HL2 Purchasing Info

Raven

Big news from the world of VALVe; Gabe Newell has spilled the beans to all us gamers on how we are going to acquire the highly anticipated sequel to Half-Life. Over at Planet Half-Life a confirmed Gabe Newell e-mail was posted revealing Half-Life 2's different pricing plans and purchasing methods. For those of you concerned about the pay to play rumor, fear not! You can purchase the game normally as a boxed unit from a retailer or though Steam with a one time payment. This will allow you to enjoy the mods, multiplayer, and of course single-player content of Half-Life 2. However there is a catch; when new content is released by VALVe, such as expansion packs, Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike 2, you will have to pay separately for those games.

Gabe Newell also went on to talk about the Steam subscription service which does allow you to receive new content as soon as it's released with no additional charge. So if you purchase Half-Life 2 as a game subscription via Steam there will be a monthly charge, most likely around $9.95/month, but you will get free access to any additional content such as the afore mentioned games.

Another thing to note for all you gamers out there stuck in the dark ages is you can purchase a cheap single-player only copy of Half-Life 2 from a retail store which has no mod or multiplayer support. And if that doesn't do it for you there will be a collector's edition package with "cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff."

The legitimacy of this correspondence has been confirmed by both Gabe and Planet Half-Life.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

If I need to pay extra for TF2 and CS2 and the like, then valve can kiss my donkey.

But you honestly have to think about things when they try to propose this. Do you think Valve and Steam will use this money that we have to pay to good use. Will they offer a complete and legit anti-cheat system in their new mainframe way of gaming. Will they get patches and betas out quicker since they are being funded more. Will 1.6 be more fun than what we are used to? I didn't like the beta, but you have to look at things while it goes...

this is gettin very ghetto... whats up wit all the subscripsion stuff... i am a kid and i dont just have money lying around the floor... ( i wish i did...) So i have no clue so i will have to read up on it...

i would buy it pay the purchaing fee but not a monthley fee...

NuT- <_<<_<<_<:fatty::fatty:

eventually every new game that is available for online play will charge a subscription.

Not quite true. All Games that are hosted BY a corporation will and SHOULD be pay to play (EQ, SWG, AO, UO, the list goes on), but games run on private servers have no right to be charged for. (Tribes, HL, etc) Not on a monthly basis... The hardware, the bandwidth, and the administration are ALL done by private users... A company has no right to collect money that SHOULD be collected for that kind of maintenance, when they're not even doing the work. =p Just my two cents.

cause you know the average hacker aint payin money to hack...(i hope)

Lol I've seen guys that pay to play EQ and UO specifically to exploit the game and create fake uber chars and then sell them on ebay... ;-) Slightly different motivation there though. ;-)

And there will be hackers that wont do pay to play but will buy CS just the same =p

Edited by NyxErinyes

think about it....quite a few hackers are young kids who think it makes them cool when they can beat everyone....do you think they paid for the game in the first place? just like they did with normal HL they'll get mommy and daddy to pay for them to play the game....heck it's just like a babysitter to some parents.

:yuck:

OK so I did some reading and I think I understand this more how it works..

You have 2 options when Half-Life 2 is released...

1) You can buy the game in the store (50$) and play online for free as long as you want. But when CS2 comes out, in order to play you will have to go to the store and buy that game as well (40$) and same goes for TF2 (40$)... But you can play online for free..

OR

2) You can buy a subscription to Steam for 9.95$ a month and download these games at this price. Meaning you wont have to pay the 50$ HL2 will cost in the store you will just have a massive download. Then When CS2 and TF2 is released you will be able to download them at no extra cost. Also I would assume this would go for all other games they come out with.

---- I think this is how they are doing it. From my interpretation it was, but I may be mistaken. So really I think both deals are fairly good, I think it just depends on how many different type of games you are planning on playing.

Edited by whiplash