New Players

MPG1770

I'm all for new players joining this server, BUT, when it's plainly obvious that some have not played this game in regular Vs mode, have no understanding of what to do (e.g. using !buy system), ignore Rules in MOTD, don't listen to experienced players, insult and abuse others..... need I go on...? Why not make it a stipulation that players must have at least 50 hours of game play in regualr Vs mode before they can join, or is that too much to ask?

That is, in my opinion, too much to ask. We are supposed to be open and inviting to all types of players, even new ones. Yes it sucks sometimes because they don't know what to do, but if we kick them out or yell at them that they are noob or suck, they'll never come back.

The best thing we can do is coach them, hope they listen, and then catch on. I had a totally new guy to the server the other night, he only had about 10 hours in L4D2 and came from the Xbox community. He listened to me, learned the !buy commands, and had a blast. He thanked everyone who was teaching him, and he actually did well.

As far as new people who break the rules, well those ones can be kicked. Obvious disregard for rules or insulting other players wont be tolerated by new or experienced players.

I think we need to differentiate between new players who are willing to try and learn and new players who make no effort to communicate or work as a team. I'm all for new people - more the merrier - but when we have a packed server and Johnny McSolo continuously screws over their team by not doing anything beneficial and ignores everyone I think the democracy of a votekick is justified. Especially is the case when all it takes is one person to ruin a chapter as well as a lot of regulars waiting for a spot it only seems logical.

Edited by Sess1on

Yeah I realize that, i had a german guy and 2 spanish guys in the server yesterday morning at the same time. Everyone talking, but no one understanding each other probably lol. However even people who dont understand english should know how the game works, and that it takes teamwork and not you doing your own little thing in the way front or back of the group every single round.

• 3 months later...

Server is fine with new players as is. What it needs is a good balancer when the points swing by more that 1000. Then a random scramble should occur.

Also, glad to see "infinity Times" is gone. Server is so much better for us new people.