GC Minecraft moving

Flitterkill

San is now in charge.

MC is moving for the time being to one of our Chicago NFO servers.

Part of the reason for performance problems on the previous server was the huge increase in map size with the newer Minecraft (file size that is) coupled with Minecraft running on the primary drive on the server which only has 11 gig of space; most of which was taken up by the operating system. Add in logs, windows updates automatically downloading, etc, and the last two weeks we were maxing the drive out.

If we need to go back, I'll probably be able to get us rocking on the data drive and then no more problems.

However...

On NFO, we will have a much better CPU - so bonus there.

On the downside, no Dynmap as that requires full access to the server and we are on a fully managed server in this instance. Sorry kids.

With that, I'll turn you over to San. The current server is now off and the new NFO version should be up tomorrow afternoon/evening I'd bet.

NO LOSS OF CURRENT WORK!

San has our current map and only needs to upload it to the new server (btw the current map was 600 megs in size)

Once it up and going and everything is "cool" San will patch in someone's dragon or building or whatever from our older Minecraft maps.

No dynmap sucks but great everywhere else. Does anyone have a screen shot of the most current dynmap?

Now I wish everyone was not so freakin far way.

Is it gonna be a new IP and if so what is it?

Edited by Hailfire

Alright folks, the map is VERY corrupt. Amertrash has been kind enough to attempt to fix it, but the map is having errors, constantly.

Our next plan of attack is to take the "fixed" version and manually MCEdit out the most recent area of the map. This happens to be the area where trash has moved all his stuff.

I won't be able to get to this until probably 8 or so tomorrow night as I'll be working late all week, but rest assured we're doing our best.

FK butting in here - apparently as the hard drive was maxing out you guys did stuff in the game i.e. exploring, building, etc. and the game obviously still tried to write the new areas to the map files. With hilarious results...

FK butting in here - apparently as the hard drive was maxing out you guys did stuff in the game i.e. exploring, building, etc. and the game obviously still tried to write the new areas to the map files. With hilarious results...

Corrupt enough where the server console log grew to 355307(30MB) lines in less than a minute of running with the unfixed version. Fixed version is way better and only throws warnings instead severe, but has missing chunks and entity problems.

GC Board Member

Also, Dynmap looks like it has a decent chance of coming back. I forgot we could host that stuff off-server. If we go with our webserver it may have to be lo-res maps though as the rendering crunch on the cpu for the high res may be a bit much. Our game server does come with free webspace I believe so that is prob the way we'll go.

Also, Dynmap looks like it has a decent chance of coming back. I forgot we could host that stuff off-server. If we go with our webserver it may have to be lo-res maps though as the rendering crunch on the cpu for the high res may be a bit much. Our game server does come with free webspace I believe so that is prob the way we'll go.

From what san found on the hosting company forums they will allow dynmap to run with its builtin webserver(so it'll be http://(SERVER_IP:8123) and they don't seem to mind/charge for it. If we want hi-resolution renders I'd be happy to render/host them if needed, they just won't have web chat(which we might not get anyways)/player locations and will only be updated periodically like every day or week.

GC Board Member

If it has to run on the game server itself we'll need to be careful not to disrupt whatever else is on the box performance wise. Another option of course is to just use one of the rendering plugins that exist and run a one time render every now and then and post it up.

Alright folks, update time.

I've deleted about 35,000 chunks of newly (as best as I can tell) explored terrain. The map is currently saving (30 minutes so far) and the plan is to begin the upload tonight. Please keep in mind that if you've recently explored you may lose progress, and I greatly apologize for that. Also, if you come across bad sections of the map, please write down the X and Z coordinates (found by pressing F3) and note them here and I can always go back and remove them as well.

The new IP for the server is...

going to be posted as soon as the map is up.

74.91.115.125:25565

Caution: you may DIE when you join.

Also, there are still a few chunk errors. For instance there's one chunk a little way from spawn that's got issues.

Another also. /gohome "works" but your home may not still be your home. Hope that makes sense.

Ok guys, there are more errors than previously thought. I would like some input from everybody.

Short of MASSIVE manual editing there's not a lot that can be done to fix things like this:

3MEsY.jpg

• Like 1

If it is a new map would love to see it go ahead and update to the newest version, should be a little less buggy and slightly better biome transitions.

New bukkit(which needs to be matched against the MC server) isn't out yet other then development. Need to wait for Bukkit 1.1 to roll out and we'll move to 1.1.