Swastikas Everywhere...

chick82

So I logged on today & was asked by Swamp to come to Spawn because we had been greifed. When I got there this is what I found outside.

Now Crasx, Myself, & Swamp cleaned it all up.

THIS IS WHAT WE KNOW:

Spawn, Creepers place, & Swamps place all had be vandalized. Meaning said person would have to have permissions to both Creeper & Swamps place. Crasx was able to find out that only Scout something had it at both. Meaning that he is probably the one that did it.

post-4102-0-56062000-1368487541_thumb.png

post-4102-0-34130700-1368487551_thumb.png

post-4102-0-08586300-1368487579_thumb.png

post-4102-0-88631700-1368487602_thumb.png

UPDATE:

WE found out that it was in fact Swamp that did it. So Crasx perma-banned him. As far as I'm concerned even if he comes to the forums, I think this is beyond okay.

I will be honest about a few things:

Crasx & I stretched the truth a bit, because we really stated to believe that swamp either did it or was involved, so Crasx & I decided to put it in chat that we would check the logs to find out who did it & perma-ban them or if the person who did it would just come forward they wouldn't be banned. (I know it's wrong but this is truly offensive & innapproriate behavior on a GC server & on top of that he continued to point blame to Scout & even Palmer (renegades son)).

Swamp finally came clean & then proceeded to say "Well there's no rule against greifing at the spawn". Which IMO there is greifing & this is beyond greifing this is racist.

Yes, I do realize that it's wrongful of me to do this, but in no way, I just decided to go out with a bang. I'd just like to say that there is no rule against griefing. and definitely nothing against building in unclaimed areas. For the future, please reform the rules ( just add no griefing in unclaimed areas). I thank you for the time i was allowed to play on your servers, mainly l4d2. I'm sorry that I did this, but i'm not going to kiss butt to try and get back on playing l4d2(assuming flitterkill's post includes l4d2). I had a great experience from start to near end finish, and i wish the best to all of the staff, the current players, and the future players to come. Thank you all =)

Edited by Swampfire227

(edited)

Good riddance to ya.

And lol - I knew you'd try the whole "swastikas were used way before the Third Reich" excuse. I'm certain you meant the ancient Hindu symbol when you made those on the Server. Some hate-filled people are so predictable.

On a side note - if you need a hard-set "rule" against being an idiot of this magnitude, you're better off playing somewhere else and never stepping foot on another GC Server again.

Edited by Baloosh

Yes, I do realize that it's wrongful of me to do this, but in no way, I just decided to go out with a bang. I'd just like to say that there is no rule against griefing. and definitely nothing against building in unclaimed areas. For the future, please reform the rules ( just add no griefing in unclaimed areas). I thank you for the time i was allowed to play on your servers, mainly l4d2. I'm sorry that I did this, but i'm not going to kiss butt to try and get back on playing l4d2(assuming flitterkill's post includes l4d2). I had a great experience from start to near end finish, and i wish the best to all of the staff, the current players, and the future players to come. Thank you all =)

P.S. the swastika was used way before ww2

http://answers.yahoo...17072946AAbmze7

http://www.sanskrit....r/swastika.html

wat? common sense shouldn't require rules.

to everyone else, my question seems skipped. can minecraft be locked down?

wat? common sense shouldn't require rules.

to everyone else, my question seems skipped. can minecraft be locked down?

I don't think we should, we have a few non-members who play on it. & this doesn't seem to be a normal thing. No reason to spoil everyone's fun atm.

• Like 1

(to the mod(s)/admins that see this first) may i do anything to make up for the time i wasted? I just want to do something to have the admins that came on during my final moments in this community to forgive me. That is all. If not, then have a good life to all of you. ~Swampfire227~

A few weeks ago, Renagade and I built this sign at the global spawn with some basic rules--oddly enough this is inside the building shown in chick's screenshots which you surrounded with swastikas.

2013-05-13_22.51.04.png

GC Alumni
(edited)

I am honestly very surprised by this behavior, you struck me as a polite and friendly player in all the interactions I've had with you. I really do not know how you got the idea that there was not a rule against 'griefing'... Man.. it should be common sense to not deface our server in this manner.

That said, there is always the 'Got banned from any of our servers?' subforum if you'd like to make an appeal to this ban. At minimum, a serious apology is in order.

Edited by Biggs

I'm sorry that I did this, but i'm not going to kiss butt to try and get back on playing l4d2(assuming flitterkill's post includes l4d2).
I just want to do something to have the admins that came on during my final moments in this community to forgive me.

Not saying you should "kiss butt", your actions require consequences, regardless of the intent, whether they be good or bad.

Every action as a negative and positive reaction. This also a very broad/vague saying, as the positive can be in the form of people who see Biggs sign or your action to change their actions on the server to a positive one, negative in the fact this happened and you were banned for it.

I am honestly very surprised by this behavior, you struck me as a polite and friendly player in all the interactions I've had with you.

The Devil has a forked tongue my friend.

EDIT: Since this a 3d game, its hard to tell which kind of swastika this is

Since it can be interpreted as both, but for clarity the right-facing swastika

90px-Cw_right-facing_swastika.ant.svg.png

Is ALWAYS attributed with Nazism for European/English countries. If youre gonna use swastikas of the spiritual kind only the "sacred force" should be acceptable

150px-HinduSwastika.svg.png

Swastikas are a touchy subject of what I described and its up to the board members/owners to set the rules as they see fit on holy and unholy items on the server(s)

Edited by ValenAlvern

Not to derail, but the symbol used on a buddha build I'm hiding in a mountain is okay though right? If not I'll remove it immediately and figure out something else.

Since yours is next to the associated religious idol, I do not think anyone will confuse yours.

Theres nothing "wrong" with what swastika you use, but 90degree and 45degree right-facing swastikas are, as I said associated with Nazism. Just to keep that in mind.

EDIT: but dont take my word for it, as I am not an admin, but those are my two cents. If Biggs, Chick, or anytother admin or higher ranked says anything, you'll probably be asked to take it down.

Edited by ValenAlvern

Thanks, just got it cleared. Yeah I do think a lot of it boils down to context too, and definitely it's something that the community as a whole should have a part in.

Well thats good to hear, I would enjoy seeing your statue/monument/build.

Back to the topic: Not being a religious person I thought long and hard about what I am about to say. Since Swamp abusively build(?), by "spamming" the swastikas around. I think that:

A. Any religious items whether it be swastika, holy cross, star of david, or any other holy relic, that was "spammed" in the same manner as Swamp should be considered a form of religious griefing

B. Swastikas alone should not be attributed to Nazism, it should be only contributed if the colors Red, White and Black exist, or if Hitler or any other Nazi related item/object/person/phrase exist near it.

I wish to segregate Nazi away from Swastikas as much as possible, so I think B is very fitting for that. Thoughts?

Edited by ValenAlvern

Thanks, just got it cleared. Yeah I do think a lot of it boils down to context too, and definitely it's something that the community as a whole should have a part in.

Well thats good to hear, I would enjoy seeing your statue/monument/build.

Back to the topic: Not being a religious person I thought long and hard about what I am about to say. Since Swamp abusively build(?), by "spamming" the swastikas around. I think that:

A. Any religious items whether it be swastika, holy cross, star of david, or any other holy relic, that was "spammed" in the same manner as Swamp should be considered a form of religious griefing

B. Swastikas alone should not be attributed to Nazism, it should be only contributed if the colors Red, White and Black exist, or if Hitler or any other Nazi related item/object/person/phrase exist near it.

I wish to segregate Nazi away from Swastikas as much as possible, so I think B is very fitting for that. Thoughts?

I fear that though the topic is definitely interesting, if we start taking a religious or political stance in things it will only get messy. It's about tolerating, not segregating. This would mean i am very much in favor of a free expression of one's religion, as long as it's not attributed to offensive events in human history, regardless of it's original meaning. Doesn't matter if i think Adolf Hitler is a pretty name, don't think anyone should be allowed to name his child that way, even though it's just a name.

Also if we go down that road, it's gonna end with Preacher having to change his name, people having to change their avatar etc. My country has a long history of disputes over religious affairs and it's a maelstrom that never comes up with something good.

If Swampfire really wanted to use the swastika as a way to express his religion, he would have been smart enough to ask an admin for permission first, and would not have spammed it in the way he did. This had nothing to do with religion, and the fact that the swastika used to have a different meaning seems a pure coïncidence in this case. Swastika's as such should not be banned imo, however in this case, the ban seems very justified.

(edited)

Honestly, this topic from the very beginning has blown the entire case out of proportion....

1. The issue of swastikas as Valen mentioned clearly, you cannot tell which form he meant it in, I know some have tried in this thread but they have simply assumed one meaning over the other (not naming names)

2. Also i would like to restate this for all those people that associate the symbol to WW2, it was adopted by nazi's yes but it pre-dates them in various cultures...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika. In fact i as in Indian still use the symbol as it is part of my religion.

3. Swamp has confessed to creating the symbol, he admitted he griefed and he has also APOLOGIZED repeatedly. In fact he even helped clean the area up as i have read so far and as some have pointed out it was unexpected from him and he is quiet friendly and polite.

Since an action has already been taken regarding this case, can we just lock this thread already and simply make a rules thread or something for the MC server instead, so that non-members and members can relate to for the future. Also if they have a question regarding something they are building, they could always reply to that thread and an admin could answer them possibly.

P.S. Swamp i do understand your case, i would suggest appealing the ban here, the GC admins are quiet nice and i am sure they MAY look at the option of reducing the sentence of your ban, if this is your first offense and you are sincere regarding the apology.

Edited by Avengers

(edited)

It's obvious in what form he meant the swastika, as he has admitted he did it to "grief" and cause trouble. Any rational person can interpret his actions and intent accordingly.

Edited by Baloosh

(to the mod(s)/admins that see this first) may i do anything to make up for the time i wasted? I just want to do something to have the admins that came on during my final moments in this community to forgive me. That is all. If not, then have a good life to all of you. ~Swampfire227~

My Final Thoughts:

There's really nothing you can do Swamp. I wouldn't care if I logged on & someone had greifed spawn with a bunch of silly words & smiley faces or something silly, but this was just really disrespectful, and I think the thing that bothers me the most, is I don't think you had an intention on mentioning that you did it, because you pointed blame on Scout & Palmer, as well as went so far as to justify your actions, & before all this you asked me if it was considered griefing, now I didn't comment because i was getting Crasx & trying to clean up the area.

I don't feel that you truly are sorry, I think you are sorry that you admitted it because you thought you wouldn't get in trouble more than anything.

As far as the Symbol goes:

I get that it is not just a Nazi associated thing, but like I mentioned to Baloosh & this is the best example I can give, in Europe a smoke is called a "F**" and in America it is what people use to insult gay people. They may carry different meanings but it's a word that was used in hate. IMO anytime something is taken from a positive into a negative & especially where the masses see it more as the negative it shouldn't be allowed.

Final: Swamp currently you are perma-banned, it will not be less than a week & the other admins will have to discuss it but if after a week you want to make a formal apology you may in the Banned Threads.

P.S. Can we close this Topic.

IMO the intent is obvious. Sure swastikas are used elsewhere but why would you run around making religious symbols? There is no way you can put this off on them meaning other things.

game set match.