Review on ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor (Swift PG278Q)

Garychios

So I just purchased the monitor.  I had a 30" Professional Dell Monitor P series and it worked well, but I heard Jackie and all the hype of his 24" and about the 1ms response time and the 144 Hz.

So Went and bought this 27" for a local retailer who had it for the same price as online stores have it for which is around $799.  If I did not like it, It would be an easy return.

Mind you this monitor is 3" smaller than the dell I had.

You cannot even compare.  Everything is so crisp and smooth.  The 1ms response time and 144 Hz (once set on the desktop settings) really show how nice my graphics card with this monitor is.

The desktop even looks better.  Then playing games, is awesome.  I cant believe I was playing on my 30" dell this long.  My 30" dell is no slouch, but this 27" makes gaming so much more fun.

It also looks just as nice with a nice stand and thin bezel.  It is paired with a single GTX-780ti.

I recommend this monitor not on stats, but on how awesome it performs now with my video card.  I played Call of Duty and L4D2 last night to see how it compared.  So much crisper.

Regards

-Turbo

• Like 1

If you think the colors look a little washed out, try this:

1. Download this:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.icc

2. Go into your C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\ folder and drop that file into there.

3. Right click on your desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Color Management -> Color Management...

4. In this new window under the "Devices" tab, click on "Add..." and find the color profile you just threw into your folder path above and click OK.

5. Click on the profile and click on "Set as Default Profile".

6. Click on the Advanced tab

7. Click on "Change system defaults..." (you may need to do steps 4 and 5 again)

8. Click on the Advanced tab again

9. Click on the check box "Use Windows display calibration" and you should see the colors change.

You can always change it back if you want to as well, but people use that site to get better color outputs from the monitor, especially when it's set to 144hz. There are some profiles out there for the same monitor that differ based on what video card you have.  I used the one on that site and the different shades of black weren't...defined.    Mine was really washed out when setting it to 144hz but when I got a color profile (labeled for AMD cards) it looks TONS better.  Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Test out your "black level" on this site too:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Seriously. This monitor is different than the one you purchased Turnbull. Its much different.  Its got so many other things going on with it.... sigh.  ~$800 dollars is a bit much right now, but I am drooling heh :)

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel