g0t 0ne :)

Fatty

GC Founder

WOWOWO! I just got off the phone with the butcher.

Field dressed: 210 lbs. He commented on the 24 inch neck.

Me? Now I know why I had such a time dragging this thing!

Wow, my mounted buck was 30 lbs shy of this, at 180. Yikes!

fatty... the key to make it way more tender is to let it set out... for a while... it makes the meat kinda break down from its used state... it is so much better when you do that...

NuT- :):):)

Fatty Posted on Oct 13 2003, 08:20 PM

Um...he use a special knife to get that taste?

:lol:

It is a terrific feeling to look down and see a winters worth of meat for a whole family because you have bagged a deer. Funny how primal it is...I mean we can go to the grocery store anytime, but still a GREAT feeling. I like dried sausage links. Also our butcher makes this summer sausage (I dont normally care for) with cheese and jalapenos in it...YUM! You gonna broil or grill those backstraps Fatty? How do you do it? I just had an Elk backstrap...YUM! 0o0

GC Founder

When I make the jerky, it's in a bucket for a few days before I start the drying.

fatty... the key to make it way more tender is to let it set out... for a while...

Tell me your experience in this (i.e. how long you've been hunting, doing your own harvesting, etc).

After that, tell me exactly how and where you let your meat "sit." I mean, a long, long time ago in a galaxy not far from here, they used to cover it with salt and let it sit because they didn't have refridgeration...but then again they died at 30 years old too.

They let meat sit in Europe still. Sit still in Europe that is. Anyhow...they let it sit out for awhile...like a month. I hear that the steaks are great. My old man will put a steak in the fridge for a week before cooking... :huh:

GC Founder

Exactly, so now you said it....decomposition = bacteria...and all though a deep freeze after that time period might take care of it, I'm not going to mess around with what I serve my family. ;)

Well, my dad got a nice 4 pointer Saturday. It was too dark to to tracking in the dark and there was NO blood at all. He knew the arrow hit b/c it was in the deer as it ran...

Woke up bright and early at 6:00( :tired: ) and went to find him. After about 1/2 hour we finnaly found a blood trail about 200 yds away. Followed is prolly another 500 yards down the hill and into this very swampy area. Finnaly found the deer after about 2 hours of tracking then we had to drag it threw the swamp and up the mountain... not fun: crazy: it was all worth it, its now hanging in the shed :D

O yea.. this was all in the pouring rain too :blink:

sorry no pictures.. dont have a digital camers :/

GC Founder

Ack, that's a long haul.

And the story continues, and it's jerky time!

Here's what I did (took me as long as the Browns game today):

cuttinjerky.jpg

And now, it's time to sit for a while...after a few stiring episodes in the next day and a half, Tuesday morning I'll put the first batch in to dry:

marinating.jpg

GC Founder

Oh, btw, it's the same recipe I used last time....which personally was second to no jerky I've ever had.

Here it is, try it some time!

jerkyrecipe.gif

PS. It's not complete without two other secret ingredients that I've added.... :ph34r:

my dad finnally started butchering his today. Looks like he shot a little high and might have ruined some of the back strap on the right side. :( o well the left is still good cant wait till he gets some jerky going in the dehydrator

-_- :wub: