crasλ

crasx

GC Alumni
(edited)

Hey Everyone,

I am crasλ a relatively new left for dead player that is interested in joining gc. I am wondering if there is a way to skip the 1 month wait period because a) the server needs more admins and b ) I am pretty broke.

I have been talking to jackiechan lately about his mod development and am really hoping to help him make improvements to the gc server.

I use to manage a clan in haloce and run 10+ public servers for the game. I also developed my own software to help run the halo servers and extend functionality. I know what it takes to be an admin (and what it costs to run a server) so I would love to help out as much as I can because I appreciate the work you do. I also take much offense to homophobic, gender bashing and racist language. I am an avid supporter of lgbtq rights and often find myself as their "voice" in a community.

A little background about me:

I attend University of Illinois at Chicago, perusing a computer science degree with a gender studies minor.

will be 20 as of may 9, also born with mild cerebral palsy so I'm not all that great of a player.

Check out some of my projects at http://crasxit.net and let me know if I can join asap!

Edited by crasx

You are always welcome to join as a member anytime. The month wait period is for admin, and usually is only waived in a dire need/we've gotten to know you pretty well for a while. We are definitely a clean run community and the only problem with the l4d2 game is the inability to see people who talk all the time, which is much better in games like CS:S. Therefore enforcing language is a lot harder. Thanks for enjoying the server and the community here, i hope to play with u again soon!

I attend University of Illinois at Chicago, perusing a computer science degree with a gender studies minor.

hi from chicago!

there's a few of us around the city but we don't get together as much as we should. let me know if you're ever in the mood for an internship -- it'd be interesting to see what we could work out.

the month waiting period for admins is a general rule. rules are meant to be broken, but we don't like to encourage people to pay to be an admin without becoming part of the community. join as a member, play often, be friendly and social, and then apply to be an admin.

GC Alumni

On second thought I don't think I want to join

I have played on your l4d2 server multiple times this week only to see the score at 300 to 3000 with multiple admins yet nobody votescrambles and any votes are shot down.

I am not sure what your policy is on this but I am looking for a fair, equal community.

This is not the type of team I want to play with and as much as I love the score system I have no problem living without it.

Let me know if this changes, otherwise good luck.

@stutters I will check that out

I have played on your l4d2 server multiple times this week only to see the score at 300 to 3000 with multiple admins yet nobody votescrambles and any votes are shot down.

I am not sure what your policy is on this but I am looking for a fair, equal community.

rage quit? you can be part of the solution or part of the problem, but that's up to you. if you want to do the latter, you're probably not a good fit for the community.

oh crasλ, we hardly knew ye.

GC Alumni

Yes exactly.

I am not sure what your policy is on unfair game play while admins are in a server, but it seems like you don't really care about equal gaming and that's not what I want in a community. You are suppose to make sure admins are taking care of servers, not just take their money and let them run wild with power.

Sure I could join and be different but whats the point if the people on top don't seem to care about server quality

GC Alumni
(edited)

If you don't want to play on our server(s), you shouldn't; it's a game, and you should do what you want. I hope that we always run a server in a way that people who want to play a certain game will want to play on that server, but even if we're doing that successfully, people will have different ideas of how a game should be played.

I would say that if your opinion of the server has changed this much in two days, I'm glad that you didn't decide to join, and hope that you'll take the time to get to know this server (or any other) and the players on it before you make a decision to put down money to support it.

As someone who doesn't play L4D2, I can't say that the teams should or shouldn't be scrambled under certain circumstances. The few times that I've played the game, the scoring has been (for me) harder to figure out than a wrestling match. As far as I'm aware, there is not currently a policy on when teams should or should not be scrambled or adjusted, although the L4D2 admins may already have an understanding amongst themselves. I've raised the question in the admin forums, but I can't tell you what the decision is going to be, or even if there will be a decision. Either way, it's still going to be a judgement call most of the time.

Edited by mookie

GC Alumni
(edited)

1. I have it so at the start of every campaign the teams automatically get scrambled.

2. My general consensus about the whole "team stacking" thing is rampant in this game in it's entirety. It's damn near impossible to fix it because of a few things:

-This game is killed my it's own design flaw. As soon as one team does good, the opposing team doesn't like it and leaves.

-Bots are gawful.

-Friends want to play with friends. If teams get scrambled, friends don't get the chance to play with friends which results in people leaving.

-One player can ruin an entire team, no matter how many you have. One person runs off on their own because they either:

A: are a noob

B: are a griefer

C: (no disrespect) are a foreign player who also falls into A

D: have an uncommunicative team

-One team will ALWAYS be better than the other. Be it either at skill, communication, teamwork, or all of them. Seems like whenever I go in there and sit in spectator mode (even looking at team scores in spectator is broken btw so the only way to get any accurate reading on scores is at the round's end and a round can drag on for more than 10 minutes), there is always one team talking non stop and helping each other while the other team is as leaky in teamwork as a broken hourglass. I believe that Nightling (whom I have played with in L4D for 3 years) would say the same thing about this too. One team better than the other will result in people thinking there is team stacking and rage quit making everything worse on their team since they have to deal with a brain dead bot that runs back half the map to help someone get up, get stuck, then teleport alllllll the way back to the main team.

-My entire time in playing on the 10v10 server, there was probably a 1% chance the teams were ever even, but even then sometimes people screamed at them being unfair because they lost. Can't win them all, no use crying about it.

-Players are at any time able to put in a !votescramble command in chat to bring up a vote. The losing team is always going to choose 'yes' while the winning team is going to choose 'no'...so it mostly results in 'no' so it's a democratic vote. No admin has the ability to "shoot down" a vote. If a vote gets shot down, the server as an entirety shot it down...or at least the winning team did.

-People like winning. People have fun when they're winning. If an admin present were to force a scramble and then the people having fun get thrown on the losing team, they're not going to have fun anymore and cry and moan and leave because they were winning, and now they're losing. Something like that consensually happening will never happen. Ever.

So basically, team stacking is unavoidable. People who play it fail to see that in a game like this. With CS (as an example), it's entirely a 180 situation. Team stacking isn't nearly as bad of an issue in CS because people can voluntarily swap teams at will and even things up. In L4D, it isn't exactly as easy. Teams at 10 players each? Can't switch because they're full (CS does have an imbalance limits, but not team player limits). Scramble? Half the server leaves because they're mad. Vote based on skill to even things up? Going entirely against what we stand for as a community.

L4D lacks any kind of server management tool plugins to even remotely try to quell this problem unless you know how to code for SourceMod and write such plugins yourself (which I do not and cannot do because I'm illiterate at coding). It's not like CS. L4D was made as a 4v4 game, not as a CS-esque pub like game.

As for admins, there is about 4 of them. Two of which can only really play at night.

Edited by JackieChan

GC Alumni
(edited)

Well JC I really respect all the work you do and thanks for the clarification. Maybe I am just "raging" but it does get frustrating when the score is 300 to 3000 and nothing can be done. Maybe you can code in a scramble command for admins, or even an automatic scramble?

As I mentioned before I am a really good coder and would love to help dev for l4d2. I understand sourcemod pretty well since I saw the example code

Again sorry to be "fighting" with you guys but I just want fair games for people (or at least as fair as possible) and tend to fight for that

Edited by crasx

Definitely.

There is actually an admin command to scramble at will. But this falls into the whole "Friends want to play with friends" category. Not necessarily "friends", but if people like who they're playing with, they don't want to be randomly surprised and find them on the opposite team one second later. This disrupts player experience because when a bunch of people are having a blast playing, we shouldn't have to force those people to then potentially not have a blast playing.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm 100% up for the whole balancing thing, but the game's overall design isn't good for such a game mode as 10v10.

GC Alumni

Alright, Ive been playing on the server lately and ive kinda calmed down... The more I play the more i realize we need more l4d admins.

My motto is "if you do nothing, nothing gets done"... so I'd like to join and do something if you guys dont totally hate me.

Let me know if its ok and Ill send in the dollars.

Sorry I've been MIA this weekend. Crash I'm sorry u felt that way and i understand how u feel sort of but also was very surprised at your quick reactions and decisions about us as a whole. I couldn't of said things any better than Jackie did here. This game is near impossible to keep "even" teams. We learned very quickly that scrambling teams in the middle of a game just creates frustrated players who leave and then people who notice teams got scrambled and based on who is on their team, switch back within a couple of minutes putting things back to how they were. Sure we could scramble it again when we notice that but then the aggravation of everyone builds and before u know it people hate to play here cuz the admins are crappy and hate people having fun or something. We are always looking on how to improve the gameplay and fun factor for everyone, whether it be scrambling teams or if that seems like it would do more harm than good overall, then we don't scramble. It's always a tough call as to when to do it. That's about all i have to say about this. maybe I'll think of a better solution here in the next few days. I'm constantly in touch with Jackie and he/we are always trying to improve things and are also open to anyone else giving opinions on solutions to the problems.

GC Alumni

I admit I did jump to some quick conclusions. I also had mistaken some members for admins because of the !hat command.

I too will think of some ways to even it. I'm currently playing on a server where its 10v4 -_- maybe that should autoscramble?

Anyway Id like to join, I really do enjoy playing on the server and would like to help make it better.

Well I'm glad you still have fun playing with us. And if u want to join you don't need approval or anything. Here's a snippet from another post on how to join in the GC Basics section.

PayPal your monies to dues@gamerscoalition.com.

Please include your forum name, your Steam ID/GUID, and use an email address you check regularly.

We can accept checks or MO's - pm Flitterkill in the forums or email flitterkill@gamerscoalition.com for the address.

Look forward to having you as a member if u still want to :)

Oh and as I said before, its $15 for the whole year for general membership and then after 30 days if u wanna apply for admin, hit us up and its another $15 upon approval. Members do get a few little perks in game even without admin, such as the !hat command and also not being kicked for a spectator slot.

Edited by samurai nightling