I need a math nerd

Fatty

Solve this math problem.

(cause it actually happened and I was like wow).

22 students in the class total, each has a name in a hat. 1 student is absent, and 3 are in a different classroom at the moment. I need to draw one name for a game. I draw 1, and it is one of the people that aren't here. Ok, I get that, the chances of doing that are 4/22, or ~ 18%. So I set that name aside and then procede to draw two more names...both of which are not in the room either.

I could tell you the odds of doing this individually, but want someone to tell me the odds of doing it consecutively, while removing the previously drawn name from the lot.

So, in review, I drew 3 names in a row, which were 3 of the 4 that were not in the room, out of 22 total. I told the kids the odds of that were highly unlikely...I just would love to see if you can calculate just how unlikely it really was...

Thanks! (Yes, show your work!)

The math is simple. You should ask for a stats nerd. Even with that low sample size, I'd say the answer lies along the lines of the deck of cards example always used in the classroom. Assuming you had started from a perfectly shuffled deck of course.

*Lousy wins using the Rule of Multiplication.

GC Founder

Heh, gj lousiest! Yea, it comes out to 0.259%. Crazy....which is why I stood there looking at my 5th graders telling them they have no idea how incredibly unlikely that was.

It's not like pocket aces, which are 1/200...you just play 200 hands and you'll see it. To do this in one shot was sick. I guess on those odds, I could expect that to happen if I tried at least 386 times?