Android...

OK, so my BlackBerry died...it made me sad, but the screen started registering every tap rather incorrectly, which is a problem on a full-touch-screen phone. My initial thought was to go to the Storm 2 (I had a Storm), as it is a pretty slick phone, and I know people that have it.

Then I started reading up on the Motorola Droid and the HTC Incredible...and well, now I have a Droid.

I went with the Droid because I needed a phone NOW (as mine was somewhat unusable) and it is running vanilla Android 2.1. HTC uses the Sense interface, which is basically a ROM they wrote themselves. So the Incredible has a better processor, but the Sense UI uses up more resources and gets updates slowly. All-in-all, I'm happy with the Droid.

Also, it's more than fast enough to play Chrono Trigger through an SNES emulator without any slow-down...and that's a definite bonus!

Anyway, just thought I'd post up and say that, since Android 2.1, these phones are really awesome. The OS just wasn't there yet in previous iterations, but it is now. 2.2 is suppose to be a HUGE improvement and will be launching this month. I can't wait! Also, if the providers can't figure out how to block it, I get free tethering built in! (otherwise I'd have to get free tethering via a work-around). :peace:

i still don't think android is there, but at least the 1ghz snapdragon processors allow the hardware a better chance of keeping up. even most of the die hard android fanboys are quick to admit the older devices have horrible screen lag when you're typing -- especially if you're used to typing at blackberry speeds.

and to be fair, i'm pretty seriously looking at sprint's htc evo. at&t has made noticeable improvements around here, but i'd be pretty stoked to get a 4g/3g phone...especially with a front facing camera for video conference calls. it'd make dialing in from wrigely a whole helluva lot easier :D

what did you end up with, the droid or incredible?

I have been drooling over the Incredible since I read the first reviews... too bad I've only had my Storm for about a year. I still love my phone, but I definitely would consider going to Android for my next one next year.

I'm waiting for some version of the incredible class phone to hit tmobile...rumor is that the Desire may be the one....same phone guts, slightly different trim.

Can't wait to see how the market shakes out if 2.2 is half as good as they say it is....should be interesting.

2.2 should have Flash or at least that is what Google is saying. Also, the way that Java apps are run on 2.2 will also be more native with the hardware meaning much better performance. I kind of wish I stuck with the 2.0.x version of the OS along with the rooted ROM because it was a bit snappier. Let me know if you want some recommendations on apps.

I have a Droid (Motorola) and personally, I notice no discernible lag when typing. That being said, I make sure to keep excess apps closed with task killer. I suppose if you had 15 or 20 apps open you'd have some problems. I know there is some serious lag on 2.0, but I'm running 2.1 on the Droid, and I'm very impressed.

The HTC Incredible also uses 2.1. I've also learned that, through custom roms, a lot of people run their Moto Droids at 800 mhz or even 1 ghz (but that's a battery hog). That means you can overclock your Android phone...it's not even that hard to do. :luxhello:

I'm a huge fan thus far.

(for the record, I'm coming from BlackBerry, and am a pretty fast on-screen typist) :peace: