water cooling

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure Jester has some sound damping material (Duramat or something like that...all you car stereo thumpers should recognize that)cuz he has a monster Thermalright cpu heatsink/fan. I have not heard him complain about it so he must like it fine.

Another thing about the Antec Soho cases (Chieftec, Alienware, Thermaltake, etc, all take this case and modify it then slap their labels on it) is that, if you buy an Audigy Platinum line sound card (1 or 2), if you install the break out box in one of the 5.25 bays, you can't shut the door all the way.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I wanted a full tower vs a midtower. Room to move around i the case. Plus mine was only 65 bucks with free shipping and it had the glass door with a fan in it already. I am very happy with it. It looks really nice.

I just don't want to carry something that big around...and I always have trouble with IDE cables not being long enough etc. I take my comp to kemo's or other places fairly often when it's all said and done...and as far as i'm conserned it's not how big it is...it's...it's something else

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Doing some research and this seems to be one of the best water cooling units around. If you get a new case, etc you can just take it off and move it to the new case. It has me quite interested at the moment....

Exos Water Cooling

You can get this unit on Newegg currently for 239.99.

newegg link

Edited by zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

That second water cooler I posted is only a 100 dollars, but from what I just read on that little review, it isn't very good. The unit basicaly goes inside one of your bays meaning the water is cooled inside your case and the heat disapated from the water is still in the case. The first one is the one I would go with myself.

Yeah, the Exos is the external version of my Koolance. Everything I have read about it gets rave reviews.

I looked at that second one and I agree with ZD about the heat not getting properly dissipated. It would be up against at least one of your drives (whether sandwiched between an HD and a CD drive or resting above a CD drive...those drives can get warm). Also, the radiator looks downright pathetic.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Dweez, tell us your model of water cooler and direct us to a review of it that has pictures and maybe even post up a link to the price on newegg. I am curious about it anyway.

I knew a guy who had a celron 600 oced to 3.8ghz.  He had a home made freon cooling system.  When it gets to that point... i think youve got some serious issues.

633% overclock? I really doubt that. At least make your post believable.

this is true, he was a friend from europe, who ended up killing himself, but he said it was true and showed me a screenshot of his sisoft sandra cpu benchmark. I guess he could have doctored it up but i wouldnt doubt its possible. His ran at -40C. There is almost no limit to how much you can overclock with a freon system.

Here are some links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001103/v...pochill-07.html

http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/prometeia-1.php

http://www.overclockers.com/articles212/

Edited by Asphyxiator

Asphyx...there certainly is a limit. That sounds like it is stretching it a bit but not too outlandishly. I have heard of a 200MHZ being OC'ed to like 1GHz before using freon. They ran a demo of Q2 on it and it took like 7 minutes for it to complete the first level. Then the hardware burned out.

Gah!!!... mixed stories in my head, i was re-reading my trillian logs about it and they were two separate people who had done it. The celeron 600 was only up around 1.5ghz, it was a p4 that was in the mid 3s... my bad.

Edited by Asphyxiator

hehe just wanna get this out of my system....my computers been down cuz of OS trouble but I got my new case...I decided not to go with water cooling.

Currently my case has 3 intake fans in the front 2 outtake in the back and one (led heheh) outtake on the side.

I OC my processer to 1.73 (up from 1.5 {it's a athlon 1800}) After a few hours of game play (playing raven shield and ghostrecon on lan) the temp got up to 113. this is how hot it ran in my old case with no OCing.

I have 2 hd in there now and I've got a 40 gig coming so I can take out the 2 and only have 1.

Now for the actual question. I'm not a master on air flow here and I think if this should be pointed at someone it's rooster (i think you said something about fan placement before)

I don't know where the best place to put fans are.....or rather given the places I have which direction they should be blowing.

Above is link to the case but for thouse who can't really see from that pic I'll tell ya where I have to place the fans. I can put 4 in the front 2 in the rear of the case and one on the side.

I have enough fans to fill evey fan slot in my case. My train of thought goes like this. I could have 4 in the front for intake and 2 on the back as out take and the on the side as out take. 4 intake 3 outtake

However the fan on the side is pointed directly at my processer heatsink, so while my heatsink is sucking air in the side fan is blowing it out.....If I set the side fan to blow air in, it would blow cool outside air directly onto my processer heatsink. the problem here would be (if it would be a problem that is) that I would know have 5 fans blowing into my case and only 2 blowing out.

any thoughts?

Oh ya something else. if you look at the case the power button has a blue led....well the led works but its so dim you can hardly tell it's on. I tryed pluging it in a few diffen't ways on my MB but it wouldn't turn on any other way than the way it's pluged in. I really want the thing to be friggen bright but i'm not sure how to run more current through the led... I think it's pretty obvious but just in case it's the power on led (so eveyone is clear on what kind of connection it is)