SSD cache drive

LiMiT

Yo,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with using a SSD as a cache drive paired with a standard HDD. I'm reading that Intel is the way to go and that the third party software and dedicated cache drives are not worth it. I already have a 1 TB drive for my next build but I was leaning towards another AMD build hence the third party stuff since AMD has no SSD cache solution. So, if Intel's solution is worth it I want to look into it. Larger SSD drives are still out of my budget at the moment. Any input will be appreciated.

S.

I was just talking about this in someone's new rig topic.... too lazy to find the post....

I have been looking for a good deal on a small SSD because the few machines I have dealt with have been really quick to boot and even quicker to load programs. I wouldn't go crazy and buy anything too big but somewhere in the mid double digits would probably run great. I had a buddy try his 120 GB SSD with his new 250 GB SSD and he said it ran great but felt bad wasting that kind of SSD space so he removed the raid. I dealt with an Alienware a few weeks ago that had a 30 GB SSD for cache and it was pretty impressive. We installed the OS on just the regular HDD and it ran pretty well but as soon as we reinstalled with the SSD setup as a cache through the Intel software it made a drastic improvement.

Sky
(edited)

I dont run raid, mostly because i have that sucker. Theres an even faster one than that one but i dont see the point.

So i cant amswer your question about raid.

Villain when it was given to me i broke down crying because of the cost. I dont want to break down again.

IF i make it to ffo next year youll get to see it. Worth the money, if youre moving files a lot (i do lots of image capturing astronomy so i move files a lot) but for gaming get a standard ssd

Edited by Sky

I dont run raid, mostly because i have that sucker. Theres an even faster one than that one but i dont see the point.

So i cant amswer your question about raid.

Villain when it was given to me i broke down crying because of the cost. I dont want to break down again.

IF i make it to ffo next year youll get to see it. Worth the money, if youre moving files a lot (i do lots of image capturing astronomy so i move files a lot) but for gaming get a standard ssd

I have a Revodrive 3, which is about the same speed. The only problem is when games are on that drive I spend most of my time waiting for other players to load. :)