Purchasing Spawns

MovingTarget2

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Guys,

What do you think about this idea...

Some of the newer players don't really understand that when you purchase spawns, boomers for example, that it often force spawns another player ahead of the travelling survivors - usually not in a good spot either. Essentially, this wastes the new player's points; gives the survivors easy points; gets the player yelled at by the more experienced players; and ultimately, makes the game experience for the new players less enjoyable. How about...

Idea 1. When purchasing a spawn, it allows the server max spawn for that type to be increased by 1. For example, if I know that there is a stairwell where chargers would be really helpful, I can buy a charger spawn. This causes a message to pop up and say Charger spawn has been purchased by MovingTarget so that any other player spawning can immediately choose Charger. We could even have a counter that pops up on-screen with the number of additional available slots for the different spawns.

Idea 2. When purchasing a spawn, the user is actually immediately spawned as a ghost outside of the server max for that spawn. For example, if I had 15 secs before I spawn again but wanted an immediate spitter, I could buy the Spitter spawn and immediately come in to spit. This would also help to alleviate the spitters/boomers that don't believe in suiciding.

I do believe that this would greatly balance gameplay. The points would probably still need to be tweaked especially for the various spawns. For example smokers and hunters are such low point achievers that I do believe they should cost less than a spitter or charger. I'm not sure if the server tracks how many types of each infected are spawned, but anecdotal experience would suggest that Spitters, Chargers, and Boomers probably are the more in demand spawns.

Now I wish I could say that I'd help with the programming but I have NO CLUE on that part of it. So if anyone has the programming skills, please feel free to take this idea and run with it.

Thanks,

MT

Edited by JackieChan

Pretty good ideas. Feasible? We would have to see. It sounds like a lot of coding, a lot of time and work, and we would have to test it out before ever putting it on the server. If i understand it correctly, i think i like idea #1 better. I'm still questioning whether it would balance game play that much though, or cause that many more headaches.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Instead of spawning the infected you buy, it inceases the spawn limit by 1? That would be doable.

Idea 2 however sounds more complicated in the fact that it spawns players in ghost form. Right now, all the "buying of infected" just uses the simple "z_spawn" console command. I'm sure idea 2 could be done too, but not something I know how to do.

Also, hunters = low point achievers?!?! To me, they're second to spitters. I've bought 3 Tanks in one round using only hunters, lol.

The first one sounds pretty win.

As for the rest... What? Not sure how you figure people want to buy boomers though. That's the worst comment I've ever heard in relation to the buy system. In fact. Boomers/smokers are pretty much useless when it comes to the buy system. Since they have to be at specific spots. Or rocket boom in. Universal Fact: Boomers/smokers/jockeys are always available in rotation. Anyway, The point system is fair. Sometimes I buy 9-10 hunters at once, like last night, just to help finish off a team. I'm guessing you never high-pounce, since hunters get more points than spitters generally do.(unless the whole team is in one spot-that's gg either way though) Spitter points have been downgraded a lot since a few months ago.

Example: Hunter pounce for 25 = 12 points

Spitter-25 damage = MAYBE 4-5 points.

/end rant

Yeah, I nerfed the spitters by a good degree since instead of them getting 2 points every time, every time a spitter were to get points, a d3 (lol nerd) is rolled and if it's a 0 (since coding dictates that 0s are numbers too), you get 2 points, and if you get a 1 or 2, you get 1 point.

Yeah, I nerfed the spitters by a good degree since instead of them getting 2 points every time, every time a spitter were to get points, a d3 (lol nerd) is rolled and if it's a 0 (since coding dictates that 0s are numbers too), you get 2 points, and if you get a 1 or 2, you get 1 point.

LOL I never realized thats what you did. win.

GC Alumni
(edited)

To be honest, I see good and bad things with this (not like the current system is perfect by any means)

Good:

-It would certainly cut down on people getting forced spawned in as whatever someone else bought. Like this scenario: "Oh yeah... gonna death charge this guy running across here... Just a couple more seconds then I'll spawn in so I don't give myself away....3....2....1...BLURRURURURHRRRGURURRGRU!! What?! Boomer?!?! SDHFKLSJHRKJSHDK#&R$ *rage"

-Would shut people up about making up rules like the whole "spit and die" rule people think is an actual rule in which it really isn't.

Bad:

-Spamming SI. People could spam buy increase the spitter limit (as an example) and have 10 spitters running around at any given time all the time...this could be remedied, however, by having like... spawn limits can only be increased to 5 at max or something like that and if someone tries to raise it any higher it simply wouldn't let them.

-With the current system as it is, people are used to having it auto-spawn infected in as soon as one is bought. If it were to change (even with numerous announcements from the group/admins), people will still be like "WHAT THE HECK" about it...(why does Zayane suddenly come into mind?)

There are other things that I plan on adding to the buy plugin once I get my computer back from my brother and fixed with the replacement part I got. For instance, instructor hints for certain things (like informing the player about the buy menu) instead of them all just being in the game chat which easily gets overlooked. Plus, properly having it so all survivors get points for when the Tank dies instead of it only happening...when it's a bot.

...I hate not having my computer available.

Edited by JackieChan

(edited)

Well guys. A huge thanks for really considering this. I'm really glad that this has sparked some good conversations and heck I found another D&D fan (D3 - LOL)

Jackie - I think the good points you mentioned really outweigh any of the bad points. I am hoping once everyone gets a chance to come and look at this post, we'll see a heavy bias towards the first option.

If you believe it will be easily implemented, all the better. (WOOHOO)

I'm not too attached to changing the point cost of the various infected so I'll let you guys decide if/when the system gets implemented. I know that you guys are extremely responsive compared to other server admins and community. If I don't comment as much, don't take it as I am uninterested. I know that the appropriate questions and solutions will come out.

Edited by MovingTarget2

GC Alumni
(edited)

If I'm able to make this idea into a reality, this is what I would plan on doing:

Since I believe that all infected spawns cost 5 points regardless of infected type, I would up each class to be 10 points. Reason? There is obviously going to be a limit on how many times you can increase the infected spawn limit count, so it would be extremely easy for one person to max out that limit by themselves. With it being 10 points, it would be harder, but would balance things out. Since spitter limits are at 2 right now as a server default, and the max I'd make it to would be 5 for each infected class, spending 30 points in total for the team isn't a whole lot, but it is certainly better than it being only half that. I have an idea on how I can get this working, but in order to put it to the test, yes, I would need my computer fixed up...I should really put the source for my plugins folder in Dropbox or something...

Anywho, I certainly like this idea better than the current system heavily based on the first point I made in my previous post...that was the boomer vomiting in that example by the way, lol.

Also, snatched from the server.cfg is the infected limits:

sm_cvar z_versus_boomer_limit 3

sm_cvar z_versus_charger_limit 2

sm_cvar z_versus_hunter_limit 3

sm_cvar z_versus_jockey_limit 3

sm_cvar z_versus_smoker_limit 3

sm_cvar z_versus_spitter_limit 2

So yeah, I'm looking at a max of 5 for each of those, even with the ones already at 3.

Edited by JackieChan

• 2 months later...

Just got back this weekend and had some time for L4D2. I love the additions to the purchasing spawns. I played a couple of games and I did not hear ANY complaints about the spawning system. Have you heard of any feedback good or bad? IMHO, its awesome. It's exactly what I had hoped for. GJ

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Instead of spawning the infected you buy, it inceases the spawn limit by 1? That would be doable.

Idea 2 however sounds more complicated in the fact that it spawns players in ghost form. Right now, all the "buying of infected" just uses the simple "z_spawn" console command. I'm sure idea 2 could be done too, but not something I know how to do.

Also, hunters = low point achievers?!?! To me, they're second to spitters. I've bought 3 Tanks in one round using only hunters, lol.

i do that on my server. the ghost switch thing. =p