Octoberfest and Pumpkin Beer

mookie

It's that time of year again, when Octoberfest beers hit the shelves (and of course the pumpkin beers as well). What are you drinking this year, and how do you like it?

So far for me, Sam Adams Octoberfest seems par for the course, or not quite as good as last year and the year before, not quite as smooth and malty.

Magic Hat (local to Northeast) Hex is OK, but tastes about halfway between marzen and a good pale ale. Not surprising to me; I haven't had a good Octoberfest from an ale-only brewery yet.

Harpoon (local to Northeast?) Pumpkin Cider is a tart, mild, smooth apple cider with some spices. It tastes OK, although if you're used to cider it will taste unusual. The odor is strange (disturbing?); it smells to me mainly like cake frosting. I would recommend avoiding this, unless you (1) like soft (sweet) cider and (2) have desserts like oatmeal cookies, carrot/apple/white/yellow cake, or apple pie that you plan on eating.

i'm still working my way through the myriad summer beers out here. octoberfest is going to drive me broke.

i hereby motion for fragfest northwest, wherein we drink good beer and occasionally frag.

unrelated: does dogfish head have a fall seasonal i should be on the lookout for?

GC Alumni
(edited)

They have the Punkin Ale. If you're going to drink a Pumpkin Ale, it's a good option. Though, I prefer their winter Chicory Stout.

*EDIT* As for the NW, I love Pyramid's stuff. Haven't been able to taste much else from around there, though.

Edited by Biggs

I love every seasonal (and pretty much all the regulars) that Deschutes puts out and Dogfish head has my second favorite pumpkin ale, BJ's Brewhouse takes first but they won't sell you bottles of it.

http://www.bjsbrewho...ers/pumpkin-ale

Edit: Sam Adams Octoberfest is great but I love their Winter Lager.

Edited by Madvillain