PHYZER23

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the GC server was what kept me playing CS 1.6 at the beginning. I wasn't a member for a long time after source even came out, but i couldn't believe that there was a server that actually enforced rules like no swearing, playing nice, and being a decent person or you got the boot. I liked it because i hated egotistical jerks who just cuss at you and make fun of you when u do bad.

I started way back in the day. Around 1.2 or 1.3. :smiling2: I miss those days.

Back in the day was when CS was still considered Beta. Back in the day is 1999/2000 when Beta 3 was the version to play. Anyone remember getting the notification that you were hitting kevlar when you shot someone?

The anticipation and waiting for an update to cs beta back in the day was as intense back then as waiting for Apple to give us Copy and Paste in the iPhone today.

Might take a few minutes for this to load up but I remember the look of the site back then: http://web.archive.org/web/20010119170200/http://counter-strike.net/

Heh, I first started in 1.3. A friend gave me the server IP to the old CsLs clan and since that was the only server I knew of at the time (literally the only other online game I ever played was Diablo so I knew nothing about online gaming) so I just played there all the time even if it was empty.

Then I was invited into CsLs, told to come here, and...yeah.

Started playing on the LuckyCharms server, then found out about Mmmm. Those were the days... I remember seeing a write up in Gamepro magazine about a game called counter-strike that was the craziest new concept in gaming. Rushed out and bought Half-Life and downloaded CS before I ever even played HL. The retail release ruined it for me for a while. The entire game seemed to change with that one. It may have had more people playing it, but pre retail betas were where it was at. Anyone remember the bunny hop?