Ok so, let me rage for a sec and question you...

GravityKitty

I am wondering... (And this has probably already been brought up, dont hate me if it has, just tell me)

Two things:

People that wont listen: I understand not being able to kick because of skill (so many of us would have been kicked so much....), however, not listening to your team is another... Things like "leave the bot" or "stay ahead"... simple things... And people not replying to being spoken to when trying to explain to them how to use points...

Not having a mic, ok, but everyone can see the chat, and well, some people can hear the game...

We were all new once, and we all made an effort, and we all learned how to use the point system (maybe badly at first, but we got the basics). But the frustration of the team with one person is a little too much I guess...

It just gets to the point where it is no longer "teamwork" and, just like rushing, it affects the team.

I see where you are going to say "But--- not everyone speaks english!"

Well, my friends, that is number 2!

I am willing, if not MORE THAN WILLING to help translate the MOTD and the buy system in different languages. I can speak portuguese fluently and am not so behind with spanish... I think it would be helpful to have it in as many languages as possible... English, Portuguese, Spanish, Canadian, Swedish, Finnish, Gibberish, etc...

There could be a query when you first come in to choose the language? Maybe?

How can we fix this problem? Again, this has probably already been discussed... Help me understand why I have to get a hernia everytime Im trying to talk to some new guys... Its like trying to make contact with spirits....

But yeah... Proceed....

• Like 1

If JC can patch it in and you are willing, why not?

FYI, in UT2K4 Onsalught there are vehicles called mantas. Flying cycle with rotating horizontal fans on either side of the driver. "Give rides!" was what everyone yelled.

Why?

Because people would jump in a manta and take off to the first node to build. Everyone experienced knew that at least two more people could hitch a ride by jumping on those horizontal fans.

"Give rides!" = "Don't rush!"

I made similar thread about 2 months ago or so. I even put some possible idea (if they wouldn't crash the server) like spamming text for new players, how to use points, how to send points, those who played less than let's say 80 hours.

For language I can see 1 solution: Server can recognize from where is player joining as Russia, China, Moon, Mars or so and if it's new. I would make translation of those most used things such as !sp, !np, !buy and such. So literally for new players, from different countries those most used thigns would be translated into their language.

Why not admin the new players. Admins should just put them in spec and talk to them there. If they immediately use "!jointeam" then they are just trolling, if not then they don't know what's going on and are just playing the game.

Admins can use warnings with reasons etc. Admins can do more than tell people to stop cursing / ban / kick people. You can also just unwarn someone after they start paying attention.

I made similar thread about 2 months ago or so. I even put some possible idea (if they wouldn't crash the server) like spamming text for new players, how to use points, how to send points, those who played less than let's say 80 hours.

For language I can see 1 solution: Server can recognize from where is player joining as Russia, China, Moon, Mars or so and if it's new. I would make translation of those most used things such as !sp, !np, !buy and such. So literally for new players, from different countries those most used thigns would be translated into their language.

I agree, but alot of times we arent able to communicate with the person.... I keep calling them out on chat over and over and over, and they still dont talk back, meaning that spamming them wont matter at all, they will still not listen... There are plenty of people willing to help out new players, they have to be WILLING TO LEARN... If not, I say we kick them! :/

I had one just the other day that wouldnt listen, we called them out over and over and he would type ">_>" on chat... It was obvious he was trolling, but I wasnt allowed to kick him because of "skill", which was unrelated!

Why not admin the new players. Admins should just put them in spec and talk to them there. If they immediately use "!jointeam" then they are just trolling, if not then they don't know what's going on and are just playing the game.

Admins can use warnings with reasons etc. Admins can do more than tell people to stop cursing / ban / kick people. You can also just unwarn someone after they start paying attention.

It would save time, and patience...

Willing to pitch in on the translation idea if you need someone to put it in Dutch (which is not the same as German people!)

As for the more general matter of people not listening:

I was new on the server once. I had some experience with regular 4v4 but other than that nothing.

How long did it take to become even slightly average at 10v10? A long time...

How long did it take me to start listening to my teammates? About 2,5 milliseconds: 'Don't walk there', 'move forward', 'wait here' and 'don't shoot the boomer' aren't exactly dubious commands.

How about giving admins the permission to hand out warnings for players who don't listen to their team? (as opposed to waiting until he's actively griefing, at which point the round is pretty much over for whoever's team that player is on)

Edited by TheDude

Well I know that I have been in Russian 10v10's and all the text appears in Russian, so I don't know if source games have any kind of ability to translate text..which would be ideal in this situation. I think that non-english speaking players are a big source of situations like this. The only somewhat easy way to help that I can think of is an animated spray that would cycle through commands in 2/3 languages.

We also have to consider what the average 10v10 server and player is like. There's maybe one other 10v10 that I have played in where people actually use mics. Most of them are full of silent players who just rush, leave their team behind and take advantage of the overpowered perks to massacre everything they come across. New players may find what goes on in the gc server to be surprising, unusual and may have never been in a 10v10 where people are actually trying to work together to win. Those of us who have 200+ hours logged on the server are playing from a much different perspective than a lot of the 10v10 community is. Sometimes I feel bad for new players, they get yelled at and ragged on constantly because they are lagging behind or going down the wrong path etc. I definitely get it, its annoying when you are moving along smoothly and a new guy drops in, gets incapped because he's shopping alone in the back. But "DON'T SHOP!!!!!!" and "Hey _____, shopping is a bad idea on this server because...." can produce two drastically different reactions from the offending player. I think just politely letting people know what the server is about would go along way...not that their aren't helpful or polite people around here because there definitely are, but I also see a lot of overreacting to new players mistakes.

I think it would be helpful to have it in as many languages as possible... English, Portuguese, Spanish, Canadian, Swedish, Finnish, Gibberish, etc...

lol?

haha..i think she meant french.

Not everyone knows or understands English.

Also if we put in the language thing, we would need admins to regulate the no cursing rule/no disrespecting rules in the other languages.

Edited by ValenAlvern

No, you don't choose a language if you're using server translations. The translation file automatically selects whatever language your client is running in.

However, since the version you guys are using is a heavily modified version of the usepoints plugin on Alliedmods, and that version doesnt support translations, so I very highly doubt that this version does, either.

He could do it, but it would take a pretty high amount of time and work to add it in. Also, he'd need to find people who can actually speak those languages fluently - that means not using google translate, since google translate doesn't perform the translations needed to make anything readable. So it's possible, but that's going to be a TON of work.

I think it would be helpful to have it in as many languages as possible... English, Portuguese, Spanish, Canadian, Swedish, Finnish, Gibberish, etc...

lol?

Canadian ? Heh, mate, maple sirup and beavers, mooses and deers, bacon and put some maple sirup on your ham. Lumberjack?

*that is the prayer we, Canadians, say every night all together a 5pm when we eat with our family*

GC Coalition Member

Canadian ? Heh, mate, maple sirup and beavers, mooses and deers, bacon and put some maple sirup on your ham. Lumberjack?

*that is the prayer we, Canadians, say every night all together a 5pm when we eat with our family*

haha

lol?

HAHAHA I was waiting on someone to catch that....

• Like 1

lol?

:D

lol?

I don't always quote other posts, but when I do... I make sure to leave as much unrelated content in as possible.

lol?

I don't always quote other posts, but when I do... I make sure to leave as much unrelated content in as possible.

quote-ception

Edited by TheDude