water cooling

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is 120 and 100 degrees Farenheit, you are fine. Also, if you look in your mobo manual (on page 4-23) you will see that the Default ACPI Shutdown Temperatures are 60C/140F to 75C/167F. Since you are only hitting 120F during peak, you should be fine

please someone tell me the point to better cooling it if u don't wanna overclock? do u think it will last longer? run faster? WHAT? please enlighten me on this

Ok lot to read here forgive me if I missed something. All this water cooling talk is overkill until you have covered the basics.

1. How many hard drives do you have ? 2-3 hard drives will heat up a case.

2. Related to #1, how big is your PSU? If you have a generic 300watt PSU and have the normal amount of stuff connected you will be at or near maxing it out. If you are near maxing out a PSU it will run hotter to maintain near its peak wattage. Running a PSU near peak will heat up the entire case too.

3. What kind of heatsink do you have? This could be the culprit. I use one of these. Lotsa copper is good. Look at the pictures of it. Have you answered whether you gooped on thermal paste?

4. Are your fans set up correctly? The lower front should pull in air, the one under the PSU should push out. Reversing one will up the temp.

5. Are your fans just loud cheap ones with no speed settings? Look on Newegg.com for some fans with manual adjustment or or thermistat setting, and read the user reviews for comments on how loud they are.

myself and kemo (who is haveing more prob than I cuz his case is much smaller) both have 2 hd. I have a 300 watt PS...whats pluged in:

1. MB

2. 2 cdrom's

3. 1 floppy

4. 1 zip

5. 2 hd

6. thermaltake 7+ fan (so clearly that also covers the cpu heatsink)

7. 2 80mm case fans running at 2800rpm

(-pluggen into MB is one radeon 8500le stock HS

-One IDE card (so i can run my zip drive

- One stick of 512 DDR

- firewire and usp 2 come off mb too)

Fans set up like so:

Front bottom intake

Top back Outtake

The case fans are cheep (4 bucks) but like i said before they are running at 2800 rpm which is about middle of the road as far as i can tell)

Oh ya case size: three 5-and-a-quarter

three 3-and-a-half (one of the 3 hidden)

If your PSU feels more than just a little warm I'd say that's the issue. If it's blowing out the back and feels warm rather than just slightly above room temperature then you are maxing out your PSU and it's causing the problem. I just had this happen a couple of months ago at work with a 300 generic PSU and a similar config to yours. I added a hard drive and the thing went way up in temp. I put in a 350w Enermax and all was fine.

At home I run a 431w with 4 HDs just fine.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Water Cooling scares me still. Nothing bugs me more than the idea of Liquid of any sort around my tower. Let alone running inside of it. I can not recommend it at all.

As for the fan cooling. I just added an additional intake to the front of my tower yesterday. I already had two intake. One on the side glass and one in the front. I had 2 exhaust officially and then the one psu exhaust. SO adding the 3rd intake reduced my temp by 5-10 deg Faringheit.

There really is no need for water cooling in my opinion. It is just an enthusiast thing. Get plenty of fans and a good case, and keep your case clean. Dust it out once a week or so, depending on the amount of dust in your place. Do not smoke around your tower and you will be ALL set.

You really shouldn't make a recommendation on something based on your own unfounded fears. Water-cooling and other extreme cooling, if done using the proper precautions, is perfectly safe. Especially water-cooling now a days since it is no longer just a "geek's" hobby.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I make my recommendation on my years of experience. And since many here know little about how to put together a computer in the first place, the last thing I will do is recommend to this person or persons about water cooling a system.

Yes, but he came to us asking about it. You should say to begin with that you don't suggest it to the casual computer user not "it scares me".

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to make sure water-cooling isn't unnecessarily dissed.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Yes, but he came to us asking about it.  You should say to begin with that you don't suggest it to the casual computer user not "it scares me".

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to make sure water-cooling isn't unnecessarily dissed.

no, it works great. But it can be pricey and a pain in the butt to set up correctly. I personally do not find it worth it at this time. Maybe when it becomes required when our CPU's are running at 100 ghz and we have DDR 100000 RAM and what not. It is usually something that can be easily fixed with a better heatsick and fan for the cpu, better case and better cooling fans. Right now it is basically only good for those who are super overclockers.

So say that. Don't start spreading some unfounded fears. Sure, everyone has heard of someone (or at least heard of someone who has heard of someone) who has trashed their computer through a busted pump or extreme cooling caused ice crystals to form. But the odds of that happening now a days, following the proper precaution is very rare.

For a couple hundred dollars, you can get a water-cooling setup. Even when I wasn't OCing my computer, it helped keep my temp to ~25C all the time.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

No unfounded fears. Just my experience and knowledge being shared in my opinion on the matter. I think the idea of purposely running water through your case is silly.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yes, I didn't intend to be that way Homer. My previous post explained how to solve the heat problem. If your room is 100 deg all the time then your system will run hot. Good heatsink and Fan can help. Good case and plenty of fans to keep the air moving. etc.

(edited)

I also believe Water Cooling is a waste of money, especially if you dont plan on doing some Major Overclocking. It would be ridiculous to Water Cool a 1800+ to run around 2100+. Once you have experimented with Overclocking and understand what part of the system needs more attention, and the increase to heat ratio for your current setup and then decide that your case fans and CPU fans wont cut the few extra Mhz, that is when you should look into a water cooling system. If you put it on somethign barely overclocked you will just be a wannabe geek poser, heh and be wasting a perfectly good water cooling system.

And if your CPU is around 122 and im assuming its AMD, then thats about normal...Mine runs around 114 and probably around 120-125 under a full cpu load. I can see no reason why you would want to cool it anymore

Edited by NOFX

Nice to make all the judgement calls just because it is something you don't prefer to do. I have OC'ed my system...hmm, let's see...exactly as NOFX has said, from an 1800+ to a 2100+. I guess I am a "wannabe geek poser"...it must be true, NOFX said so.

How about just jumping down off your pedistool. Whether you want to admit it or not, water-cooling is perfectly safe now-a-days and is a very efficient way to cool not only your cpu, but your HDs and video card as well. A lot of times it comes custom installed and there is little need to "tweak it" to get it working right.

You guys talk about running your CPU on full load at around 120-125 while mine is at 107 on a full load.

I am sorry but there is no reason to put it down just because you "uber-leet" hardware gurus have decided that you don't like it. To call it unsafe is wrong. It is just as unsafe as if you decide to run your CPU without thermal paste or a heatsink altogether. Like I have said from the beginning, using the proper precautions, the risk is minimal, similar to heatsink/fan failure.

(edited)

lol, i see your turning the hardware forums into what the rest forums are like. We have never had any arguements in here, but your so hasty to defend yourself, What petdistool am I on? This is a place where ppl with hardware experiance can discuss things. I havent insulted you....Sounds like your offended by a number of us not recommending it. We are just saying our opinion on water-cooling....I see no problem with that, why do you keep replyin to me and Z like we are the hardware noobs or we are insulting you? We have been here before their was a hardware section and noone has ever came in here and bashed us for our opinions...Just because we dont agree on the same thing doesnt mean you have to start an arguement.

and as for the matter of water-cooling...

Practically IT IS a waste of money for an overclock from 1800+ to 2100+......

and for the wannabe geek poser, I was thinking about going over to some kids house and he be like, check out my water cooler *snort* *snort*. I'd ask how much it was overclocked and he says from 1.5 to 1.7...... Then I would probably say um why did you waste money on a water cooler, fans can reliably do that job and you could have spent that 200 bucks on something better... You on the other hand are not the wannabe geek poser, you know how to use it, you are just not overclocking alot. If you paided 200 for you water cooled system and run at 107. Then you are paying about $15 dollars more per degree in temp. I think most of us aren't rich and would rather have the loot.

No use to get into a forum argument over water cooling :lol:

Edited by NOFX