I finally did it...

NOFX

(edited)

Whats NOFX been up to since returning from the grand adventure last summer?  Well, I got a sweet raise to return to my awful job.  I used that to land another programming job making the same amount.  I didn't really want to return to the office life, but I've seem to have gotten myself in a very lucrative position and this job is a lot better than my last.  I had to seize the opportunity.

Over the years, I've posted my opinion of mortgage, rent, the system, etc....  I sold my town home in 2009 and got back to square one.  No money in the bank, but not debt either.  I started living cheap and banking cash.  Which is why I was able to quit my career and take 2014 to enjoy for myself.  

Ive been watching the housing market for the past few years.  It's pretty much recovered.  Especially if you are in a city like Denver.  Even here in my small town, people are now able to get loans.  The deals that were out there in 2012 are harder to come by now days, but with patience and preparation, you can find them.  

I just signed the contract on a house today.  If all goes well, I'll be a homeowner again sometime in August. I picked up a 1250 sq ft. foreclosure for 56k.  Paying for with cash.. Its tax assessed at a little over 80k and would probably sell for somewhere around there. It looks like someone had fixed it up to try and sell it, only to lose it to the bank.  It needs very little work, if any.

Anyway,  I've finally accomplished my goal.  Ive lived below my means for a few years and was able to save up enough to just buy a place outright.  I'll probably stick around this new job for at least a year or so to stack some cash, but who knows after that.   With minimal bills and a roof over my head, I'm free to jump on an opportunity that comes my way. :peace:

Edited by NOFX
  • Like 5

(edited)

Thanks dudes. Dropping everything behind to chase my dream of living out of my pack in woods for 4.5 months was the best decision I ever made. Aside from pushing myself to my limits physically and mentally, I had lots of time to reflect on life and think about what's important to me. I also got to discuss anything imaginable with other like minded people and gain their perspectives as well. If anything, the experience made me much more confident in my beliefs. I'm not going to say that I know what I want.. I think that is a journey we all face that constantly changes... But I will say I am much more sure about the things I don't want... And working for the bank is one of them.

Money is a social construct that we all must use, but we don't have to let our lives revolve around it. Most of us are just trading our time for money. Our time is the most important thing we have. Use it wisely.

Oh yea.. I have no idea what that means Turnbull

Edited by NOFX
  • Like 1

Money is a social construct that we all must use, but we don't have to let our lives revolve around it. Most of us are just trading our time for money. Our time is the most important thing we have. Use it wisely.

Preach it brother! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...