Server Crashes

JyKri

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of server crashes lately, and it's getting to the point where it's infrequent to finish a whole versus run without it going down and resetting. Is this just a normal process we have to bear with or is it being looked into already?

Either way, see you guys in game : )

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of server crashes lately, and it's getting to the point where it's infrequent to finish a whole versus run without it going down and resetting. Is this just a normal process we have to bear with or is it being looked into already?

Either way, see you guys in game : )

Yea it has been but that's not the norm, on top of all the major lag spikes that have started...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is happening for sure, but I realized that you can crash the server by connection to it when the map is changing and then taking up a slot in either of the teams. I don't know if this is for sure or not, but I have seen this happening quiet a few times now.

Crashes seem to be more frequent the sooner a game update is applied to the server. If I was a pro-grammer (lolz), I would try to make it so the server doesn't use like 50 plugins and have them all consolidated down into like... 3 or 5 or something. Since I am not good at that thing, it won't happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Valve uses a modified version of the Orange Box source engine for L4D/L4D2 and they basically have it so the game is most stable under 4-8 players, not 20. 20 players causes a lot of instability plus the amount of plugins and whatnot all running on the server at once. Think of it as piling up 7 people in a 4 seater car. Sure, 3 can squeeze in the front as well in the back, but the 7th person? Yeah, that's not really safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Crashes seem to be more frequent the sooner a game update is applied to the server. If I was a pro-grammer (lolz), I would try to make it so the server doesn't use like 50 plugins and have them all consolidated down into like... 3 or 5 or something. Since I am not good at that thing, it won't happen.

Send me a list of the plugins you use, and I'll consolidate it. Now that I'm only idling as a mod programmer and not maintaining a community, I have significantly more free time.

Also, if you want a more custom plugin, I've got a bit of free time on my hands this month.

Skyy's the only person to ever put together a coherent 10v10 server, and he quit recently afaik.

As I've done for mega's server community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/maximumservers , I took dozens of plugins and dropped them into two plugins. Stability way up *reaching for clouds*