Playaa

First Question:

What was Sadum and Gemura? [Can't spell]Second Question:

The Bible looks bad upon homosexuality?

Third Question:

Why did Jesus turn a man into sand?

Fourth Question:

WHat is the whole water to wine thing?

I am not trying to FLAME ANyone, I do not want to HARM anyone in ANYTHING I ask, this is for anyone who can answer it. A few "anti-christians" have told me this, and I didn't quite get it. I rather not hear it from someone who despises the religion, but I would like both sides.

So if anyone could answer me those question's I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zweih's answers

sodom and ghamora (sp?) werer two cities full of sin that GOD wanted to destroy because of their wickedness. HE said HE would have saved the cities had one righteous man been found in either.. and yet there was none, so they were both destroyed. basic point, GOD hates wickedness, deceit, sin. remember, there is a devil if there is a GOD.

homosexuality in itself isnt exactly.. i dunno, bad, maybe rev knows more about that than i do. homosexual MARRIAGES though, are quite different. marriage is supposed to be the union of a man and a woman in the presence of GOD to always be there for eachother, and etc. not a man and a man. it was meant to be that way.

im not sure of the man into sand story your talking about, sorry.

water to wine is just a miracle Jesus preformed. back then, wine wasnt as potent as it is now and it was used especially by Jesus to seal covenants (promises) and put closure on meetings and such.

1. what Zweih said.....2 cities full of evil and God said, show me 10 righteous men and I'll save em. I think he even went down to 1 righteous man and still couldn't be found. So they died.....

*younger readers, stop reading*

2. I honestly don't know how ppl can consider homosexuality natural. Let's look at it from a completely scientific point of view and not a religious point of view. What does it take to reproduce our species? It takes sexual interaction between a man and a woman. Scientifically speaking, a man is physically designed to interact with a woman. We are both respectively built (be it through creation or evolution) to combine perfectly to reproduce the species. Now the fact that this is considered fun is just a bonus I guess. So on that note (that we are built for it) why in the world would it be natural to have intercourse with something you aren't designed to reproduce with? If someone were to have sex with a monkey, ppl would consider it sick because it's not natural. So why am I supposed to think of homosexual sex in any way besides unnatural and sick?

That's my 2 cents, not saying I hate homosexuals.....I just don't like what they do....

*moderators, feel free to edit this if you found it offensive.*

3. not sure about this one either Orbital. Unless you mean when God turned that female into a pillar of salt? and he did that because she did what he told her not to, which was look back at Soddom and Gamorra (Soddom specifically I believe) as they were being destroyed. She was regretting what God was making her leave and God said "BAM!!" and she was salt....

4. Water to wine, was when Jesus did his first miracle (I think) at a wedding and turned some water into wine because they were running out. Now like all his stuff it was more that it seemed. It appears as if Jesus just turned some water to wine, poof; miracle. But if you read the account deeper you'll realize that it was a lesson in obedience. Jesus was asked by his mother to do this because it was her friends wedding (or something) and they were running out of wine and she didn't want her friends wedding to be ruined. So when the father of the bride(groom?) asked for more wine, Jesus told the servants to draw water from a large barrel and take it to the guy who wanted wine (important man at this particular wedding). Now would you wanna take some water to the guy in charge when he asks for wine? Well the servants did it anyway cause Jesus was a respected guy, and AFTER they obeyed and took the water to the man, it turned to wine. The servants drew out water and took it to him and discovered it had become wine. (This was courtesy of Max Lucado, not my own discovery)

on the subject of drinking being wrong, the Bible says don't partake of strong drink and that our body is a temple so care for it. Todays wine, even by the standards of that time, isn't considered strong, and is even considered healthy to a degree. So no Jesus wasn't aiding those ppl in getting toasted off their rockers....he was just helping in a celebration of a holy affair (marriage). I personally have never had a drop of alchohol in my life(apart from cough medicine) and don't ever plan on it because I don't see the point.

hope we answered those questions well......any more?

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Thank you Playaa, thank for you the answers. If you don't mind I'd like to ask a few more later on. SOrry again Fat, it won't happen again, I erased my post that had no concen in Mini's.

I'm here to back you up with my own twisted yet surprisingly realistic views and facts to the subject at hand while trying to keep a balance of tolerance and the pure stated facts of God.........LOL J/k I'll just tell things how I think and know it to be.........Ask some really tough questions, I love those. Also, this is open to anyone including other Christians......it's good to answer things we wonder about.

I am a Christian, but my friend posed a good question to me. I never really did any research on it, but I still thought that it was a somewhat valid answer. I have a probable answer myself, but I just want to know what other people come up with.

1) In the different Gospels, the incident of the women going to the tomb to find it empty. The different Gospels have 3 different accounts of who was there. Who was, and who wasn't, or were they all?

2) There are 2 accounts of Judas' death. 1 states that he hung himself, and then he was buried (Matthew 27:5). Another says that he fell "headlong" (headfirst)(Acts 1:18). What really happened?

These have been questions that got me thinking. Maybe someone can give me some help.

to DoD's questions

1) I haven't taken the time to look at this one.....I'll get back to ya....

2) the 2 different accounts are pretty explainable, one was made by a man who was there at the time (not in the exact place, just in the city) and another was made by a man who wasn't around and didn't write it till probably 10+ years later. Paul wrote the second one (in Acts) saying Judas bought a field with the money, whereas Matthew says Judas gave the money back and the priests bought a field with it. So it could be that Paul was writing what he thought happened, or he could have even had a sarcastic tone that we can't get from the text, because most likely everyone who read what he said, knew what happened to Judas. So maybe he was just making a joke.......

Even though the Bible is inspired by God, it's still written by individual men, meaning that each book will have the flavor of that writer.

It is my strong belief that homosexuality is an evolutionary development in human kind, designed to check our population. It is well documented that when a species is in so much excess that there are not enough resources for the entire species to thrive, a percentage of the community loses the interest/ability to reproduce sexually to help check the community. The way i figure... They dont do US any harm!! Why not let them live in peace!? We look very harshly down at people who discriminate against people for race or religious belief, but its okay to discriminate for sexual persuasion? Its not like these people choose to be homosexual or not, it's in their genes.

Frankly, i know a few homosexual guys myself, and they are in general nice and perfectly normal people.

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

I can more then 100% agree with Barto then. Word brotha, preach on. My respect for you has just gone up 2x fold. I respect all people's view, as long as they do not bring harm to others in their own pursuits, then it is questionable, not wrong, but questionable.

So my question is...

[i am sorry if you have already answsered this, but after reading the posts, I have not gotten this clearly]

1) Homosexuality is wrong in Christianity?

2) WHy was hell created? Isn't Christianity a "all forgiving" religion? [i just never got that quote, I do not mean any harm.]

3) Who is the devil? I never got HOW he got there?

4) What are angels for? What are they exactly?

5) Was Jesus really born on Dec. 25? Some people have said no.

6) What is Easter Sunday?

I am sorry, I just want to learn more about Christiainity, unlike a few in this forum that do not need to be mentioned, I want to learn as much as I can, I would like a broader view of this world and it's people.

btw, Barto, for that quote, You #1! #1 Barto!

Answers to some of Orbit's questions

1.) Yes, because the Bible forbids it.

2.) Hell was created for Satan and his followers. (Which is anyone that does not accept Christ) It is a forgiving religion. We are to forgive everyone, however there is one unpardonable sin that God said....and that is to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Which I believe means to not accept Christ.

3.) The devil was at one time an Angel in heaven. But he decided that following God was not enough. He wanted to be equal/above God in status. He mutinied against God with other angels trying to overthrow him.(Umm..maybe not the best wording, but I'm trying my best to explain) Then he was thrown out of heaven and became what we call the devil. His original name was Lucifer. He hates us because he knows that when he takes one of us to hell with him it hurts God.....so he uses us as revenge against God.(I think this at least, and it seems to be the most logical reason)

4.) I haven't researched this subject enough to aptly explain it.

5.) No he wasn't but I don't know exactly when it was, but many think it was in the spring or Summer. Actually in regards to December 25, scholars say that the church arbitrarily selected December 25th as the day to celebrate Jesus's birthday in order to counter pagan celebrations of winter solstice. That's kinda weird for me to think about and kinda makes me a little mad.

6.) Easter Sunday is the day we remember to celebrate when Jesus Christ raised from the dead after 3 days in the tomb.

Well I answered them as best I could and to my knowledge and beliefs. Always remember that facts and looking for it can never truly explain Christ fully. You will never truly understand Him or what he really did until you choose to follow and commit your life to Him.

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Thank you so much for your answers. I really do appreciate everyone who is sayin' their part. Here are a few more questions:

1) How come people who don't believe in Jesus Chris are wrong? and Hell bound? I don't accept Jesus Christ, I am Hindu, there is no Christ in my Vedas, or in my life. So am I to you hellbound?

2) Someone told me one day, that I have to be saved. What does that mean? That I am lost?

3) From what people rant and scream about, it seems Christianity isn't so accepting of other religions, becase they are "wrong." Can someone clarify this? I just got a little worried that someone thinks I am wrong, because I do not either know of or believe in Jesus Christ.

Thank you for your time. I just want to clarify everything about Christianity, since I know nothing about it. And I do not like to go unknowing of anything that is so important to so many people.

Thanks for your time, again. I hope this makes none of you angry.

Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guests

I'm sorry Orbital, but according to what we believe in the Bible, the only way to eternal life is through Jesus Christ. The ONLY way. We believe that anyone who isn't a born again christian is going to go to hell, and be forever separated from God. We can't accept other religions because we care about you, and if we allow you to believe something contrary to the Bible, then we have lost you, and you will be punished forever and it will partly be our fault.

To be saved means that you must accept that Jesus Christ died for your sins, you must believe that Jesus Christ is the son of the one true God, and you must repent.

John 3:5-8

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the spirit. Flesh gives irth to flesh, but the spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleses. YOu hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the spirit."

John 3:16-21

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eterenal life. For God did not sendhis Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save teh world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

ok, here's the deal...............

no matter what I say here I'm going to be seen as a self-righteous, pretentious punk who hates everyone.........so I'll just say what the answers are.....no hate in any of them.....

First I must state that, because I believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God put here on earth to die for my sins so that I would be allowed in Heaven (because nothing I can EVER do will earn me a place in heaven), because of this, I agree with what the Bible says, I think there are things in there that confuse me but I don't think that because I don't understand them means they're wrong.

now onto the answers.....

1. People who don't believe Jesus Christ was the son of God (at least ppl that have heard it told) and do not accept him as that, are hellbound because they've chosen to reject Christ. (now ppl who've never heard about him, that's another tale altogether)

2. the phrase "be saved" does imply that someone is lost, and it has become something said by rote too often. But what it really means is, to understand that Christ is the son of God and that he died for your sins to pay your way to heaven. That's the gist of it....

3. No Christianity is not accepting of other religions, and I don't see why they should be. I seriously don't see why ANY religion is accepting of another. (no offense to anyone here) If you say you believe in something with your whole heart and have the faith that it's true, why in the world would you accept something that disagrees with what you've said you believe in? I couldn't possibly say "I'm a Christian and I believe that Christ died for me....etc." and turn around and say, but you could be right too. Because that would mean that I really DIDN'T believe what I said.

My 100% faith in Christianity leads me to reject other religions as true, basically because they go against what I believe. I can't possibly TRUELY believe in Christianity and then say that I could be wrong......that would go against the term BELIEF......and FAITH....

Orbital, I'm glad you want to expand your knowledge and learn about Christianity, I just hope that I don't drive you away by professing my beliefs. I do not believe in your religion as correct. I think you are wrong. That's that. But it doesn't mean I can't accept you as a person (in fact I think you are a great guy who is kinder than alot of Christians I know). Just know that I don't hate you (and I don't hate your religion) I just don't agree with your beliefs...................

and on the topic of homosexuality, I said I didn't hate homosexuals, just don't like what they do. I don't hate alchoholics, but I don't like what they do....in fact my high school mentor (a man who means ALOT to me) told me that he's happy a year ago, and I still talk to him and consider him a great friend, I just don' t like his sexual preference. And I told him that the first time we talked about it, I said "I think you're wrong and you are distorting some views, and that's that, I'll never mention it again if you don't want me to" and I haven't to this day, he knows how I feel........that's all that matters I guess....

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

So, another question:

So, I am going to hell? Even though I have done nothing wrong in my life, or tried not to, I am evil?

Isn't hell the representation of evil? So.. I am a bad person? That worries me, and scares me.

Isn't that a little like black mail? Either accept Jesus Christ, or I'm damned for eternity? Isn't that a little too much to bear for a single soul to handle?

Isn't everyone's faith personal? How can you tell someone is wrong? Isn't it your view vs. theirs?

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but your answer was a bit straightforward and it sounds like I am a "lower life form" because I am not Christian. Please clarify this, I just want to better understand this all.

AGAIN: I am not BASHING anything or anyone, this is just for me to understand. I am just replying to Word's answer, it's a little uh.. unnerving. Sorry if this offends you.

Orbital, you've gotta be the most PC guy I know........you're always apologizing

:)

anyway........

we don't view you as a lower life form any more than I view someone who doesn't understand how to code in VB.Net as a moron (which is to say I don't)............it's just that we've been given understanding before you........

I really don't wanna say this...............................

The reason you're going to Hell is because you refuse to accept Jesus as the Son of God. Like we've said, the ONLY thing you will EVER do in this life to get yourself into Heaven, is accept Christ...........

how you live life (whether you're good or bad) isn't going to change a thing......that's why Christ died for our sins, because we can't earn our way into Heaven.......think about it, how could we POSSIBLY be such a nice person in this life and help SOOO many old ladies across the street that we actually DESERVE an eternity (think about that word......ETERNITY) in complete and utter paradise? How can I buy my way into utopia?

also, on the "how can you tell someone if they're wrong"

I can't..............but I can point them toward the laws that God has laid out for us........

Orbitz, I recommend you read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis..........he has some amazing viewpoints in there that rocked my mind after growing up my entire life as a Christian....

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Wait, now I am COMPLETLEY confused. Playaa You just said... "How you live your life (wheter you're good or bad) isn't going to change a thing)..." Now I'm VERY Lost...

I thought hell and heaven were for people who deserve to be good or evil. I mean, I thought people who were good desserved to be in heaven. That doesn't make any sense.

Someone died for my sins? Shouldn't I repent for my own choices and my own wrong doings? Shouldn't I not do many horrible atrocities in life, but accept someone who died for ME? I do not like that idea.

Shouldn't someone be responisible for their own choices and own ideals?

That just doens't sit with me. Please clarify.

I thought hell and heaven were for people who deserve to be good or evil.
how could someone actually deserve an eternity of paradise? What could you do that is worth that? (just questions....)

Shouldn't I repent for my own choices and my own wrong doings?

yes actually, I'm a complete moron and left that out........but the thing is that the actions will follow the heart. If someone truely believes in Jesus then they will want nothing else but to repent of their sins, which is something you need to do to go to Heaven. A man who isn't sorry for what he did won't go.....

that's what it comes down to altogether.................you won't see an evil Christian (at least not a true one). You will see some mess up, but any Christian that REALLY knows and believes, will show Gods love to all. Sure we mess up and show anger and hatred (like I showed you anger the other night) but I know I shouldn't have said that and I truely do feel sorry for acting that way toward you.

So yeah, that's the only thing we can do to "earn" our way to Heaven, repent and stand ready to submit.....and give in to what God wants which is to believe in his son....

Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guests

Don't worry Orbital, you didn't offend me. But God clearly states that not only do we have no excuse, but everyone is evil. However, there is hope.

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

This means that from Adam and Eve onward, people have tended to blame others, not themselves, for what goes wrong. Romans 1-3 sets forth an important principle that has been widely recognized by recovery groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous: Unless you first accept responsiblity for wrong begavior and stop blaming others, you'll never get well.

Romans 3:10

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

Romans 3:22-26

This Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished, he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Romans 8:1

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guests

How you live your life does make a difference, but as a Christians we have been changed so that we no longer want to sin.

Sorry for yet another passage from Romans, but here ya go.

Romans 6:1

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Now, I'm confused even more.

Okay, first playaa:

You said how do we deserve Eternal happiness, aka Heaven...

How can we desreve eternal suffereing?

You said, that no one will really desserve all that happiness, but what makes it so you desserve all that pain?

Now, word:

No man is righetous, but Christ was half human, so isn't he also NOT righteous. And, arent' we all children of god? So if Jesus Christ was holy, aren't we all part holy?

How does beliving in one man, save us from a ETERNITY.. that means, if you multiply YOUR LIFE SPAN x a GOOGAL [A one with 100 zero's behind it.] divded by .00000000000000001 and put it ALL to the Goggal Power... that is not even A FRACTION of what eternity is.

How do I deserve either? One with paradise? And one with eternal pain?

That is just what doens't suit me. If I am annoying you, just tell me to stop, and I will. I just would like a better understanding of things.

Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guest [Rangers] Word
Guests

You're not annoying Orbital. Here's what Hebrews says on the matter.

Hebrews 3:13-18

And again, "I will put my trust in him." And again he says, "Here am I, and the children God has given me." Since the children have flesh and blood, he too hared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--thatis, the devil--and free those who all their lives were held in slaver by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendents. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

...so, Why was it important that Jesus share our humanity?

1. so that, in dying , he could free us from the power of death.

2. so taht, by becoming the final sacrifice for sin, he could reconcile us to God.

3. and so that, in experiencing temptation, he can better help us with our own temptations.