Anyone tried this?

Preacher

free is free even if it's less than you want, plus it's best program is $20 cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Now if the service sucks I'll be sad but I just bought the phone and will see what it can do while I keep my old phone/plan.

I have looked up the addresses to most of my family member's houses as well as my work address and none of them have coverage under their network. Seems really odd. But maybe it only accounts for 4G speeds and not anything lower.

I have looked up the addresses to most of my family member's houses as well as my work address and none of them have coverage under their network. Seems really odd. But maybe it only accounts for 4G speeds and not anything lower.

I'm interested in seeing how this works out for Preach

I've spent the past 20 minutes trying to figure out their model. The only thing I see is "converting voice to data," but that doesn't explain how they can subsidize free plans. No mention (or even accusations) of data mining, either. 

Year old, but the most insightful I could find:

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2013/10/01/freedompop-is-hitting-us-carriers-where-it-hurts-with-its-new-free-mobile-phone-service/

Might consider getting one of these for my mom. She never, ever uses a cell phone, but I'd love her to have one in case of emergency.

Looking forward to your review, Preacher.

Sounds like a sweet deal, but quality has to be mediocre. For years, I want to switch to a different carrier, but outside of Verizon, people get call drop when indoor or service is terrible when travelling. 

Edited by Protomanx13

• 2 weeks later...

Dude that place still hasn't sent it yet. ugh. Ordered on the 6th for crying out loud.

More research seems that it's not actually cell usage, it's VOIP over the 4g/3g sprint network using their Ap. I guess it's basically like skyping. I'll still give it a try but I have my doubts it'll be high quality.