water cooling

Ok i've been intresed in water cooling for some time now but I'd like to know a little more about it.

-First question is....how loud is it? My computer right now sounds like it'd gonna take off and fly around my room.

-Second question....I assume that buying a case (ex koolance) would be the cheapest/best idea to go for...NewEgg had one for 139 (koolance bottome of the line) but it's gone now for whatever reason. Whats the cheepest watercooled case I'm gonna find. Or would it be better to get and external unit.

-Third question... I've been looking at all kinds of heatsinks for the processer (for water cooling that is) and i've seen one for 38 to 80's....Like I said i'm going for cheep here, but is there really gonna be that much differnce between heatsinks...I mean even a bad one it's still watercooled it's kind like beating a dead cow sure it will be cooler but you don't need all that profomace.... or for doing the little bit of OC i wanna do (very much like dweez has already done) would I need a slightly better HS?

ahhh. I love the hardware section :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, watercooloing is probably overkill if you just want to OC a little bit. You could probably get by much cheaper with some quieter fans and then drop the money on a quality water cooling unit when you have the cash. However, Koolance does make a nice add-on unit now that "brings water-cooling to the masses" Check it out, it may be exactly what you are looking for.

well heres the prob see... cpu not OC at all...i just folded up all my cords in my case so there is good air flow.....I checked the amount of compound on my heatsink...I played cs for a few hours...

the CPU fan is Screaming at 4887 rpm while the other two case fans are at 2766 (intake in the bottom front, out the top back)...

I check the cpu heat...122...I have a small room and the fans are friggen screaming

Well if water is not the anwser...what steps should I take to try to cool this beast....case is a midsize...there are only places for the two case fans I have in right now...and it'd be preatty hard to start hacken this case up. The cpu heatsink i have is the Thermaltake volcano 7+

the case fans i got cost 4 buck each...that should tell you enough about them....also I saw this thingy

can ya tell me anything about it?

and maybe I should get some diff case fans...any you would recomend?

Both the fans I have are whatever the normal case fan size is....but I dont' know what that is...and I've found lots of case fans...does higher RPM speed traslate into better proformace cuz mine are spinning at 2766 and alot of the one's i've look at only spin at 2000 or so.

umm ok what exzatly does the compound you put on your cpu and heatsink do...I put it on a little thinner and were has my cpu use to run at 104 just sitting now it runs a 120 just sitting....maybe i sould try putting a little more on.....grrrr why won't this thing just cool down

The thermal compound is there to help transfer the heat from the cpu to the heatsink. You need to have a thin, even layer but not too thin or it can't transfer properly. Also, if you put on too much, it then acts like an insulator and will keep the heat from transferring. I usually apply it with a razer blad to keep it nice and smooth.

As for going water-cooled, my case tends to be pretty loud, having the PS fan, the rear exhaust fan, plus the 3 fans for the radiator (it is even loud when you turn the radiator fans down to the lowest speed). But "loud" doesn't really bother me.

Before you go to a "water-cooling" kit though, you need to decide if that is the case you are gonna want to keep for a while. I like my case but it really is too small for my tastes. If I were you, I would get the case you want first and then get you the wc-kit for it (remembering that the wc-unit will take up some space...in my case, I lose the whole top 5.25 bay for housing the radiator plus I lose the front bottom for housing the pump).

I don't use the thermal compound...guess I should get some. It's supposed to help with the heat conductivity between the CPU and the heatsink.

I could see where water cooling would work well but man...I'd be afraid of hooking up water around my PC...bad enough when I spill a beer on the desk :lol:

I'm not even sure if 120 is too hot for a cpu. I run with 2 case fans (one front and one rear) 1 CPU fan, 1 video card fan and one on the power supply.

I don't use the thermal compound...guess I should get some.  It's supposed to help with the heat conductivity between the CPU and the heatsink.

:blink:

Well, I've got two rear, one top, one side, one on inside blowing on the harddrive, PS, CPU, and graphics card...

2+1+1+1+1+1+1=8 fans. Not too loud. 40 CPU and 35 mobo. I would like to upgrade the CPU though.

I don't know that I NEED to even think about water cooling though.

Well I think it's pretty safe to assume a bigger case would have better air flow because of more fans....... but as far as cases go for a guy who dosn't give a flip about moding is there any real advatage to getting one thats alum. and is it worth the price?

Let's see, I have 7-80mm's 1-92mm 1-120mm 2-40mm.

Slap, If you want to watercool, I would recommend buying the pre-fab case. If not, invest in a steel server tower. Larger cases do, in fact, produce better airflow. Not necessarily due to more fans, they just have more room and paths for air to travel. You also want to check to see whether you have positive or negative airflow, i.e. whether you have more air being taken in than blown out, or vice verse. I am trying for an even amount myself.

well I only have the two case fans front and back.....and they run at the same rpm according to my mb monitor...So i'm not really shure how else I would know weater my air flow is pos or neg.....

Well I guess what I really need a case I can add more fans too....but only way I can do that for this case is to try to cut it up (it's steel) and that'd be kinda hard. I look through newegg to see what cases they have with atleast 4 fans....cheepest one was 139..ouch but it was an alumminum case. Ya think 4 would be overkill for what i'm doing...should I just look for a bigger case with 2 exzaust fans instead of one... and lastly I just wanna ask what ya'll think of this thing and if you think it would actualy help (i't only 10 bucks)

doh...i was looking in all the wrong places....I was checking OC pages thinking they would tell me something about my procss temp...ya my brain just donsn't travel on the same track as most peoples