Homowner

anonymo

So I have been pretty MIA for the past few months, mostly due to the fact I have just purchased my first home.

It's in Toronto, in Scarborough to be technical. I close on Friday! I'm ridiculously excited as I've never owned my own property before.

I'll get some pics up eventually (the listing has been taken down unfortunately). I can describe it a bit thought. Solid brick bungalow, quiet neighbourhood in Toronto's East end. 40'x125' lot, house is about 850 sqft (main floor) 3 bedroom, 2 bath, hardwood throughout. Big back yard, detached garage with a gas fireplace in the basement (basement is finished). House was built by GM in the 50's to house the workers for the near by (now gone) truck plant. It's about two or three blocks from a large wooded park and about 5 or 6 city blocks from a large shopping plaza (where they will be building a transit station for a new rail line in the next decade).

Front Door (inside)

img1878i.jpg

Upstairs Living Room

img1879q.jpg

img1880.jpg

Upstairs Dining Room (from living room)

img1881v.jpg

img1882s.jpg

Upstairs "hallway" looking into the bedrooms

img1883.jpg

Master bedroom (little dingy)

img1884b.jpg

Carpets need...burning...they're clean now though

img1885j.jpg

2nd bedroom, less carpet mess, more wallpaper mess

img1887m.jpg

Upstairs bathroom (note the "Im-too-wasted-to-stand-but-I-need-a-shower" handle

img1889.jpg

Stairs to the ...basement

img1890s.jpg

img1891t.jpg

What will eventually become my studio

img1892s.jpg

img1893t.jpg

Downstairs bathroom

img1896x.jpg

Downstairs "hallway"

img1899i.jpg

Downstairs rec room (ie manpalace) Im standing in the middle of the room

img1903q.jpg

Kitchen, full of necessities.

img1905.jpg

Me and my boys breaking this pad in!

douche_bag.jpg

With a little work it should be. The house is still in the original floorplan from when it was built, so the kitchen is small and separated from the living room/dining room. I plan to eventually knock the wall down but that will come much later...

I should have pics up after this weekend...this week is dragging on and on and on...

Sounds great, congrats again!

Welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership!

I just received the wonderful gift of my first "real" property tax bill (my home hadn't been appraised since I bought it new 2 years ago, they finally got around to it). Went from $3/year to $1000/year. OSSUM. :freak3:

Congrats Mo!

Feel free to ask repair/rebuilding questions here. Between Bub, Clue, me, fx, etc., you can usually find an answer to your problem.

Oh I will, don't worry!

And boiler...that's nothing compared to my $2400/year property taxes :(

I really should do the math on how much it would cost to fire myself from a rocket located somewhere in Mich/Ohio to work in Toronto every day...I bet it's cheaper!

I hear Detroit is lovely this time of year...

Actually this is why I mentioned Mich as a fair chunk of my family lives in and around Howell (close to Flint) and I've seen what they paid for their land and buildings and it makes me cry...hell weren't they selling that abandoned US military base for like $100,000? I'll take 3.

I hear Detroit is lovely this time of year...

Actually this is why I mentioned Mich as a fair chunk of my family lives in and around Howell (close to Flint) and I've seen what they paid for their land and buildings and it makes me cry...hell weren't they selling that abandoned US military base for like $100,000? I'll take 3.

I still has a sad that no one scooped that up and made it into a GC bunker.

Don't want to derail this any further, as buying your first home is a great thing no matter where it is/how much you spent!

(ok, last side track, how far driving-wise is Toronto from eastern Meeeeechigan?)

(ok, last side track, how far driving-wise is Toronto from eastern Meeeeechigan?)

Takes me about 3-3.5 hours to get to Sarnia/Port Huron. About 4 to get to Windsor/Detroit. Then calculate 50 hours at the border...

congrats mo! i havnt been around either for the same reason. that and i just got married in september! my internet sucks and i have no real need to try and upgrade right now so it might be a little longer till i get on any server :)..

hope all is well with everyone!

i just got married in september!

DUBYA TEE EFF BREW

You mean we had a viable excuse to hire strippers and you stole it from us!?

Stutters will be so upset. He likes to lick the pole after.

wait, who said you needed a "viable" reason to hire strippers???

HAVE I BEEN "DOIN IT WRONG" THIS WHOLE TIME?????

(house looks great btw, need to see "after" pics of the man cave)

Your spoiler just seared images into my brain that can never be cut out. Jerk.

Edited by boiler

Just checked back in here and checked out the pics, yes..unfortunately, even the contribution from stutters...*shivers*, The house looks great man, I like your front door, but even more, I love the door going in to the living room, very unique glass...I love that kind of stuff, especially when you can't find things like that very easily anymore.

Hope you're enjoying it!

*edited due to dumb grammar*

Congrats Mo!

Feel free to ask repair/rebuilding questions here. Between Bub, Clue, me, fx, etc., you can usually find an answer to your problem.

Oh I will, don't worry!

And boiler...that's nothing compared to my $2400/year property taxes :(

I really should do the math on how much it would cost to fire myself from a rocket located somewhere in Mich/Ohio to work in Toronto every day...I bet it's cheaper!

My first place was more of a headache than it was enjoyable, but I think one of the main reasons was it was a townhouse and it felt just like an apartment to me. I do dig the house though, especially the basement.. thats all I need is a basement.

Have you considered cleaning your floors with something other than white socks?

I'm waiting to meet the right girl.

My first place was more of a headache than it was enjoyable, but I think one of the main reasons was it was a townhouse and it felt just like an apartment to me. I do dig the house though, especially the basement.. thats all I need is a basement.

That's one thing that always got me about many homes I've visit in the US, no basements. I assume it's a water table (?) thing?