water cooling

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

I expressed my opinion on water cooling and said I can not recommend it. So before assuming water cooling is needed, probably some cleaning and better fans and heatsinks will solve the current problem for must less with much lower risk. Sorry if you took this as a personal attack.

It is just as unsafe as if you decide to run your CPU without thermal paste or a heatsink altogether.

This doens't make much sense. In most cases without these things, especially a heatsink your CPU would either fry in a matter of seconds or your system would shut down due to the safety features built into the bios.

Edited by zerodamage

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My objections was the original statement discouraging water-cooling because "it scares me". As a hardware forum, recommendations should be made based on some factual statement rather than and unfounded fear (and yes, again, it is an "unfounded" fear).

Then you come in and start making derogatory remarks regarding people who use water-cooling just to OC to a certain level (one that is the same as what I mention several times that I have my cpu set at). Fine, have that opinion, but keep it out of this forum. Say you don't like water-cooling, give your reasons why (supported reasons are best), and let it go at that. To call someone, even the hypothetical person, a "wannabe geek poser" because they use water-cooling gives no valid benifit to this post.

We want recommendations and opinions on hardware matters posted here. But make sure it is based on something else besides personal biases. A lot of people here in the MB put a great deal of stock in what you guys post here so it is in everyone's best interest if you keep it on more of a professional level.

BTW, I must say that although we are having disagreements here and there, the discussion it generates is great. I would also like to officially welcome zerodamage back? (sorry, never knew ya b4) from exile. Anyway, if we can keep everything smooth and the discussion on a good level then I think we can really help people out and possibly save them a buck here and there.

I am saying that the risk percentage of a heatsink/fan failure is nearly the same as a water-cooling seal breach, maybe more considering dust buildup on the heatsink/fan has more consequences than it does on a WC cpu mount.

Water Cooling scares me still. Nothing bugs me more than the idea of Liquid of any sort around my tower. Let alone running inside of it. I can not recommend it at all.

That is the first statement you made regarding WC and that is what I took umbrage too. This fear might have been more valid back at the onset of WC but now-a-days the risk has been reduced greatly. If you had left that statement out completely, toned it down a bit, or maybe even put it as your closing remark, your full statement would have come across better.

I personally am going to stop this exchange since it seems my reasoning for posting is being missed but please, try and keep recommendations in based more on fact rather than bias.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Ok dweezil. First thing, I gave my professioal opinion on the matter. If you do not like it, sorry. Personal bias towards water cooling? No, I do not know water cooling. I am sure he is a nice guy though.

I never bashed those who use it one time ever. I said there is no need for it unless you are a super over clocker.

And since Liquid is bad for computers. I recommend staying away from WC at this time. While it has it's benefits for overclockers, regular users with nothing more than heat problems have better alternatives to WC. It is cheaper to get a better heatsick and fan. It is cheap to get compressed air at walmart. usually less than 3 bucks. Take the time once in a while and clean the dust from your Heatsink and Fans. Dust prevents heat from escaping.

Get a better case and a few more case fans.

The topic of this thread was "Water cooling for cheap".

In my experience, cheap leads to bad purchases and in this case, a fried computer and a potentially fatal electrocution to the person with the cheap water cooling unit.

One last thing, when it comes to computers, I base NOTHING on bias. I base everything on fact and experience. You like water cooling. Good for you. I do not and have my reasons. I stated them. Have a nice day and get water cooling at your own risk. I recommend you should really really know what you are doing.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Ok, is that out of our systems now?

yup :D

that last part was not directed at you directly. Just in general to those who want WC.

yep good, all over. I guess it was my bad to say wannabe geek person, wasnt refering to one of you guys at all. I was just thinking of some noob to hardware buying a water cooling system and thinking he is gonna be leet cuz he OCed 200Mhz with it.

Anyways.....I went to the local Comp shop and got a Volcano 7. Just replaced my Dragon Orb 3. The 7 has a 80mm fan on it and on runs at 3700 RPM under a light load instead of the constant 7500 that was extremely loud. Also it dropped by cpu temp by 8 degrees C :D

Anyways.....I went to the local Comp shop and got a Volcano 7.  Just replaced my Dragon Orb 3.  The 7 has a 80mm fan on it and on runs at 3700 RPM under a light load instead of the constant 7500 that was extremely loud.  Also it dropped by cpu temp by 8 degrees C  :D

Is that the 7+? I just put one on for a buddy, I tell you what, it's a solid performing cooler but the clipping mechanism SUCKS!!! I hear that's pretty standard with AMD's though.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Get a can of that spray stuff from walmart. Only like 3 dollars or so, and blast (in bursts) the dust from your heatsick and mobo and what not. You will see a temp drop just by doing that if you dust is bad. Also, look into getting a better case with plenty of fans.

I have the retail basic heatsink and fan on my cpu at the moment (it came with the chip) and my temp rarely goes above 102 deg F with high load. It is usually in the low 90's. OH yeah, get round IDE cables. Less restriction on air flow. Amazing how much that helps.

I'm not even a huge fan of blowing the dust...I actually use a vacuum...good old hoover. Just don't get too close to the stuff so you don't loosen things. Been doing it that way for years and haven't (knock knock) had any issues yet.

I also don't have any paste between my chip and heatsink...I'm sure I should get some but then again...no problems as of yet...course summer isn't here yet.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I'm not even a huge fan of blowing the dust...I actually use a vacuum...good old hoover.  Just don't get too close to the stuff so you don't loosen things.  Been doing it that way for years and haven't (knock knock) had any issues yet.

I also don't have any paste between my chip and heatsink...I'm sure I should get some but then again...no problems as of yet...course summer isn't here yet.

Yes, i do use a vaccuum but in the hard to reach places like the heatsink and under/around cd-rom drives i blow it with that thing and have the vacuum running to catch the dust.

I clean mine once every 6 months. I blow it out every once in a while just to keep it looking spiffy, but every six months, I break out the soap and water (not literally, I normally use alcohol) and clean it up right with the Q-tips. I guess where I smoke so much and live in the dorm (9' x 14') it just gets super nasty on the fan grills and fan blades. The heatsink is always trashed too.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Best reason in the world to not smoke around your computer. Now if your computer looks that bad.. just imagine your lungs. *Ahem*

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Homer,May 9 2003, 04:35 PM] I feel bad for those people that thought a clear acrylic case was a cool thing.  They prolly have a 'dust gray' case in a couple of months.  :lol:

:lol::D:lol:

ROosTEr,May 9 2003, 02:19 PM]
Anyways.....I went to the local Comp shop and got a Volcano 7.  Just replaced my Dragon Orb 3.  The 7 has a 80mm fan on it and on runs at 3700 RPM under a light load instead of the constant 7500 that was extremely loud.  Also it dropped by cpu temp by 8 degrees C  :D

Is that the 7+? I just put one on for a buddy, I tell you what, it's a solid performing cooler but the clipping mechanism SUCKS!!! I hear that's pretty standard with AMD's though.

standard for amd? that design is an Intel orginal u damn Zealot.. don't remember the socket 5,6,7 370?

(edited)

Ya just so eveyone knows.... I have a volcano 7+ on my cpu now...I was intrested in water cuz i thought it would be quiter and cool better.....when I said "for cheep" I ment that I'm not lookin for the top of the line but moreover how cheep i could get water cooling...

And with out trying to get anyone anyone flaming up again, I'd like to ask that you please show a little respect to the forum leaders. As much as I want to put in my own 2 cents I'll reframe and just say lets keep it professional.

Edited by Slaphappy

Thanks for the support Slappy. I think we have that misunderstanding well under control now.

I just recently cleaned out my case again (with compressed air) and the radiator was covered with dust (radiator cuz I water-cool). Blowing it clean didn't really lower my temp any but it is pretty low anyway.

Vacuums are good for cleaning out your case but IMO they don't really break the dust free. A better solution might be a combination of compressed air and a vacuum (blow the dust free and suck it up). Regardless to whether this is causing undue heat to your system, it always best to keep it dust free.

you said you used compressed air.....where exzatly did you get the compressed air... Also I have all the PCI covers on my case removed (and yes at on point in time I did have evey PCI card slot taken up)...but now there are 4 or so open....and there is a ton of dust in my room. is there somewhere I can buy just those little covers for the unused pci slots?

You can get compressed air at Wal-Mart or any local "PC Shop" for abotu $6 or so a can.

Asl for the slot covers, you should be able to get them at a local pc shop as well and I would recommend having all the slots covered as well.. This improves the air flow because otherwise, the air "exhasted" by the rear fan is more than likely outside air that was just sucked in through the pci slots instead of the hot air from your case.

I keep my PC nice and hot, their is nothing like playing CS and

grabbing a pizza pocket from the mini fridge and throughing it

in the pull out bay....yummy!

:ph34r:

I've taken the next step to a cooler computer...I gots me a new case...here it be

I do have a question though. This case has this niffty little tube going to processer fan so it can (in theory) get cooler air from outside the case

When looking at the case I got, the fan on the side is just about in that same place.....Can I buy a tube that will do the same thing and put it in the side panel where that fan would be.......I tryed looking for one but I have no idea what the friggn thing would be called. Not sure if such a thing exzists

hmmm now I was compalining about how loud fans were and stuff....dweez or anyone any thoughs/experience with this stuff

mats you put in your case to keep the noise down....not sure if it would help or not..or if it would have any unthought up cons

I've taken the next step to a cooler computer...I gots me a new case...here it be

I do have a question though.  This case has this niffty little tube going to processer fan so it can (in theory) get cooler air from outside the case

When looking at the case I got, the fan on the side is just about in that same place.....Can I buy a tube that will do the same thing and put it in the side panel where that fan would be.......I tryed looking for one but I have no idea what the friggn thing would be called. Not sure if such a thing exzists

Gimme a few, I'll find youy a link. It looks ghetto IMO though. (Not the idea, just this implementation)