got mine from amazon last night.

FYI supposedly it's first come first serve so when they run out of pre-orders they will go back to full price -or- it lasts until July 11th, as far as most sites show.

So do I upgrade to Professional or Ultimate? I'm still really bitter they announced dropping Vista barely a few months after I got it with my laptop and offer no upgrade and no support.

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=167444&...1&zoomIdx=1

This might help. :shrug03:

Quick/possibly dumb question: So if I buy the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit on my computer), would you guys recommend a clean install? Or do you think the upgrade option should be okay? I haven't had a lot of experience with OS's, so I don't know which, if any, method is the better one or has less chance of technical problems in the future.

I might buy this because it's really cheap, but I might wait a bit before installing it. You guys make it sound really good, but I just bought Vista a couple months ago. :unsure:

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=167444&...1&zoomIdx=1

This might help. :shrug03:

Quick/possibly dumb question: So if I buy the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit on my computer), would you guys recommend a clean install? Or do you think the upgrade option should be okay? I haven't had a lot of experience with OS's, so I don't know which, if any, method is the better one or has less chance of technical problems in the future.

I might buy this because it's really cheap, but I might wait a bit before installing it. You guys make it sound really good, but I just bought Vista a couple months ago. :unsure:

im in the same boat as you monk, i just bought my vista 64x 2months ago actually haha, and ya imma hold on to this for awhile. might as well buy it now while its 50% off than wait later on.

First off, I never had any issues with Vista and I have found the more vocal of anti-vista folks are still using XP or some flavor of mac or linux for their day to day so I disregard their opinions anyway. Second it is always better to have a nice clean install and the newer "upgrade" versions usually have allowed you to simply enter the cd/DVD of your old OS into the drive during a clean install to verify you are upgrading.

On the other hand I have noticed some real life performance boosts and I also like many of the new features of Windows 7. Honestly there is no hurry to upgrade, so unless your plan is to upgrade anyway I would say enjoy what you have until you "need" to upgrade. I never upgrade until there is a feature or program that I can't use with my current system. I wanted to utilize DX10 and play some vista only games, so I upgraded. The only reason I am using W7 now is because it's a free RC client that is fun to mess with.

I'd pick amazon for their free super saver shipping, unless they offer digital download?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DHLUWK - Home Premium

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DHGM50 - Pro

Upgrade to Windows 7

All editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista qualify you to upgrade.

1. Choose your edition of Windows 7

Explore key features and choose the edition that's best for you. Be sure to check the expanded list of extended features in Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate. System requirements vary for each edition of Windows 7 because some features might require special hardware.

2. See if your PC has what it takes to run Windows 7

In general, if your PC can run Windows Vista it can run Windows 7. To make sure, download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to do a quick check. If you want certain features, such as HomeGroup or Windows Media Center, check to see if your PC has the hardware that's needed.

3. Check which operating system your PC is currently running

How you make the move to Windows 7 depends on your current operating system.

* Windows Vista

The transition to Windows 7 should be pretty smooth, although you may need to update your system to the latest service pack first.

* Windows XP (or any other operating system)

We recommend that you experience Windows 7 on a new PC. While we don't recommend it, you can opt to upgrade your current PC from Windows XP or another operating system to Windows 7. We recommend that you get help with this process from your local computer service provider. You'll need to back up your current files and settings, perform a custom (clean) installation, and then reinstall your files, settings, and programs.

First off, I never had any issues with Vista and I have found the more vocal of anti-vista folks are still using XP or some flavor of mac or linux for their day to day so I disregard their opinions anyway.

so basically, you disregard anyone's opinion that doesn't agree with yours? :shrug03:

(edited)

Not at all, I do disregard uninformed opinions from people who don't use the product though; especially the people who say they tried it for a week or something, way back before SP1 was released. Then there are those who "know someone" who has had issues. I call them dumb and whack them in the shins Tonya Harding style.

Edited by Preacher