New Mazda

gOOters

goot I have driven the RSX Type S when it first came out (friend had one) and while it may not be the fastest car in the world it is definatly a car that says "DRIVE ME NOW!!"

it's the kind of car that you can walk outside on a nice day and literally hear it yelling to be driven for no other reason than to drive.............

definatly sweet and fun..........

now going to the side of how well it runs or how long it lasts.......................no clue.........look into that.

very nice call, Chief. You have the same tastes as me on this matter...I think I would probably rather wait a bit for Z prices to drop and get a newer Z. Also, my insurance wants an arm and a leg for the bimmer :( That is one SWEET car though! I even found a couple of good deals on 1999 M3's!

350Z -- $35K for track model to compete on performance

3.5-Liter, V6, 24-Valve, DOHC, SEFI Engine, Front/Longitudinal Mounted With Horsepower Of 287@ 6200 and Torque Of 274@4800

The Z offers more cargo capacity than a Mazda Miata, but less than a Porsche 911 or Boxster or a Mitsubishi Eclipse, more than an Audi TT, but less than a TT with quattro.

'99 M3 -- $30K fullllllly loaded with 30k miles

3.2-liter 24-valve DOHC inline-six-cylinder engine. This sonorous, rev-happy powerplant'll make ya 240 horses at 6000 rpm, with max torque coming in at 236 lb-ft at 4250.

Jusssst a bit more room. Hard say with the maintenance though. I guess you'll just have to be happy with the Z. :(

(edited)

I will be, if thats what i end up with. i vascillate endlessly on this issue but always come back to the z. :P

Edit: I saw a new silver M3 yesterday and drooled all over myself. If I was a rich man, that would dDWEFINATELY be what I baught...SOOOOO classy, SOOOOO fast, SOOOO sexy!!

Edited by gOOters

Goot... Base model Z starts at $26,000. Thats not giving up any performance. All models of Z's (track, enthusiast etc.) all have the same engines and tranny's. Only differences are the upgraded wheel package and Brembo brakes with (I believe) 17 inch cross-drilled rotars. But the only reason you would need those would be if you drive like a female, flying up to a stop light and slamming on the brakes at the last possible second (ask my girlfriend about THAT style of driving :D ) But the only complaints I have seen on the Z was the passenger side seat belt rattling against the door when not being occupied, and the oil dipstick is at a 90 degree angle and is almost impossible to get in and out. If you look into it though, every little import, due to the engine bay size and the use of space, has this problem. I dont know how many times I about burned my hand off trying to get to the dipstick in that Celica. But I don't have to do that EVER AGAIN. ;););)

Good point J...I prolly dont need more than the enthusiast package which comes with limited slip diff.

The performance adds VDC (vehicle dynamic control? or is itr stability?) anyway that might be nice, but prolly isnt necessary

I personally wouldn't be happy without the Brembos. I've read in several mags that the brakes do fade because the car is pretty heavy. The first time I drove it in some twisty mountains and wanted to have fun and felt sloppy brakes would take away from every day after that and tarnish the memories before. NO COMPROMISES!!!

<looks at key ring> 8P)

bah, you would have to drive it pretty hard to feel bad about the stock brakes...oh wait, you remind me of me so...ill bet you would need those Brembos! You couls always add bigger rotors and better pads for a fraction of the cost aftermarket...thats what I would probably do, unless i was rich :P

Or go for the Acura and not have to do aftermarket stuff. I'm a big fan of factory stock. That's why I love the m3. It's all done and clean. Aftermarket stuff is fine and I respect tuners, but it's not me.

But the Z is VERY heavy for it's stock shoes. On any given day, they'd be fine. But there WOULD come a time when I drove it to D.C. through the Aps. and the brakes would fade and I would be dissappointed, lose confidence and think about it every day after that. It would be a hollow feeling. Sure it'd be fine most of the time or better than fine. But what a flaw. If was spending that kind of money to upgrade the brakes, I'd rather be buying a second set of rubber and having fun with the first! :)

The dipstick is very easy to reach on my del sol (or any other honda car made from 1992-2000). It is at only about a 35 degree angle, right at the front of the engine between the pipes of the exhaust manifold coming out of cylinders 2 and 3.

Oh yeah, and Dweez, the RX-8 looked so sweet in X2!