New Headset

ZeroDamage

So my Turtle Beach 5.1 headset died last week. The enclosure on the left ear that kept the earpiece and microphone attached exploded when I went to put it on. This was Friday night before a 3-day weekend for me and I had the house to myself the whole weekend. I wasn't happy about that knowing that anything I ordered online would not arrive until the following week sometime. So I did what I normally would not do and went to Best Buy to see what they had. They had a bunch of over priced Sony junk for headphones. They had a very expensive Logitech Gaming headset (USB) with 7.1 surround and some Bose (that in hindsight are no better than what I bought) for $300. At this point, I just wanted something decent but not over priced and I wasn't having any luck. I then came across a sale bin filled with Sennheiser HD 428 S headphones. I'd never owned a Sennheiser and after holding this thing in my hands when I got home, I understand why. They feel so light and fragile, almost like they could explode if I stared at them too long. I had a $35 gift card and a $10 money card from them so I used those and purchased the headphones. I decided to then go by Walmart and grab a cheap desktop microphone to hold me over until I found something worthwhile online later. I really did not have the money to buy the headphones but I couldn't very well play L4D2 or MW2 with the speakers. May as well call in the SWAT team in advance.

Anyway, I purchased them (they can be seen online here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Around-the-Ear+Headphones+-+Black/Metallic+Chrome/9417295.p?id=1218102966969&skuId=9417295&st=sennheiser%20hd%20428&cp=1&lp=1), went home, and hooked them up. I changed the settings in the Creative control panel to headphones instead of 5.1. A buddy of mine immediately linked me to a DubStep video on Youtube so I loaded it up and HOLY CRAP! These headphones sound amazing! The best Bass and high ranges of any headphones I've ever used. I can even hear footsteps when I should not be able to in Modern Warfare 2 when someone is using the Ninja Pro perk. I could never hear that before. Simple grass being moved as someone sneaks through them easily heard on these things. Nevermind the bass-y explosions. I can actually hear stuff above and behind me and the Turtle Beach 5.1 headset just did not give this quality of sound. It's crazy that headphones can work better at games than a gaming headset. This is the Dubstep youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVuZWfWUb1c If you have headphones or a headset on and are not getting the highs along with the insane bass, then your stuff sucks whether it be the headset or the sound card. I did not know what I was missing until now.

(I recommend you use Firefox with the Greasemonkey addon which allows you to use user created scripts to improve websites like Youtube. My favorites are Youtube Enhancer and Youtube HD Ultimate. Such a huge improvement over the standard Youtube site.)

So my story concludes with this: I will never buy a gaming headset again. I will stick to high quality headphones. Surround sound headphones are not that useful; I've owned 2 now and both have been adequate but nothing compared to the Sennheiser that I have now. And the sad thing is that the Sennheiser I have are probably not the best model available.

So my Turtle Beach 5.1 headset died last week. The enclosure on the left ear that kept the earpiece and microphone attached exploded when I went to put it on. This was Friday night before a 3-day weekend for me and I had the house to myself the whole weekend. I wasn't happy about that knowing that anything I ordered online would not arrive until the following week sometime. So I did what I normally would not do and went to Best Buy to see what they had. They had a bunch of over priced Sony junk for headphones. They had a very expensive Logitech Gaming headset (USB) with 7.1 surround and some Bose (that in hindsight are no better than what I bought) for $300. At this point, I just wanted something decent but not over priced and I wasn't having any luck. I then came across a sale bin filled with Sennheiser HD 428 S headphones. I'd never owned a Sennheiser and after holding this thing in my hands when I got home, I understand why. They feel so light and fragile, almost like they could explode if I stared at them too long. I had a $35 gift card and a $10 money card from them so I used those and purchased the headphones. I decided to then go by Walmart and grab a cheap desktop microphone to hold me over until I found something worthwhile online later. I really did not have the money to buy the headphones but I couldn't very well play L4D2 or MW2 with the speakers. May as well call in the SWAT team in advance.

Anyway, I purchased them (they can be seen online here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Around-the-Ear+Headphones+-+Black/Metallic+Chrome/9417295.p?id=1218102966969&skuId=9417295&st=sennheiser%20hd%20428&cp=1&lp=1), went home, and hooked them up. I changed the settings in the Creative control panel to headphones instead of 5.1. A buddy of mine immediately linked me to a DubStep video on Youtube so I loaded it up and HOLY CRAP! These headphones sound amazing! The best Bass and high ranges of any headphones I've ever used. I can even hear footsteps when I should not be able to in Modern Warfare 2 when someone is using the Ninja Pro perk. I could never hear that before. Simple grass being moved as someone sneaks through them easily heard on these things. Nevermind the bass-y explosions. I can actually hear stuff above and behind me and the Turtle Beach 5.1 headset just did not give this quality of sound. It's crazy that headphones can work better at games than a gaming headset. This is the Dubstep youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVuZWfWUb1c If you have headphones or a headset on and are not getting the highs along with the insane bass, then your stuff sucks whether it be the headset or the sound card. I did not know what I was missing until now.

(I recommend you use Firefox with the Greasemonkey addon which allows you to use user created scripts to improve websites like Youtube. My favorites are Youtube Enhancer and Youtube HD Ultimate. Such a huge improvement over the standard Youtube site.)

So my story concludes with this: I will never buy a gaming headset again. I will stick to high quality headphones. Surround sound headphones are not that useful; I've owned 2 now and both have been adequate but nothing compared to the Sennheiser that I have now. And the sad thing is that the Sennheiser I have are probably not the best model available.

Dude Sennheiser's rock, 5 years ago I picked up PC 151's and was blown away. Went through 2 pairs (kept messing up the plugs) and decided I would go with the HD 280 pro. With that I use a clip on mic that I attach to the cord. Absolutely an awesome set up imo.

I have an old pair of Sennheiser something-or-others, and the mic stopped working 2 months in. The attached mic stick seems flimsy as all getout, but the rest of the housing is solid. The sound is still awesome though, so I don't want to get rid of them.

(sorry about all the technical terms)

PC151's here too...had 'em for, I dunno, 3 or 4 years? They work great, they were even better when I had a good soundcard, they are no better than anything else when using onboard sound. I have the USB integrated soundcard thingy that came with it, and it's not bad, but sometimes caused crashes, so I don't use it.

add me on steam (srfisher) nick mo so that we can get some MW2 games in!

I've added you. My name is long with a lot of color symbols and what not so you should recognize me when you see my friend invite. I tend to play Hardcore only and usually S&D which is the CS bomb/defuse style. Hit me up and we can game it up with my mw2 team.

I've added you. My name is long with a lot of color symbols and what not so you should recognize me when you see my friend invite. I tend to play Hardcore only and usually S&D which is the CS bomb/defuse style. Hit me up and we can game it up with my mw2 team.

Mo, Blitz and myself mainly play nothing but Hardcore HQ pro

Hardcore is 10x better than the regular Mw2

funny - i remember you whining about not having your radar at all times..

I've uninstalled all of the other game versions.. I enjoy hardcore HQ the most by, every now and then I'll play team deathmatch and usually won't even finish the game. I'd be up for trying some hardcore S&D.

Edited by mohawk

Hardcore is the only way to play MW2 IMO. I tend to play Hardcore HQ when no one else on my clan/team is online to play. They all like S&D and I've grown to like it quite a bit.

Edited by ZeroDamage