Mac is a Cancer

Shropshire Slasher

I just now ordered a new computer for the family. It will be, apart from a few stocking stuffers, the family Christmas gift this year.

I chose the new iMac. 27", 2.8GHz i7, 1TB, 4GB, ATI 4850.

I'm excited. Hopefully the kids will enjoy it. They will for sure get lots of use out of it.

I'll likely Bootcamp it with Windows 7 for games and certain work related software, though I intend to run OS X as the primary OS.

For the family computer, I've been considering an All-in-One from various makers for some time. Never found one that I liked. These new iMacs swayed me.

Can update after it arrives, if anyone is interested.

SS/CEM

Just got my shipping notification from Apple. My iMac is or is soon to be on a boat ride from Shanghai.

I'm pretty geeked. Just need to lay hands on a copy of Win7.

BTW, I'm surprised this didn't spark any Mac/PC commentary! I expected a few comments about what a mistake I'm making. Of the two ppl I've told IRL about this purchase, 50% have been critical. The negative commenter even said I'd be hindering my children in their future workplace by not having them use Windows.

Heh.

Oh, and the joke about mac being a cancer: I bought an iPhone last year. Now the iMac. And next year, I hope to replace my soon to be 4 year old laptop with a 17" macbook pro. I'm just waiting to see if Arrandale hits the MBP line in the spring.

I've been waiting for the new iMac and it's soon to be had bootcamp with win7 to buy some new games (l4d2 and a couple of others). Should make Christmas break fun.

Cheers,

CEM/SS

Nice screen. I don't really see any difference between it and a regular PC, especially if its running windows 7. You'll like the big screen. I've had my trusty 28" for about a year and a half now. Really wish I had a 32" or a 37" though..

It's here.

In fact, I'm typing on it now.

First impressions:

It's HUGE! Holy crap is it ever. Until I get it VESA mounted it sits quite a bit forward on the desk. Which makes it look absurdly large. Once it is wall mounted it won't a problem.

It looks great. duh.

Not sure if I like the bluetooth keyboard. The spacing is a bit odd. I'll give it some time. I ordered the full size keyboard too, so I can switch if needed

I'm gonna go get a copy of Win7 and setup bootcamp this evening. I'll put steam on and try out some CS:S later to see how the gaming end of it works out.

CEM/SS

More Thoughts

Concern 1: It runs hot. In OSX desktop usage, not so much. In Win7 playing Dragon Age, it gets quite toasty. The aluminum chassis is warm. I have a concern that when I VESA mount it, it will be tucked a bit tightly over a desk and under a cabinet. Since the air flow is from bottom to top, it could be an issue. Will have to consider... Must utilize my physics powers...

Concern 2 (alleviated). I was worried that the ATI 4870 may prove to be underpowered. I would have liked a 5 series option, personally. But, again, this isn't a 1337 gaming rig, it's the kid's school work/cooking mama rig, with a little gaming on the side. However, I'm running CS:S at the full (absurd) resolution of the monitor with high settings and it pulls 100 fps. I setup Dragon Age (more modern game) at full resolution, and it plays very smooth. No benching done ATM.

I know Apple isn't for everyone. But all PC/Mac stuff aside, if you ever are in the need for an all-in-one, I can definitely say you should consider this machine.

How hard is it to setup Win7 with bootcamp? And what all do you need. I've been thinking of doing this on my macbook.

Not hard.

Right now, Win7 isn't officially supported. Some of us have a video issue during the Win7 install. Right after it reboots and attempts to enter the part of install where you enter your key/etc. There is a workaround using the windows install console, which is a bit of a pain, but not insurmountable.

Also, a couple of devices (sound/bluetooth) aren't 100% there. They seem to work intermittantly on my machine.

But, if you have ever built your own machine and installed windows, it aint no thing.

CEM

P.S. And to answer your question fully: you only need your OSX install disk and a windows install disk.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving all.

Edited by Shropshire Slasher

Sounds legit. I've always been a PC person myself but I think everyone's rave reviews about macs could sway my decision... for a laptop at least. Keepin my desktop the same.

Congrats. and jeez that screen is huge! i got a 19! lol... when I upgrade I'm going for a 26... should be an adventure.

How hard is it to setup Win7 with bootcamp? And what all do you need. I've been thinking of doing this on my macbook.

I have Windows7 Ultimate on my MacBook Pro. No probs.

From your Mac, go to the spotlight (top right) and type "boot camp assistant." you can create a partition from there without losing any data, and it's pretty well guided.